Children's bank account: BarclayPlus
- A children's bank account that you can open with as little as £1
- Earn interest – and the more you save, the more interest you'll earn from 0.25% AER / 0.25% gross pa 1 on balances of £1 or more
- Barclays cash card for withdrawing up to £50 a day from Barclays cash machines 2
- Barclays debit card 3 that lets you shop or withdraw up to £300 a day from cash machines, as long as you've got money in your account
- Pay cash straight into your account – perfect for saving your pocket money or allowance
- No monthly account fee and free day-to-day banking
Rates & charges for the BarclayPlus account are detailed below. These charges and interest rates are variable and the Bank reserves the right to amend them from time to time.
|Issue of cash cards/VISA debit cards||Free|
|Payments into your account||Free|
|Telephone Banking Read our call charges and information||Free|
|Barclays Direct Presentation Service 7||£20|
|Same-day transfer of money in the UK using CHAPS||£25|
These charges are applied at the time the service is provided.
|Cash withdrawal from UK cash machines 4||Free|
|Cash over the counter at Barclays 5||Free|
|See our debit card rates and charges page|
You cannot use your cash card abroad.
Important information about compensation arrangements: We are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). The FSCS can pay compensation to depositors if a bank is unable to meet its financial obligations. Most depositors – including most individuals and small businesses – are covered by the scheme.
In respect of deposits, an eligible depositor is entitled to claim up to £85,000. For joint accounts each account holder is treated as having a claim in respect of their share so, for a joint account held by two eligible depositors, the maximum amount that could be claimed would be £85,000 each (making a total of £170,000). The £85,000 limit relates to the combined amount in all the eligible depositor’s accounts with the bank, including their share of any joint account, and not to each separate account.
For further information about the scheme (including the amounts covered and eligibility to claim) please ask at your local branch, refer to the website Financial Services Compensation Scheme or call 020 7892 7300 or 0800 678 1100.
Barclays Bank PLC may also accept deposits under the following trading names; Barclays, Barclays Bank, Barclaycard, Barclays Business, Barclays Capital, Barclays Commercial, Barclays Corporate, Barclays Financial Planning, Barclays International Private Banking, Barclays Local Business, Barclays Premier, Barclays Private Bank, Barclays Wealth, Standard Life Cash Savings and Standard Life Cash Savings & Mortgages. Deposits accepted from an eligible depositor under these trading names are combined for the purposes of deposit compensation from the FSCS. The FSCS is not applicable to deposits held at branches in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
To open children's bank accounts, we need confirmation of who you are and where you live – this is required by government regulations. We need 2 original documents (not photocopies) from the lists below. If you're under 16, these documents can be in your parent's name.
To confirm who you are, we need 1 of the following:
- Full passport
- European Union National Identity Card
- UK photocard driving licence or UK full paper driving licence
- UK Armed Forces ID card
- An introduction from a parent or guardian who's an existing Barclays customer (where none of the above are held and the child is aged up to and including the age of 17)
To confirm where you live, we need 1 of the following:
- UK photocard driving licence or UK full paper driving licence (if not used as identification)
- Gas bill (less than 3 months old) with evidence that the bill has been paid
- Water bill (less than 3 months old) with evidence that the bill has been paid
- Telephone bill for a fixed line (less than 3 months old) with evidence that the bill has been paid. We can't accept mobile phone bills.
- Local authority (council) tax bill (less than 3 months old) with evidence that the bill has been paid.
- Bank statement (less than 3 months old) from another bank
This could suit you if:
- You're 11 to 15 years old
- You want to earn interest
- You'd like a cash card or a debit card
See our alternative accounts if:
- You're looking for a children's savings account
- You're a parent and want a trust fund
Looking for alternative accounts?
Young Person's Account – A bank account for 16 to 19 year olds
Children's Savings – Bank accounts for kids – designed for parents
2. You can also use your Barclays cash card wherever you see the LINK sign and your Barclays debit card wherever you see a PLUS sign.
3. To apply for a Barclays Visa Debit Card, you'll need permission from your parent or guardian. If you're a parent, please note that if you give your child a gift of money that produces more than £100 of gross interest per year, the income will normally be taxed as yours. Most children don't pay tax on savings interest. If this is the case for you, ask for the R85 form at a branch when you open your BarclayPlus children's bank account or go to the HM Revenue and Customs site and then once we receive your completed form, we'll pay interest without deducting tax.
4. Barclays will not charge you for using your card in Barclays or Link ATM. Other companies may make a charge but must tell you on-screen before you commit to any transaction. This relates to Sterling transactions in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Gibraltar only.
5. Some branches may require advance notice if you request a cash amount over the counter that exceeds your daily ATM withdrawal limit.
6. If you use your debit card abroad, you'll be charged a 2.99% foreign exchange charge. On top of this, if you're getting cash over the counter at a bank (including Barclays), or using an ATM other than a Barclays ATM or those within the Global Alliance, you'll also be charged 2% of the transaction (minimum charge £1.50, maximum £4.50) and there may be other charges. See which banks are in our Global Alliance . The 2.99% foreign exchange charge is included in the exchange rate used by the card scheme to convert the currency amount into sterling on the day it processes the transaction.
7. The Direct Presentation Service provides rapid cheque clearance.