1. In order to provide you with relevant products and services, and for regulatory purposes, we may need to collect, use, share and store personal and financial information about you, your business and certain other people. This includes information we:
- Obtain from you or third parties, such as joint account holders, credit reference agencies (who may check the information against any particulars on the Electoral Register and any other database, public or private, that they have access to), fraud prevention agencies or other information when you apply for an account, product or service or that you give us at any other time
- Learn from the transactions you make, such as the date, amount, currency and the name and type of supplier you use, as well as the way you use and manage any account or joint account you hold with us
2. We and other members of the Barclays Group will use your information to inform you by letter, telephone, text (or similar) messages, email and other electronic methods about products and services (including those of others) that may be of interest to you. You may tell us at any time if you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us and/or other members of the Barclays Group by writing to us providing your full name, address and account details.
3. When you apply for a Business account or Business banking services with us, we may:
a) Check our own records and systems for information about:
- Any other accounts (including any Personal accounts) belonging to you or your business partners
- Where we think it is necessary, your shareholders (including beneficial owners)
b) Request searches from the credit reference agencies on:
- Publicly available information about your and your business partners’ personal credit behaviour
- Information about the way you and your business partners have handled any personal borrowings, if your business has 3 or fewer directors or partners
- Information about your business
- Information about your business accounts
- The identities of the beneficial owners of your business
- If you are a director, your residential address to confirm it is the same as that registered at Companies House
- Information about the personal accounts of any ’financial associate‘ of yours. A financial associate is someone living at the same address as you with whom you have a personal relationship and manage your finances jointly in a similar way to a spouse or life partner. This does not include temporary arrangements, such as students, flatmates or business relationships but will include joint account holders, anyone you have told us is a financial associate of yours and anyone identified by the credit reference agencies’ records as your financial associate. You can apply to the credit reference agencies to ask them to de-link someone who is listed as one of your financial associates
c) Request searches at fraud prevention agencies for information about you, your address(es), your financial associates, your business partners, your business and the beneficial owners of your business
4. Your business partners need to agree to some of these checks being carried out on them. If you are not authorised to give this agreement on their behalf, they will also need to agree. If you have a financial associate, you must tell them that we may check their personal accounts. We will send them a notification too.
5. We will send the information you give us as part of your application to the credit reference agencies. They will record the information we give them about you, your application, your business, its shareholders and your business partners. You must make sure your business partners and shareholders (if any) have agreed to you disclosing information about them to us and the credit reference agencies.
6. If false or inaccurate information is provided, or fraud is suspected or identified, we will record this. We may also pass information about you to the fraud prevention agencies and other organisations involved in crime and fraud prevention where it may be accessed by law-enforcement agencies. The information recorded by fraud prevention agencies may be accessed and used by organisations in the UK and in other countries.
7. Credit reference agencies will supply the information we have given them about you, your business and your business partners to other organisations. Fraud prevention agencies may do the same. For the ways in which these other organisations may use your information, see condition 9. Credit reference agencies may also use your information to undertake periodic statistical analysis, testing and development to ensure the integrity of their existing and future products and services.
8. During the application process or in the future, we may use the information we obtain from you, the credit reference agencies and the fraud prevention agencies for:
- Making credit assessments about an application
- Checking details on applications for credit and credit-related or other facilities, including whether to continue or extend existing credit facilities
- Giving you statements for your business account and providing services to you
- Statistical analysis and testing to assess the suitability of existing and future products and services and to develop and improve our services for you and other customers
- Carrying out regulatory checks or other work to meet our obligations to any regulatory authority
9. We may also use your information for the additional purposes listed below either during your application process or in the future. Other organisations may also use your information for these purposes if they have received it from the credit reference agencies or the fraud prevention agencies (see condition 7).
- Making decisions about credit and credit-related services for you, your business or your business partners
- Verifying your identity and the identities of any other directors, business partners or shareholders, including if any of you apply for other facilities or for all types of insurance proposals or claims
- For the prevention and detection of money laundering, fraud and other crimes – eg, by checking details on applications for credit and credit-related or other facilities and managing and checking the operation of credit and credit-related accounts
- We may use scoring methods to assess this application and to verify your identity
- Managing your and your business partners’ personal credit and credit-related accounts, including any other Personal or Business accounts you have with us
- Locating you and recovering any debts you owe
- Performing statistical analysis and systems tests
- Activities where we, or third parties on our behalf, provide you with gifts or gestures of goodwill
- Cross-checking details on proposals or claims for all types of insurance
- Checking details of job applicants and employees
We may use automated processes when we use your information for any of the purposes listed in this condition or in condition 8.
