Updated cookies policy - you'll see this message only once.
What we're doing to protect your account
What we’re doing to protect your account
We’re always keeping an eye out for threats from hackers and fraudsters. Here are some of the measures we take to make sure your money is safe.
Free security software
Protecting your devices with security software helps keep your accounts safe from malicious software used by fraudsters.
If you use Online Banking, take advantage of our free Kaspersky Internet Security software offer. Just log in to Online Banking and download the Kaspersky software.
Not registered for Online Banking? Get basic access in just a few minutes. Register for Online Banking .
Our Online and Mobile Banking guarantee
If a fraudster manages to steal money from your account, you’re automatically protected by our Online and Mobile Banking Guarantee . This means we’ll refund any money that may be fraudulently taken from your account, as long as you've used the services correctly.
PINsentry provides a strong layer of protection in addition to your login details, and helps keep your accounts even safer.
It works by asking you to insert your Barclays debit card and PIN into a card reader that we send you. The reader generates a unique security code that you'll need to type into Online Banking. And if you register for our Mobile Banking app, you can get the code on your smartphone using Mobile PINsentry. That way, you get the additional security when logging in without needing to carry your card reader around.
Our online security system
- Data encryption – Our Online Banking service is hosted on a secure, 128-bit encrypted server. This means that any information you send us is scrambled for your protection
- Timed log out – We’ll log you out if you don't use the service for 10 minutes. This gives you added protection if you forget to log yourself out
- Deactivation of your log-in details – We'll automatically disable your access to Online Banking if 3 incorrect log-in attempts are made. This is to stop fraudsters making repeated attempts to get into your accounts
Security standards and accreditation
We've been awarded the following independent certifications for our security measures to protect your money and personal information:
- Kitemark for Secure Digital Transactions – awarded for Online Banking, Barclays Mobile Banking and Pingit by the British Standards Institution (BSI). Independent security testing for Kitemarks happens every 3 months
- ISO/IEC 27001:2013 certification – also awarded for Online Banking, Barclays Mobile Banking and Pingit, this is an internationally recognised standard for information security management systems, used to manage sensitive data. Our people, policies, processes and systems are regularly audited by external assessors for this certification
- Cyber Essentials Scheme – this is a government programme that recognises good security practices in business. We've been awarded it for the UK components of Barclays UK and Barclays International, having been externally tested against an internationally recognised standard
As soon as you receive a Barclays Visa debit card, you’re automatically registered for Verified by Visa . We’ll occasionally ask you for some extra security information to verify your purchases when you checkout online, protecting your card against unauthorised use.
We’re always checking for any suspicious activity on your account, so you may get a text message or call from our automated system to confirm a recent transaction or a change of address.
We may sometimes delay or decline transactions that are out of character for you, or even block your account until we can confirm that you’re making the transaction. Keep your contact details up to date so we can get in contact quickly to minimise any inconvenience.
If we do call, we’ll never ask for your passcodes, passwords, PIN, card details, PINsentry codes or sensitive account information. If we send you a text message, we’ll only ask you to reply with a ‘Y’ or an ‘N’. (These text messages are free to reply to in the UK and will cost no more than a standard text from other countries).
If you get a call, voicemail or a text from someone claiming to be from our Fraud Team and you think it’s suspicious, call us back using the number from our website. You can also verify the phone number using our telephone number checker .