Coming to work in the UK?
Coming to work in the UK?
If you’re new to the UK, we’ve got all the information you need to apply for a Barclays account. We’re also available in our branches to help make the process as smooth as possible.
All packed and ready for the UK? Get settled in as soon as you arrive – with a Barclays account tailored to you.
- Contactless debit card, subject to status
- Withdraw up to £300 per day from cash machines if you have available funds
- Register for Online Banking and Mobile Banking 1 and you can check your balance, make payments and manage your account online or on your smartphone
- Pay bills and more with Telephone Banking (you need to register first)
What you need to open a Barclays current account
To open a Barclays current account, you’ll need to visit one of our UK branches. Please take 2 valid and original documents from the list below – one from the proof of ID list and the other as proof of your current UK address. The same document cannot be used to verify both your identity and your address.
Bring one of these as proof of ID:
- Full and valid UK or foreign passport
- Photocard national identity card (we are unable to accept Greek and Romanian national identity photocards)
- Full UK paper driving licence
- A full UK or foreign photocard driving licence
- Benefit entitlement letter (less than 12 months old, confirming benefit payable at time of issue)
- Blue disabled driver’s pass
- Student ID card (youth/student accounts only – NUS & Student Union cards not accepted)
If you’re unable to provide these ID or proof of address documents, please call us on 0345 734 5345 2 to discuss other options.
Bring one of these as proof of current UK address:
- Full UK driving licence (if not already used to verify your identity)
- UK or foreign bank/credit card statement (less than 3 months old and not printed from the internet). Store card statements are not accepted.
- UK mortgage statement (less than 12 months old and not printed from the internet)
- Council Tax bill, payment book or exemption certificate (less than 12 months old)
- Council/Housing Association tenancy agreement. Private tenancy agreements are not accepted
- Council rent book/card (showing a payment within past 12 months)
- Benefit letter/adjustment letter (less than 12 months old and addressed to you. The letter must confirm that the benefit was payable at the time of issue)
- Letter/bill from utility company (less than 3 months old, except for water bills, which must relate to the current charging period. The letter/bill must confirm that you receive a service from the company and cannot be printed off the internet). Mobile phone bills are not accepted.
- TV Licence letter or Direct Debit schedule (less than 12 months old. It must include your name and address and confirm the existence of a TV Licence)
- UCAS Letter (student/graduate accounts only – less than 12 months old, showing offer of a place on a course in the current or next academic year)
What will happen next?
Once you've opened your account we'll give you all the information you'll need about the features and benefits of banking with Barclays.
Your card and PIN (where relevant) will be ordered as part of the account opening process and will be sent to you by first class post.
We look forward to welcoming you to Barclays.
1. You will need a Barclays current account and be registered for Online Banking to access Mobile Banking. Access to Mobile Banking is subject to network coverage of your mobile service provider and your subscription with them for mobile/wireless internet. Your mobile phone will need to be enabled for internet browsing. You may be charged connectivity and usage rates by your mobile service provider. You will need your PINsentry or passcode to access Mobile Banking.
2. To maintain a quality service, we may monitor and record phone calls. Read Call charges .