Barclays Blue Rewards
Start earning rewards of up to £180 a year, with a monthly £3 fee, £800 paid into your account and two Direct Debits paid out every month. Conditions apply.
Earn rewards of up to £180 a year.
- Earn £84 a year with our Loyalty Reward
- Earn £60 a year if you have a residential mortgage with us
- Earn up to £36 a year if you have home and contents insurance with us
- Rewards are paid monthly
What you get
Earn £7 a month for banking with us
- Pay in at least £800 each month
- Pay out at least 2 Direct Debits each month
- Pay your £3 monthly fee
Earn rewards each month
- Earn up to £3 a month when you take out or renew your buildings, contents or combined cover with us
- Earn £5 a month if you have or take out a residential mortgage with us
- Other rewards available
Earn cashback with over 110 retailers
- Earn up to 7% cashback on your Expedia travel bookings
- Earn cashback when you shop online with our partners like Boots, GAP and more
- Save on your TV, broadband or home phone switching with Simplifydigital
- Save on your home’s energy by switching with energyhelpline
Barclays Blue Rewards calculator
Find out how much you could earn with Barclays Blue Rewards. Just pay £3 a month and meet the eligibility criteria.
Earn £7 a month when you join Barclays Blue Rewards
Earn £5 a month if you have a mortgage with us
Earn £3 a month if you take out or renew your home insurance with us
Earn an average of 4% cashback when you shop online with our SmartSpend partnersTip
Earn cashback when you shop through your Barclays Blue Rewards homepage with our SmartSpend partners including Boots, GAP, Clarks, M&S, Toys R Us, WHSmith, B&Q, Hotel Chocolat and more.
We calculate this cashback on the average reward of 3% our customers receive from SmartSpend plus an additional 1% you get as a Barclays Blue Rewards customer. The actual cashback you receive may differ.
Earn up to 7% cashback on your Expedia travel bookingsTip
You'll get 7% cashback when you book a hotel or 4% cashback when you book a flight and hotel together with Expedia.
We calculate this cashback on the lower rate of 4%. If you book hotels only, you’ll get a higher cashback rate of 7%.
Here's how much you could earn a year with Barclays Blue Rewards:
£ a year
Joining is easy. See below.
You could earn £ a year
To earn cashback rewards from Barclays Blue Rewards, you must pay a monthly fee of £3 (£36 a year), which will be automatically taken from your account each month.
The total cashback reward displayed is an indication only. The amount you receive may differ depending on the actual amount you spend with our SmartSpend partners. You must meet the eligibility criteria requirements for Barclays Blue Rewards to receive your reward payment(s).
You can earn cashback through Barclays SmartSpend free of charge, but you’ll get an extra 1% on purchases when you join Barclays Blue Rewards. This applies to our SmartSpend shopping and travel partners. Details of the level of cashback and the payment terms for each SmartSpend partner are available on the SmartSpend partner pages.
How to join
Already bank with us?
Joining takes just a few moments if you have a suitable current account. Your account will need to be registered for Online Banking or the Barclays Mobile Banking app. If you’re a Premier customer, you can benefit from Barclays Blue Rewards and Premier Rewards.
Don't bank with us?
You can open an account with us online in minutes. Build a current account that suits your needs – and then join Barclays Blue Rewards. And if you’re moving to us from another bank, we’ll handle the switch for you.
Enjoy exclusive products and benefits when you join Premier Banking. To open a Premier account, you must have either, an annual gross income paid into a Barclays current account of over £75,000 or over £100,000 saved or invested with us.
Membership of Barclays Blue RewardsJoining and eligibilityWhen you join we'll ask you to choose a suitable current account for Barclays Blue Rewards. Most of our accounts are suitable, including Premier. The only accounts you can't join with are: Cash Card, Young Person's, BarclayPlus, foreign currency accounts, Wealth and Business. If you have a joint account, only 1 holder can use that account to join. Other account holders can use a separate, suitable account to join if they have one.We'll check your chosen account on the first working day of each month to make sure that you did the following in the previous month:
- Paid in at least £800 (conditions apply) – you can read the terms and conditions by selecting 'View my rewards details' on your rewards homepage
- Paid out at least 2 Direct Debits
- Paid the £3 monthly fee
Monthly fee and Loyalty RewardWe'll take the £3 monthly fee from your chosen account on the first day of each month (or if that's a weekend or bank holiday, the next working day). The fee will show in your statement as 'Blue Rewards fee'.We'll pay your Loyalty Reward into your Rewards Wallet on the same day, as long as you do the 3 things above in the previous calendar month.Rewards you receive for being part of Barclays Blue Rewards may be subject to income tax and you may need to declare them to HM Revenue & Customs.If your chosen account doesn't meet the monthly eligibility checkWe'll check your chosen account at the end of each calendar month, and let you know if you haven't met the criteria. We'll send you an email at the beginning of the month to confirm that you didn't meet the criteria, and let you know what you need to do next.If you continue to not meet the criteria we'll close your Rewards Wallet – and you'll stop earning rewards. If we close your Rewards Wallet, we'll transfer any rewards you may have earned into your chosen current account, and stop taking the monthly fee. We'll add any pending SmartSpend cashback into your chosen current account at the lower rate.If you want to leave Barclays Blue RewardsJust let us know using Online Banking or your mobile banking app.We'll add your available rewards balance into your chosen current account. Any pending SmartSpend cashback will be paid at the lower rate into your chosen current account (eg travel that you have booked but not yet taken).
