Switching to Barclays
We'll take care of your bank account switch
Our Current Account Switch Service lets you move your account from your bank or building society to us in a simple, reliable and hassle-free way.
Full or partial switch?
Before you apply, you need to choose between a full or partial switch. What's the difference?
If you’d like to make a full switch, you’ll need to be one of the following.
- A small micro enterprise (a business with an annual turnover of up to £6.5m and fewer than 50 employees
- A small charity, with an annual income of less than £6.5m
- A small trust, with a net asset value of less than £6.5m
If you don’t fit into any of these categories, you’ll need to apply for a partial switch.
Partial switches are not covered by our Current Account Switch Guarantee.
Fully switching your account is hassle-free and quick, and takes just 7 working days through a Barclays Business Manager. During your appointment, we’ll agree a switch date with you before you sign the agreement.
We’ll contact your old bank and request details of any regular payments.
Your old bank will send us details of all your regular payments.
- We’ll write to you confirming the switch has been accepted and which payments we’ll be setting up
- We’ll set up your payments on your new account, ready for your switch date
- We’ll prepare redirection of card payments, where applicable
- We’ll notify the originators of your Direct Debits of your new account details ready for your switch date
We’ll contact your old bank and request to transfer any credit balance.
- Any credit balance will be transferred to your new account
- All payments on your old account will be cancelled
- Your old account will be closed
- We’ll contact you to confirm that the switch has completed
Any payments made to your old account after your switch day will be redirected to your new account for 36 months.
Any regular payments due to be paid from your old account after your switch day will be taken from your new account.
If you choose to complete a partial switch, we’ll
- Arrange for the transfer of your Direct Debits, standing orders and bill payments from your old bank or building society
- Keep you informed throughout the transfer and consult you in writing if any problems occur
- Cancel or refund charges you may incur with us if there is a mistake or unnecessary delay when you transfer your regular payments
You’ll remain in control of the transfer of any balances between your old and new accounts and the closure of your old account. You’ll also need to arrange the transfer of any in-going payments (eg, your salary) to your new Barclays account.
It will take us a minimum of 7 working days to transfer all of your regular payments. If you only want to transfer some, this will take a minimum of 12 working days.
When you complete a partial switch instruction form, you’ll agree your transfer date and choose whether to move all of your payments across to your new account or just some of them.
- We’ll contact your old bank to request details of the payments you have set up on the account you are switching from. Your old bank will reply to us within 3 working days and we will send you a copy
- If you have asked us to transfer all of your payments, you don’t need to take any further action. We’ll continue and transfer everything on the date agreed. If you’ve chosen to move just some of your payments, you’ll need to review the information we send you and confirm which payments you want us to set up on your new account. To ensure we complete the transfer on the date agreed, you must confirm which payments you want us to set up by the end of the fourth working day before your switch date
4 days before switch date
If you’ve chosen to move only some of your payments, this is the last day we can accept details of the payments you wish to transfer
3 days before
We’ll set up your payments on your Barclays account in readiness for the transfer. We’ll then notify your old bank so that it can arrange cancellation of these payments ahead of your transfer.
Any regular payments due will be taken from the account you’re transferring from for the last time. We’ll notify you that your switch has completed.
The next day
We’ll handle any payments due for the regular payments you asked us to transfer from this day. If you didn’t ask us to transfer all of your regular payments, any that you didn’t ask to be transferred will continue to be handled by the bank you’re transferring from.
Partial switches are not covered by our Current Account Switch Guarantee
Current Account Switch Guarantee
We’ve designed the Current Account Switch Service to let you switch your current account from one bank or building society to another in a simple, reliable and hassle-free way. It only takes 7 working days.
As your new current-account provider, we offer the following guarantee.
- The service is free to use and you can choose and agree your switch date with us
- We’ll take care of moving all your payments going out (for example, your Direct Debits and standing orders) and those coming in (such as your salary)
- If you have money in your old account, we’ll transfer it to your new account on your switch date
- For 36 months, we’ll arrange for payments accidentally made to your old account to be automatically redirected to your new account. We’ll also contact the sender and give them your new account details
If there are any issues in making the switch, we’ll contact you before your switch date. If anything goes wrong with the switch, as soon as we are told, we’ll refund any interest (paid or lost) and charges incurred on either your old or new current accounts as a result of this failure.
For more information, go to the Simpler World website.
How to apply
We take the hassle out of switching. To open a new account with us and close your old one, we recommend a full switch. If you’re not ready to close your account with your current bank, you may prefer a partial switch.
Call one of our Business Managers on 0800 515 4621 now to book your appointment. We aim to have everything set up for you within just 7 working days.
What you’ll need to apply
- Your residential addresses for the past 3 years
- Your full business address
- Details of your other financial arrangements (eg, mortgages, store cards etc)
- Business details such as registration number, address and date of incorporation (if you have a limited company)