How to appeal against your lending decision
The appeals process
Our SME business lending appeals process enables you to appeal against a lending decision if you've been declined or aren't completely satisfied with the terms of a lending offer.
Informing you about this process is part of our commitment to supporting you and your business. The process is monitored by an independent, external auditor to ensure that it's fair and effective.
When can I appeal?
You can appeal if your application was declined and:
- The turnover for your business is under £25 million (if it’s part of a group of companies, this applies to the full group)
- Your lending application was declined in the past 30 days
- You provided all the required information to your Barclays Business Manager
- You have not previously appealed this decision
- Your existing lending isn’t subject to formal demand or enforcement or legal proceedings
- Your application doesn’t breach UK law and regulations, doesn’t involve cross-border transactions in countries subject to UN sanctions, and isn’t linked to a product may be used to evade tax
You can appeal if your application was approved but you’re not satisfied with the terms of this finance. This excludes the costs of borrowing, agreed fees and standard terms we apply to the lending facility.
If you don’t fit any these criteria, please talk to your Barclays Business Manager to discuss other ways we can help.
How do I appeal?
Appeals need to be made within 30 days of the original decision about your lending. Make sure to outline your reason for appealing and include any additional information to support your case. To give yourself the best chance of success, talk to your Barclays Business Manager to understand why you were declined, so those reasons can be addressed.
There are 3 ways to appeal:
- You can submit the appeal to your Business Manager, preferably in writing
- If you applied for the lending by phone, you can appeal by calling 0345 605 2345 1 (select the option for lending)
- You can submit your appeal online using the Better Business Finance appeals form
Who reviews my appeal?
Your appeal will be reviewed by an experienced lending specialist within Barclays who was not involved in the original decline decision to make sure the appeal is handled objectively and fairly.
How long does it take to get a decision?
We’ll respond within 30 days of your appeal with written notification. Following this, you can also have a detailed discussion with your Barclays Business Manager.
What can I do if I’ve already appealed unsuccessfully?
If you’ve appealed a decision unsuccessfully, you have the right to make a formal complaint. If you’re not eligible to appeal, we urge you to discuss this with your Barclays Business Manager.
We take our role as responsible lenders very seriously and are committed to working with you to find other sources of funding. This includes a wide range of free support services to help you make the most of your existing resources. You can find them in Business loans help .
Alternative sources of finance
Although Barclays Business may be unable to support your borrowing request at this time, there are alternative sources available to small and medium businesses.
You may want to consider approaching a local Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), which can be contacted at www.cdfa.org.uk
For more information about the appeals process, see Appeals process FAQs .