Using your debit card abroad
Your debit card gives you secure and convenient access to your money while you're abroad (charges apply).
Making purchases abroad
Your Barclays Visa debit card is welcomed in millions of supermarkets, shops, restaurants, petrol stations, and hotels worldwide – anywhere that displays the Visa sign.
Using your debit card to make purchases while on holiday is as secure as using your card at home, as long as you take proper care to protect your card and PIN. It also means you don’t have to carry lots of cash.
Cash machines abroad
- You can withdraw up to £300 per day in local currency from cash machines displaying the Visa sign
- Cash machines abroad work the same as they do in the UK and will display instructions in English when you insert your card
- You can save £1.50 per transaction by using a Barclays ATM or an ATM at a Global Alliance member bank 1
What it costs to use your debit card abroad
If you use your debit card abroad or pay in a currency other than sterling (either abroad or in the UK):
- Barclays will charge you a 2.99% Non-Sterling Transaction Fee for using your debit card abroad when making purchases, withdrawing cash or when you are being refunded. This fee will also apply whenever you do not pay in sterling – for example, when you shop online on a non-UK website
- On top of this, if you’re getting cash over the counter at a bank abroad (including Barclays), or using an ATM other than a Barclays ATM or an ATM at a
Global Alliance member bank
, you’ll also be charged a £1.50 Non-Sterling Cash Fee and the ATM provider may apply other charges.