10. We may give information about you and how you manage your account(s) as follows:
- To credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies in the ways described in this condition 10
- To other companies within the Barclays Group
- To people who provide a service to us or who are acting as our agents, on the understanding that they will keep the information confidential
- To anyone to whom we transfer or may transfer our rights and duties under this agreement
- To any third party as a result of any restructure, sale or acquisition of any company within the Barclays Group, provided that any recipient uses your information for the same purposes as it was originally supplied to us and/or used by us
- If we have a duty to do so or if the law allows us to
- For international payments where we are required to send details of the payee and the beneficiary with the payment, to overseas regulators and authorities in connection with their legitimate duties, eg, the prevention of crime
Otherwise, we will keep information about you, your business, your business partners, your financial associates and your account(s) confidential.
11. If we transfer your information to a person, office, branch or organisation located in another country that is acting as our agent or sub-contractor, we will make sure that they agree to act strictly in accordance with our instructions and apply the same levels of protection as we are required to provide for your information and the use of your information.
12. We may use your data to offer your business other products or services, but only where you allow us to do so.
13. We will retain information about you after the closure of your account for as long as permitted for legal, regulatory, fraud prevention and legitimate business purposes.
14. If you borrow or may borrow from us, we will give details of your business account to the credit reference agencies. This includes the name of your business account, the people authorised to operate it and how you use and manage it. If you have borrowed from us and do not repay an amount that you owe us, we will use the information we hold about you to help us locate you and recover payment. We will also tell the credit reference agencies if you have borrowed and have not repaid in full and on time.
15. When we request a search from a credit reference agency, the agency will:
- Create a record of your business’ name, address and owners, if it does not have one already
- Note on its records about your business that we requested a credit search. This will happen whether or not your application with us ultimately proceeds. If your business has applied for credit, our search request (but not our name as the organisation that requested it) will be seen by other organisations when your business applies for credit in the future
- Note that enquiries have been made on the personal credit records of any individuals, directors, owners, shareholders, partners or financial associates that we have asked them to search for. These notes will not be seen by other organisations if any of these people apply for credit in the future
- Create links in its records between previous and subsequent names you have provided in relation to yourself or anyone else
Send back to us:
- Information about you, your business partners, your financial associates and your business, such as details of previous business and personal credit applications and how accounts have been run
- Publicly available information, such as details of county court judgments and bankruptcies and information from the electoral register
- Fraud prevention information
- If you or your business partners are directors, confirmation that the residential address(es) you have supplied match those on the Companies House restricted register of directors’ addresses. For directors whose addresses are protected under the Companies Act 2006, the address(es) you supply will be checked against the credit reference agency’s internal proprietary directory
16. When we send information to credit reference agencies about your business and its accounts, the credit reference agency will:
- Record the information we supply to them, including previous and subsequent names of people authorised to operate the account and details of how the account is run
- Record the amount of any outstanding debts if you have borrowed from us and not repaid in full and on time. They will retain this information for 6 years after they close their files on you whether you have settled your debt or defaulted
- Use and supply information about shareholders who beneficially own your business only with their specific consent or for the purpose of checking identities
17. Credit reference agencies will not use information about you to create a blacklist or make a decision. We will not give information about savings accounts to credit reference agencies.
18. The information we gather about you may also be used for other purposes where you have given specific permission or, in very limited circumstances, when required by law or permitted by the Data Protection Act 1998.
19. You can ask for a copy of the information we hold about you by writing to us. We will charge a fee for this service. For information about the data the credit reference agencies hold about you, you can contact the agencies. The information they each hold about you may not be the same, so you should consider contacting them all. They will charge you a fee for this service.
- CallCredit, Consumer Services Team, PO Box 491, Leeds, LS3 1WZ. 0870 0601414 (Personal credit data only)
- Equifax Ltd, Customer Service Centre, PO Box 10036, Leicester, LE3 4FS, 0800 014 2955 / 0333 321 4043, www.equifax.co.uk
- Experian, Customer Support Centre, PO Box 9000, Nottingham, NG80 7WF, 0800 013 8888 / 0344 481 8000, www.experian.co.uk
Please contact us if you want details of the fraud prevention agencies.