My debit or credit card doesn’t work. What should I do?
There are several reasons why your cards might be rejected at shops, cash machines or online.
In store/withdrawing cash
- Not enough money in your account – check your balance to make sure you have sufficient cleared funds in your account
- Retailer error – there may be a temporary systems problem or the retailer might have inputted your card details incorrectly, so it’s worth trying again
- PIN not working – see our help on PINS
- Card details entered incorrectly – try again, taking care to enter your details exactly as they appear on your card
- Systems error – this might have prevented the online transaction from being processed, so it’s worth trying again
- Additional security required – some debit or credit card payments require a second level of security validation, such as Verified by Visa. This system includes a link to follow if you’ve forgotten your password
If your card still doesn’t work, call Telephone Banking (if you’re registered) or visit a branch
For Personal customers – call 0345 734 5345*
For Premier customers – call 08009 24 7 365*
If you’re having problems with your Barclaycard, call 0844 811 91111* or 0800 587 2104 (Textphone).