Unsure what to search for? Other customers found these helpful.

Identification for bank accounts

What do I need to open a bank account?

If you’re applying for a Barclays Bank Account or a Premier Current Account you'll need to show us 2 valid and original documents from the list below - one from the proof of ID list and the other to give proof of your current UK address. The same document cannot be used to verify both your identity and your address.

Proof of ID documents

Full and valid UK or foreign passport, that has the Machine Readable Zone*

Photocard national identity card, that has the Machine Readable Zone*

Full UK paper driving licence

A full UK or foreign photocard driving licence

Benefit entitlement letter (less than 12 months old, confirming benefit payable at time of issue)

Blue disabled driver’s pass

Student ID card (youth/student accounts only – NUS & Student Union cards not accepted)

Proof of current UK address documents

Full UK paper driving licence (if not already used to verify your identity)

UK or foreign bank/credit card statement (less than 3 months old and not printed from the internet). Store card statements are not accepted.

UK mortgage statement (less than 12 months old and not printed from the internet)

Council Tax bill, payment book or exemption certificate (less than 12 months old)

Council/Housing Association tenancy agreement​. Private tenancy agreements are not accepted

Council rent book/card​ (showing a payment within past 12 months)

Jobcentre Plus letter confirming National Insurance number​ (less than 3 months old)

Benefit letter/adjustment letter (less than 12 months old and addressed to you. The letter must confirm that the benefit was payable at the time of issue)

Letter/bill from utility company​ (less than 3 months old, except for water bills, which must relate to the current charging period. The letter/bill must confirm that you receive a service from the company and cannot be printed off the internet). Mobile phone bills are not accepted.

TV Licence letter or Direct Debit schedule (less than 12 months old. The document needs to detail your name and address and confirm the existence of a TV Licence)

UCAS Letter​ (student/graduate accounts only – less than 12 months old, showing offer of a place on a course in the current or next academic year)

*A Machine Readable Zone or MRZ is present on the vast majority of passports and National ID Cards. It comprises of two or three lines of alpha, numeric and chevron (<) characters.

If you’re unable to provide these documents, please call us on 0345 734 53451 to discuss the other options available.

Important information

1. To maintain a quality service, we may monitor and record phone calls. Call charges