Higher Education Account
- No monthly account fee
- Contactless debit card
- Interest-free overdraft up to £1,500 1
For your 1st year after graduation:
Up to £1,500 – 0% interest pa (variable)
Over £1,500 and up to £3,000 – 19.3% interest pa (variable)
Smart banking to get you going
- Register for Online Banking , Telephone Banking and Mobile Banking
- Get Free Text Alerts about your account to your mobile
- A network of more than 1,500 branches
- Contactless debit card to make payments easier and faster (subject to status)
- Apply for an overdraft up to £1,500 interest-free in your 1st year after graduation and up to £1,000 interest-free in your 2nd year after graduation.
- Option to extend your overdraft up to £3,000 at 19.3% interest pa (variable)
Representative example for your 1st year after graduation:
Up to £1,500 – 0% interest pa (variable) 1
Over £1,500 and up to £3,000 – 19.3% interest pa (variable) 1
Lower interest free tiers apply in future years
Higher Education Account overdraft
- Apply for a Personal Reserve that gives you an extra agreed amount 1
- From 16 June, Personal Reserve will no longer be available for new customers. We're introducing Emergency Borrowing. Read more about our overdraft changes
All benefits are subject to terms, conditions and exclusions. Please read the policy documents to ensure you know what's covered and what's not.
Why do I need to show ID?
In short, because of government regulations. We're legally required to verify who you are and where you live before we can open your account. To do this, you'll need to take 2 original documents (not photocopies) from the lists below into any branch.
To confirm who you are, we need 1 of the following:
- Full passport
- European Union member state Identity Card
- UK Photocard driving licence or UK full paper driving licence
- UK Armed Forces ID card
To confirm where you live, we need 1 of the following:
- UK photocard driving licence or UK full paper driving licence with current address (if you haven’t already used this to prove who you are)
- Gas bill that’s less than 3 months old
- Water bill that’s less than 3 months old
- Telephone bill that’s less than 3 months old (mobile phone bills aren't acceptable)
- Local authority or council tax bill issued within the current financial year
- Bank statement from another bank that’s less than 3 months old (internet statements aren't acceptable)
- UK credit card statement that’s less than 3 months old (internet statements aren't acceptable)
If you’re applying for a graduate account, we also need to see proof that you’ve completed your studies, such as your degree certificate.
If you have any questions about the documents you need, including other options available, please speak to a Personal Banker at any of our branches.
If you have an existing student account with Barclays your account will be automatically upgraded to the Higher Education Account, provided that you:
- Are 18 years of age or older
- Have completed your full-time higher education within the past 3 years
- Are a resident of the UK 2
If you don’t already have an account with us, you must meet the criteria above and will also need to:
- Be in permanent employment or have a firm job offer (minimum 6-month contract)
- Provide a degree certificate granted within the past 2 years
For the purpose of the student package, your graduation date is taken to be 30 June of the final year of your course. The end date of the graduate package is 26 June 6 years later for the Higher Education Account. For example, if you graduate in June 2013, you’re entitled to the graduate package of benefits until June 2015 for the Higher Education Account. If you graduate in September 2013, you’re entitled to the graduate package benefits until June 2015 for the Higher Education Account.
This could suit you if:
- You'd like an overdraft
- You want an account with no monthly fee
- You're a recent graduate
See our alternative accounts if:
- You're not a recent graduate
- You'd like extra benefits
Consumer Moneyfacts Awards 2013 – current accounts
We’re pleased to announce that we won Student Account Provider of the Year.
We were also nominated for 6 other awards, including:
- Online Banking Provider of the Year
- Current Account Provider of the Year
Read more about the Moneyfacts Awards and nominations
Looking for alternative accounts?
Graduate Additions account – Graduate Additions is the account with added extras