Rewards terms, conditions and eligibility
These terms and conditions supplement the Additional conditions for Barclays Blue Rewards (see accordion below) and explain how you can earn Loyalty Rewards if you hold or take out one or more qualifying Barclays products.
The products that could give you Loyalty Rewards
Mortgage Loyalty Reward
You can get our Mortgage Loyalty Reward if you hold or take out a residential mortgage with us.
You’re only eligible for this reward on 1 mortgage at any time and it’s not available on our buy-to-let mortgages or staff mortgages taken out before 2003.
Loan Loyalty Reward
You can get the Loan Loyalty Reward if you have or take out a personal loan with us, except for the following loan products which don’t qualify for Loan Loyalty Rewards: Professional Career Development, Resolve, Staff Season Ticket, Staff Career Development and all Staff Loans taken out before September 2013.
You’re only eligible for the Loan Loyalty Reward
- For one personal loan at any one time
- If your loan repayments are up-to-date, there are no arrears and we haven’t written off your loan
We might stop paying your Loan Loyalty Reward if you fall behind with your repayments, there are arrears, or we write off your loan.
Home Insurance Loyalty Reward
You’ll get our Home Insurance Loyalty Reward when you take out or renew either buildings or contents cover, and more rewards if you opt for both or Finer home insurance.
You need to join Barclays Blue Rewards first, or do so within 30 days of your policy start date, to be eligible for this reward. Otherwise, you won’t be eligible until you renew.
It’s not eligible for any of our student possessions, starter contents, home emergency, legal services, gadget, bike, sports equipment, personal items and student contents cover.
Your rights under your insurance policy won't be affected by being a Barclays Blue Rewards customer.
You’re only eligible for the Home Insurance Loyalty Reward on one policy at any one time.
When and how you’ll receive your rewards
Rewards for Barclays products
We’ll add your Mortgage Loyalty Reward, Loan Loyalty Reward and Home Insurance Loyalty Reward into your Rewards Wallet soon after the first working day of the month. Payments will start on the first working day of the calendar month that follows
- Joining Barclays Blue Rewards if you have an existing mortgage or existing loan
- Completion of your new mortgage
- Opening of your new loan
- The starting date of your insurance policy
As long as you have Barclays Blue Rewards
- Your Mortgage Loyalty Reward will be paid every month for as long as you have the mortgage
- Your Loan Loyalty Reward will be paid every month for as long as you have a loan unless we stop paying your Loan Loyalty Reward because your loan repayments are not up-to-date, you are in arrears or we write off your loan.
- Your Home Insurance Loyalty Reward will be paid every month for as long as you hold the policy
When you renew your policy, top up your loan, switch rates, borrow more, move house or remortgage from another lender, please check to see what Loyalty Reward you’ll be eligible for with your new mortgage, loan or home insurance policy.
We might revise your Mortgage Loyalty Reward and/or Loan Loyalty Reward in the future to make sure that the reward remains competitive and reflects changes to our costs over the term of your mortgage and/or loan. We might also add or remove any product from Loyalty Rewards. We’ll give you 2 months’ notice before making any change and if you don’t agree with the changes, you can cancel your Barclays Blue Rewards without charge in Online Banking or in the Barclays Mobile Banking app.
If you leave Barclays Blue Rewards and re-join later, you'll need to renew or take out new home insurance products from us to qualify for the Home Insurance Loyalty Reward.
