Transfer an ISA
Transfer your cash or investment ISA to a Barclays Investment ISA and you can access, manage and control all your investments through one secure online account.
Plus, the ISA transfer rules allow you to hold on to the tax-efficient benefits of your previous ISA when you transfer.
How to transfer a cash ISA to a Barclays Investment ISA
You can transfer some or all of the money held in a cash ISA (from Barclays or other providers) from previous tax years into an investment ISA provided by Barclays Investments. To do this, you need to register with us. It takes just a few minutes and then you can begin selecting which of our funds you wish to invest in. When you’ve done this, download, complete and sign your ISA transfer request form and then send it to us. We’ll take care of the rest. This is a one-way process that cannot be reversed.
You can also transfer a cash ISA from the current tax year to us. In this case, you’ll need to transfer the full amount in your current tax year’s cash ISA across to us, and the sum will be treated as if it had been invested in the investment ISA from the outset. This means that you're regarded as never having subscribed to a cash ISA and are therefore entitled to subscribe to a cash ISA later in the current tax year if you wish to do so.
How to transfer an investment ISA to a Barclays Investment ISA
Investment ISAs (from other providers) from current or previous tax years can be transferred into an investment ISA provided by Barclays Investments.
How to transfer
First, register for Barclays Investments where you can download, complete and sign your ISA transfer request form then send it to us. This form will tell us who your current ISA provider is and the funds you want to invest with us. Acting on your instructions, we’ll ask your current investment ISA provider to sell your assets and transfer the proceeds to us as cash. We then invest this cash in the funds you’ve chosen and hold them within your Barclays Investment ISA. You will be out of the market during the transfer – which may take up to 30 days to complete – and therefore will not participate in any rise or fall in the markets during this period.
- Bring your investments together in one secure online account
- It’s easy to buy and manage investments, with cashback offers on eligible funds
- Over 70 funds on offer from more than 20 leading providers
- Barclays expertise, research and insights to help guide your investment decisions
Things to consider before you transfer your ISA
ISA transfer rules and guidelines can help you make sense of the transfer process and highlight key areas for consideration:
- Any money taken out of an ISA cannot be paid back in, unless it counts as a 'new subscription', which is subject to the annual limit (£11,520 for the 2013/14 tax year)
- Be aware that there's no certainty the ISA you transfer-in to will perform as well as or better than your existing one
- Your current provider may charge a fee for exiting your old ISA
- You can transfer money from a cash ISA to an investment ISA – but not the other way around
- Always use the transfer process, as simply withdrawing your money means you lose your tax benefits
If you transfer from an ISA to a Barclays Investment ISA, you take the risk that the value of your investment may go down as well as up. Therefore you may get back less than you invested. If you’re unsure if an investment is right for you, please seek independent financial advice.
1. Lines are open 8am–7pm Monday to Friday and 9am–3.30pm on Saturday. To maintain a quality service, we may monitor and record phone calls. Calls to 0800 numbers are free when calling from a UK landline. Charges may apply when using a mobile phone or when calling from abroad. Read our call charges and information