What we're doing to protect your account
Protecting your account
We’re always keeping an eye out for threats from hackers and fraudsters. Here are some of the measures we take to make sure your money is safe.
Protecting your devices with security software helps protect your accounts from malicious software used by fraudsters. If you use Online Banking, take advantage of our FREE Kaspersky Internet Security software offer by
logging-in to Online Banking
and downloading the Kaspersky software now.
Not registered for Online Banking? Get basic access in just a few minutes. Register for Online Banking .
If a fraudster manages to steal money from your account, you’re automatically protected by our Online and Mobile Banking Guarantee . This means we’ll refund any money that may be fraudulently taken from your account, as long as you've used the services correctly.
PINsentry provides a strong layer of protection in addition to your login details, and helps keep your accounts even safer. It works by asking you to insert your Barclays debit card and PIN into a card reader that we send you. The reader generates a unique security code that you'll need to type into Online Banking. And if you register for our mobile banking app, you can get the code on your smartphone using Mobile PINsentry. That way, you get the additional security when logging in without needing to carry your card reader around.
- Data encryption - Our Online Banking service is hosted on a secure, 128-bit encrypted server. This means that any information you send us is scrambled for your protection
- Timed log out - We’ll log you out if you don't use the service for 10 minutes. This gives you added protection if you forget to log yourself out
- Deactivation of your login details - We'll automatically disable your access to Online Banking if 3 incorrect log in attempts are made. This is to stop fraudsters making repeated attempts to get into your accounts
Barclays has received a number of awards for its commitment to customer security. These include:
- BSI ISO 27001 certification - awarded to Barclays Online Banking, Barclays Mobile Banking and Barclays Pingit for security and resilience, in relation to customer access and end-to-end payments
- The Government Cyber Essentials certification - for Barclays commitment to protecting customer data and finances when transacting online or digitally on Barclays Mobile Banking and Barclays Pingit
- BSI Kite mark for Secure Digital Transactions - The Barclays Mobile Banking & Barclays Pingit apps have been independently tested to ensure they meet stringent security requirements and can be trusted with customers’ financial and personal data
Barclays Secure (in association with Verified by Visa ), protects your cards against unauthorised use when you shop online at participating retailers. Barclays Secure assesses whether additional security information is needed to verify your purchase. In most cases, no further verification is required but, in certain circumstances, we’ll ask for some additional security information.
We’re always checking for any suspicious activity on your account, so you may get a text message or call from our automated system to confirm a recent transaction or a change of address. We may sometimes delay or decline transactions that are out of character for you, or even block your account until we can confirm that you’re making the transaction. Keep your contact details up to date so we can contact you quickly to minimise any inconvenience.
If we do call, we’ll never ask for your passcodes, passwords, PIN, card details, PINsentry codes or sensitive account information. If we send you a text message, we’ll only ask you to reply with a ‘Y’ or a ‘N’ (these text messages are free to reply to in the UK and will cost no more than a standard text from other countries.
If you get a call, voicemail or a text from someone claiming to be from our Fraud Team and you think it’s suspicious, call us back using the number from our website. You can also verify the phone number using our telephone number checker .
Think you’ve been a victim of fraud? Call us:
Online Banking helpdesk: 0345 600 2323 1 (+44 247 684 2063 outside the UK or from a mobile) – 24 hours a day 7 days a week
General fraud concerns: 0345 734 5345 1 – 7am to 11pm, 7 days a week
Debit card fraud: 0800 3891 652 1 (+44 160 452 9410) – 24 hours a day 7 days a week
Lost or stolen debit cards: 0345 945 4545 1 (option 1) (+44 192 8 58 4421 outside the UK or from a mobile) 24 hours a day 7 days a week
Barclaycard fraud: 0844 811 9111 1 – 7am to 11pm, 7 days a week
If you've received a suspicious email that claims to be from us, please forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org and then delete the email immediately.
Recognition of our efforts to keep you and your money safe
We work hard to keep your money and personal details safe, and we’re proud when our efforts are rewarded. So far, we’ve earned the following recognition.
- BSI ISO 27001 kitemark – awarded to our Online Banking service, and our Mobile Banking and Barclays Pingit apps. The kitemark recognises the work we've done to keep your account access and payments safe and secure
- BSI Kitemark for Secure Digital Transactions – awarded to our Mobile Banking and Barclays Pingit apps. Both apps have been independently tested to ensure they protect your financial and personal data
- A Cyber Essentials badge – a government-backed scheme that recognises good security practice in business