- Get 2 months’ free cover this year and 1 month’s free in each of the next 2 years when you renew with us 1
- Plus an average 15% online discount 2
- Up to £80,000 contents cover
- 24/7 UK-based call centre
Your personal possessions mean a lot to you and some will have a sentimental value that's irreplaceable. With our home contents insurance 3 you can at least reduce the impact if they are lost, damaged or stolen.
We want you to be able to choose the level of cover that suits you best. Once you've entered your details, we'll offer you three levels of cover (Less, Standard or More) with prices to match. You can take one of these off-the-shelf options or you can tweak it further to add on the extras you need for your home. We'll then offer you a new quote. You control; you choose.
|Contents insurance: What you get as standard|
|Possessions cover should they be lost, stolen or damaged||£50,000|
|Or, if you get a quote online, you choose your cover level||Up to £80,000|
|Cover for valuable items like jewellery and antiques||£10,000|
Valuable single items – £2,500 (items of a higher value can be specified on your policy – see below)
|Damage caused by removal companies||Up to contents sum insured|
|Replacement locks and keys if your keys are lost or stolen||£500|
|Optional contents features for an additional fee|
|Accidental damage cover to home entertainment equiptment, mirrors and glass and the option to cover all other accidental damage to contents and business equipment|
|Personal belongings cover for loss or damage, anywhere in the world – choose from £2,000 to £10,000 of cover|
|If you have a valuable item worth more than £2,500, this will need to be specified on your policy|
Home emergency cover 8 – £1,000 for call out, parts and labour in the event of a domestic emergency
|Legal expenses cover – £50,00 to pay for a qualified person to act on your behalf in the event of a legal dispute|
Protected no claims discount – safeguard your accumulated no claims discount if you have been insured and claim free for 5 years
|Matching items – cover for undamaged items that may form part of a set, suite or pair, should one item be damaged and cannot be repaired or replaced with a match|
|Pedal cycles cover – level of cover £300 – £2,500 per bike|
|We also offer
|24/7 claims line|
|Paper free claims notification|
|Dedicated claims handler with direct telephone number for you to speak to them throughout your claim|
Get combined buildings and contents insurance
Buy buildings and contents together and get a 10% combined discount plus an average 15% online discount 2. Find out more about buildings and contents insurance
Switching home insurance promise
Also – as part of our Switching Promise – we’ll pay any fees your existing insurer charges you to switch your home insurance to Barclays 4.
For help or to apply by phone, call 0800 068 8097 5
Find out more about what's covered and what's not covered
It's your home. Why shouldn't it be your home insurance? We'll present you with three popular packages to start off with: then, if you choose, you can add, remove or change the excess levels of the features shown below.
These are our three standard packages, which you can customise, this may affect your premium.
|Protected no-claims discount||No||No||No|
Use our simple Get a quote form to build your policy with only the cover you need and the optional extras you want.
Home insurance key exclusions
These are some of the things that aren’t covered:
- Excess. You will have to pay the 1st part of most claims – this is known as an excess. Your schedule details the excesses that apply to your policy.
- Claims beyond your limits. Limits apply for certain covers – they are shown on your schedule and in your policy booklet.
- Certain loss or damage (for example theft or malicious damage) caused by you or members of your household.
- Damage caused by chewing, scratching, tearing or fouling by domestic animals.
- Replacement of any undamaged items forming part of a pair, set or suite where replacements can’t be matched – however wider cover is available to replace certain undamaged items under the matching items cover options for both buildings and contents insurance (including personal belongings). See policy for full details.
Find out more with our guide to Barclays Home Insurance 4.94 MB Remember it's important to know exactly what's covered and what's not.
Home insurance eligibility
As long as you are 18 or over and the following statements are true, you can complete a Barclays home contents insurance quote online.
The property to be insured:
- Is your main residence
- Isn’t a listed building
- Has no more than five bedrooms
- Is in good repair with no past subsidence or underpinning and is of standard construction (ie brick, stone or concrete and roofed with tile or slate) if this is not the case we may still be able to offer you cover if you call 0800 068 8097 4
- Has no special exposure to flood or storm damage
- Isn’t used for business, except for home/office work that requires no employees or visitors
- Is not left unoccupied for more than 40 consecutive days a year
Neither you nor anyone you usually live with:
- Have more than £80,000 of contents or £10,000 of valuables
Even if you can't confirm all these statements we may still be able to give you a home and contents insurance quote. Call us on 0800 068 8097 4.
Find out more about what's covered and what's not covered
This could suit you if:
- You want contents insurance only
- Your home is rented
- You live in a flat or maisonette
- You want 2 months’ free cover this year and one month’s free next year when you renew with us 1 an average of 15% online discount 2
Try our other options if:
- You need buildings insurance too
- You'd like extra protection for contents worth more than £80,000
1. This offer is only available to new policyholders if you obtain a quote between 7 January 2013 and 7 July 2013 for Barclays Home Insurance and you purchase the policy before the quote expires. The quote will be valid for 90 days and will show the premium for your first year, with 2 months already deducted.
The offer is not available for policies purchased from an aggregator or other price-comparison website. Prices on aggregator sites may be lower.
The loyalty offer in the second and third years of your policy is only available if your policy is renewed from the day after the end date of your previous year’s policy.
If you pay your premium in monthly instalments, you will not pay for the final 2 months of the first year of your policy. If you renew your policy, you will not pay for the final month in the second and third years of your policy.
If you pay for your premium in a lump sum at the start of your policy, your premium will be reduced by 2/12ths in the first year of your policy. If you renew your policy, your premium will be reduced by 1/12th in the second and third years of your policy.
If you cancel your policy, you will be entitled to a pro-rata refund of the premium paid, less the cancellation fee. Home emergency and Legal expenses are exempt from refund of premium. Full cancellation rights are available in the policy document.
This offer may be withdrawn or amended at any time. If the offer is withdrawn, any quotes previously obtained will be valid for the original 90 day period.
2. Discount between 10% to 22% depending on your personal circumstances and subject to minimum premiums. Home Emergency Cover and Legal Cover are excluded within the online discount offer.
4. Switching Fee Promise terms and conditions: Worried about paying a cancellation fee if you want to switch your insurance to Barclays?
Don’t be. We promise to reimburse you for any cancellation fee that your existing insurer may charge for switching to Barclays.
- Purchase a Barclays Home Insurance policy (either single or combined cover)
- Cancel your previous home insurance policy and pay the insurer's cancellation fee
- Send a copy of your previous insurer’s cancellation confirmation together with confirmation of the cancellation fee you have paid to Barclays Customer Service Centre, PO Box 7463, Perth, PH2 0YX
5. Lines are open Monday-Friday 8am-10pm, Saturday 8am-6pm and Sunday 10am-4pm. To maintain a quality service, calls may be monitored or recorded. Calls are free from UK landlines.
6. To view PDF files, you will need a PDF file viewer installed on your computer.