Identification for bank accounts

What ID do I need to open a bank account?

If you’re applying for a bank account you'll need to show us a valid and original document from each list below.

You'll need to show us one document from the proof of ID list and another to give proof of your current UK address. The same document can’t be used to verify both your identity and your address.

Proof of ID documents

Full and valid UK or foreign passport, that has the Machine Readable Zone*

Photocard national identity card1, that has the Machine Readable Zone*

Full UK paper driving licence

A full UK or foreign photocard driving licence

Benefit entitlement letter (less than 12 months old, confirming benefit payable at time of issue)

Blue disabled driver’s pass

Student ID card (youth/student accounts only – NUS and Student Union cards not accepted)

Proof of current UK address documents

Full UK paper driving licence (if not already used to verify your identity)

UK or foreign bank/credit card statement (less than 3 months old and not printed from the internet). Store card statements are not accepted.

UK mortgage statement (less than 12 months old and not printed from the internet)

Council Tax bill, payment book or exemption certificate (less than 12 months old)

Council/Housing Association tenancy agreement. Private tenancy agreements are not accepted

Council rent book/card (showing a payment within past 12 months)

Benefit letter/adjustment letter (less than 12 months old and addressed to you. The letter must confirm that the benefit was payable at the time of issue)

Letter/bill from utility company (less than 3 months old. The letter/bill must confirm that you receive a service from the company and cannot be printed off the internet). Mobile phone bills are not accepted.

TV Licence letter or Direct Debit schedule (less than 12 months old. The document needs to detail your name and address and confirm the existence of a TV Licence)

UCAS Letter (student/graduate accounts only – less than 12 months old, showing offer of a place on a course in the current or next academic year)

*A Machine Readable Zone or MRZ is present on the vast majority of passports and National ID Cards. It comprises of two or three lines of alpha, numeric and chevron (<) characters.
If you’re unable to provide these documents, please call us on 0345 734 5345 2 to discuss the other options available.