Where a mortgage or loan is in joint names
- If you’re both members or both become members of Barclays Blue Rewards, the reward will be split 50:50 between you (if there are more than 2 of you, it will be split between the two people who have held their current account with us for the longest period of time)
- If one of you leaves Barclays Blue Rewards then 100% of the reward will be paid to the remaining policy holder from that point onwards
- If only one of you is a member of Barclays Blue Rewards, that person will get 100% of the reward
Where the home insurance policy is in joint names
- If you’re both members of Barclays Blue Rewards at the point of application, the reward will be split 50:50 between you (if there are more than two of you, it will be split between the two people who have held their current account with us for the longest period of time)
- If one of you leaves Barclays Blue Rewards then 100% of the reward will be paid to the remaining policy holder from that point onwards
- If only one of you is a member of Barclays Blue Rewards at the point of application, that person will get 100% of the reward
Extra cashback from our SmartSpend partners
Whenever you are paid cashback from our SmartSpend partners, you’ll earn an additional 1% enhanced cashback on top of the standard rate of cashback. If you leave Barclays Blue Rewards, you’ll only get the standard cashback. Details of the level of cashback and the payment terms for each SmartSpend partner are available on the SmartSpend partner pages.
We’ll pay your cashback into your Rewards Wallet as 2 separate transactions. One will be for the standard cashback; the other will be for the additional 1% enhanced cashback for being a part of Barclays Blue Rewards.
Barclays Blue Rewards, Current Account Switch Service Offer - Terms and Conditions
Receive double rewards and cashback in June, July and August 2016, if you:
- Complete a full switch to a new or existing eligible Barclays current account using the Current Account Switch Service (CASS) between 18 April and 20 May
- Join Barclays Blue Rewards using the Barclays account that you’re switching to as your nominated account between 18 April and 20 May
- As an existing Barclays Blue Rewards customer, ensure your nominated account for Barclays Blue Rewards is the account you switch to using CASS
- Meet the monthly eligibility criteria for Barclays Blue Rewards
Only one offer available per customer.
Only rewards and cashback earned in May, June and July will be doubled.
You’re not eligible for the offer if you are switching from a bank/building society that does not participate in the Current Account Switch Service. Please check the Current Account Switch Service website to see if your bank/building society participates.
The following current accounts are not eligible for Barclays Blue Rewards: Barclays Basic Current Account, Young Person’s, BarclayPlus, foreign currency or Barclays Wealth or Business accounts.
Additional conditions for Barclays Blue Rewards
Who can join Barclays Blue Rewards
To join Barclays Blue Rewards, you need to be a resident in the UK for tax purposes and have an eligible current account with Barclays. You’ll need to nominate an eligible Barclays current account for Barclays Blue Rewards to get the benefits. Your account can be a joint account, but only one of you will be able to join Barclays Blue Rewards from that account – so we’ll tell the other person if you join so they know they can’t also use that account to join Barclays Blue Rewards.
If you have a Cash Card account, a Young Person’s account, BarclayPlus, a foreign currency account, or a Barclays Wealth or Barclays Business account, we’re sorry, these are not eligible current accounts and you can’t use these to join Barclays Blue Rewards at the moment. However, we will keep reviewing and adding to the range of accounts that are eligible for Barclays Blue Rewards.
The monthly fee
We charge a fee of £3 each month. Your monthly fee will be taken from your nominated account on the 1st of each month (or if that’s a weekend or bank holiday, the next working day). The first monthly fee will be taken in the month after you join Barclays Blue Rewards. It will show in your statement as ’Blue Rewards fee’.
What you have to do to earn Barclays Blue Rewards
To earn Barclays Blue Rewards, you must do three things each calendar month:
- You must have at least £800 paid into your nominated current account, for example through your salary or pension (some payments won’t count towards the £800 – please see below).
- You must make at least two different direct debit payments from your nominated current account.
- You must pay the monthly fee.
When working out how much you have paid into the account, we will ignore:
- Amounts received from other personal Barclays accounts in your name, including any joint accounts or savings accounts. (If money is paid in from a Barclays Business Account, this will count towards your qualifying amount)
- Amounts paid out from your Rewards Wallet
- Any interest that we pay you
- Any refunds you receive from us.
- As long as you do these three things in the previous calendar month, we’ll add a Loyalty Reward of £7 to your Rewards Wallet on the 1st of each month (or if that’s a weekend or bank holiday, the next working day).
