Cash Card Account
Straightforward banking with no frills
Barclays Cash Card Account is a basic account that offers free, no-frills banking for customers who may not be able to open a regular current account. With this account you can:
- Choose between a Barclays Visa debit card or cash card (ATM only)
- Make payments from your Cash Card Account by Direct Debit or standing order 1
- Withdraw up to £300 a day (if you have available funds) from Barclays ATMs or at Post Offices, or wherever you see the LINK sign
- Manage your account online, by phone or in branch
- Manage your account online by registering for Barclays Online Banking
- Access your account through Mobile Banking
- Get Free Text Alerts to your mobile about your account
- Transfer money to other Barclays accounts online or by phone 24 hours a day
- Bank in more than 1,700 branches nationwide
- Get regular statements to help you keep track of your money
- Personalise your account in the Barclays Features Store 8 – an online interactive hub where you can shape your account to suit your needs
The following are not available on this account:
- An overdraft – so you'll need to ensure your account is in credit before making payments
- A cheque book
For your benefit and protection, please ensure you read the terms and conditions for your account.
Rates and charges for the Cash Card Account are detailed below. These charges and interest rates are variable and the bank reserves the right to amend them from time to time.
Overdrafts and cheque books are not available with the Cash Card Account.
Day-to-day banking services charges
|Payments into your account||Free|
|Issue of Cash Card||Free|
|Paying by Direct Debit / standing order||Free|
|Telephone Banking Read our call charges and information||Free|
|Free Text Alerts with free Near Limit Alert text messages||Free|
|Cash withdrawal from UK cash machines 2||Free|
|Cash withdrawals over the counter at Barclays in the UK 3||Free|
|Cash withdrawals from UK post offices||Free|
|Issue of bank statements||Free|
Debit card charges:
Making purchases or getting cash using your debit card in the UK
|Debit card purchases||Free|
|If you use your debit card in the UK to get sterling anywhere other than an ATM or Barclays branch and currency or travellers' cheques anywhere other than a Barclays branch, Barclays website or Barclays Travel Line (excluding cashback when paying for goods using your debit card)||2% charge (min £1.50, max £4.50)|
Debit card charges:
Making purchases or getting cash using your debit card abroad
|See our rates and charges page for information on international debit card charges.|
Other account services
|Barclays Direct Presentation Service 7||£20|
|Same day transfer of money in the UK using CHAPS||£25|
|Copy statement (per request, per account)||£5|
Charges for unpaid Direct Debits and standing orders
- If a Direct Debit or standing order is due and there is not enough money in your account, the Bank will stop the payment.
- On each day that the Bank stops the payment or payments, an Unpaid Transaction Fee of £8 (maximum per account per day) will be taken from your account.
- We may decide to cancel permanently some or all of your Direct Debits or standing orders if you don't ensure that there is enough money in your account when they are due to be paid. If we do this, we'll write to you and let you know.
- Most charges are applied at the time the service is provided.
- Unpaid Direct Debit and standing order charges are applied at the time the charge is incurred.
Important information about compensation arrangements
We are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). The FSCS can pay compensation to depositors if a bank is unable to meet its financial obligations. Most depositors – including most individuals and small businesses – are covered by the scheme.
In respect of deposits, an eligible depositor is entitled to claim up to £85,000. For joint accounts each account holder is treated as having a claim in respect of their share so, for a joint account held by two eligible depositors, the maximum amount that could be claimed would be £85,000 each (making a total of £170,000). The £85,000 limit relates to the combined amount in all the eligible depositor’s accounts with the bank, including their share of any joint account, and not to each separate account.
For further information about the scheme (including the amounts covered and eligibility to claim) please ask at your local branch, refer to the website Financial Services Compensation Scheme or call 020 7892 7300 or 0800 678 1100.
Barclays Bank PLC may also accept deposits under the following trading names; Barclays, Barclays Bank, Barclaycard, Barclays Business, Barclays Capital, Barclays Commercial, Barclays Corporate, Barclays Financial Planning, Barclays International Private Banking, Barclays Local Business, Barclays Premier, Barclays Private Bank, Barclays Wealth, Standard Life Cash Savings and Standard Life Cash Savings & Mortgages. Deposits accepted from an eligible depositor under these trading names are combined for the purposes of deposit compensation from the FSCS. The FSCS is not applicable to deposits held at branches in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
To open a Barclays Cash Card Account, we need confirmation of who you are and where you live. We need 2 original documents (not photocopies) from the lists below.
To confirm who you are, we need 1 of the following:
- Full, current passport
- Current European Union member state identity card
- Current UK photocard driving licence or UK full paper driving licence
- Benefit books/benefit entitlement letters; includes pension, Child Benefit, income support, disability and Jobseeker's Allowance
To confirm where you live, we need 1 of the following:
- Current UK photocard driving licence or UK full paper driving licence with current address (if not used as identification)
- Gas bill (less than 3 months old)
- Water bill (less than 3 months old)
- Telephone bill for a fixed line (less than 3 months old), not a mobile phone bill
- Local authority council tax bill (current financial year)
- Bank statement (less than 3 months old) from another bank (internet statements are not acceptable)
- Mortgage statement that's less than 12 months old (internet statements are not acceptable)
- Council rent book (must be current)
- HM Revenue & Customs notice of tax coding (current tax year)
You can't use the same item twice. For joint accounts, we'll need this identification from both of you.
If you want advice on what documents to provide or need help completing the application call us free on 0800 015 4996 6 (Textphone 0800 015 4997).
This could suit you if:
- You have difficulty opening a regular current account
- You want to keep tight control of your money
- You don’t want an overdraft
See our alternative accounts if:
- You want an account with extra benefits
Looking for alternative accounts?
Barclays Bank Account – A basic account with an overdraft