Foreign Currency Account
- Bank in the currency of your choice
- Make and receive foreign payments
- Reduce your exchange rate risk
- You need a Barclays sterling account before you can open a Foreign Currency Account
- An account that helps you reduce the risk of fluctuating exchange rates
- You can open a Foreign Currency Account or Currency Deposit Account in a wide range of currencies
- Regular statements to help you keep track of your money
- Chequebook (for Foreign Currency or euro Accounts)
- Creditbook (euro Accounts only)
Transfers and payments
To transfer money to and from your Foreign Currency Account, call us on 08457 165921 1, or +44 191 541 2009 if you’re calling from abroad.
To make a payment from your currency account to another company or individual, please visit your local branch.
Statement frequency, certificate of interest and financial history reports
Statements for your currency account are sent on twice a year from the date you opened your account. Statements are also available on a daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis. Fees apply, as contained within our Foreign Currency Account rates and charges guide.
You can get a statement of interest by calling us. It shows interest details for an account for both a calendar and financial year, which is sometimes required for tax purposes. Financial history reports are also available on request and show more detail than a normal statement. Fees apply for both of these, as you can see in within our Foreign Currency Account rates and charges guide.
Closing your account
To close a Foreign Currency Account, please call us on the number above.
This could suit you if:
- You make and receive foreign currency payments
- You want to reduce exchange rate risk
- You'll maintain a minimum balance of $2,000 or the foreign equivalent in your account
See our alternative accounts if:
- You're unlikely to maintain a minimum balance of $2,000 in your account
- You are looking for a currency deposit account 900 KB