Please check the Barclays Blue Rewards website barclays.co.uk/ bluerewards for details of the additional offers that you can qualify for when you join Barclays Blue Rewards and any additional product terms and conditions that apply. For example, you can earn rewards if you hold or take out a Barclays residential mortgage product, if you hold or take out a Barclays personal loan product, or if you take out a Barclays home insurance product after you have joined Barclays Blue Rewards, and you can earn a higher rate of cashback when you buy through Barclays SmartSpend too. We’ll keep the website updated with new offers that you can qualify for and we’ll explain on the website how and when you can get these additional Barclays Blue Rewards and theadditional terms that apply. We’ll add them to your Rewards Wallet as long as you are a part of Barclays Blue Rewards and you have done and continue to do the three things set out above in ‘What you have to do to earn Barclays Blue Rewards’.
The rewards that you’ll receive for being part of Barclays Blue Rewards may be subject to income tax and you may need to declare them to H M Revenue & Customs.
Your Rewards Wallet
We add any rewards you earn into your Rewards Wallet, which you can access through Online Banking or Barclays Mobile Banking. You can see the amount of rewards that you have earned, and your available balance. You can ask for a payout of your rewards from your Rewards Wallet at any time through Online Banking or Mobile Banking into your other Barclays accounts. You are not permitted to put money into your Rewards Wallet directly, and you won’t get a cheque book or any card with your Rewards Wallet.
Section 10 of the Retail Customer Agreement (‘Sharing information about you with tax authorities abroad’) explains our obligations to report information to tax authorities. This means the balance in your Rewards Wallet will be treated as an account, and may be included within any relevant tax reporting required by that condition.
Cancelling Barclays Blue Rewards
If you want to cancel Barclays Blue Rewards, you can do so at any time either through Online Banking or the Barclays Mobile Banking app. If you cancel within the first 14 days of receiving these Additional Conditions and you have already paid a monthly fee, we’ll refund the fee, unless you have already received any rewards in to your Rewards Wallet.
We may cancel Barclays Blue Rewards immediately if you close your nominated current account or are no longer resident in the UK for tax purposes. We may also cancel Barclays Blue Rewards if you fail to meet the three conditions to earn Barclays Blue Rewards. We will give you two months’ notice before cancelling but we will not cancel if you start meeting the conditions again before then.
If we or you cancel Barclays Blue Rewards:
- Any balance shown in your Rewards Wallet will be paid into your nominated current account
- You will no longer be eligible for any pending Rewards (such as Loyalty Reward and mortgage, loan or insurance rewards that are for the term of the product) that have not yet been shown in your Rewards Wallet
- Any pending SmartSpend cashback will be credited into your nominated current account but not at the higher rate
- We will no longer charge you the Barclays Blue Rewards monthly fee in future months.
Keeping you informed
We’ll always keep you informed about the rewards you’re getting and how they may change over time. We’ll send information about your Barclays Blue Rewards to you electronically using texts, email, Cloudit and other digital methods. We will not send paper statements or letters about your Rewards, as all communication is online. If you want to talk to us about Barclays Blue Rewards you can contact us in any of the usual ways, including at a branch and by phone.
What types of Barclays Blue Rewards can I earn?You’ll be rewarded in 3 ways. As long as your account is eligible, you'll get £7 from us every month to say thank you for banking with us. Secondly, you’ll earn rewards when you take out selected Barclays products, and when you spend money with selected partners. Thirdly, you’ll save money by getting discounts on household bills and shopping. But that’s not all – we’ll bring you more ways to enjoy rewards in future.How do I get my Barclays Blue Rewards?Once you’ve joined, you’ll see a new Barclays Blue Rewards section on your Online Banking homepage and in your Mobile Banking app. From there you can open your Barclays Blue Rewards home page to see the rewards you can redeem. You’ll also see the total amount of rewards you’ve earned and savings you’ve made.You can redeem your rewards into any of your Barclays accounts, whenever you like, in Online Banking or using your Barclays Mobile Banking app.How do I join Barclays Blue Rewards?If you have a suitable current account with us, you can join Barclays Blue Rewards by logging in to your account through Online Banking or the Barclays Mobile Banking app. Then select Barclays Blue Rewards and follow the simple instructions.If you haven’t registered for Online Banking or the Barclays Mobile Banking app, you can find out how to get started with both on our Ways to Bank page.If you don’t have a bank account with us, you’ll need to switch or open a suitable current account, and then register for Online Banking or the Barclays Mobile Banking app. Once you’ve got your log-in details, you can join Barclays Blue Rewards when you log in.What happens if my chosen account doesn’t meet the monthly eligibility check?We’ll check your chosen account at the end of each calendar month, and let you know if you haven’t met the criteria – you’ll receive an email at the beginning of the month to confirm if you didn’t meet the criteria, and we’ll let you know what you need to do next.