Unsure what to search for? Other customers found these helpful.

Identification for student bank accounts

Applying for a Student Additions account, Higher Education Account or Graduate Additions? Here's what you will need to prove your identity and address.

You'll need to show us 2 valid and original documents from the list below – one from the proof of ID list and the other to give proof of your current UK address. The same document cannot be used to verify both your identity and your address.

If you’re applying for a graduate account, we also need to see proof that you’ve completed your studies, such as your degree certificate.


Proof of ID documents Proof of current UK address documents
Full passport Full UK paper driving licence (if not already used to verify your identity)
Photocard national identity card Letter/bill from utility company (less than 3 months old, except for water bills, which must relate to the current charging period. The letter/bill must confirm that you receive a service from the company and cannot be printed off the internet). Mobile phone bills are not accepted
Full UK paper driving licence TV Licence letter or Direct Debit schedule (less than 12 months old. The document needs to detail your name and address and confirm the existence of a TV Licence)
A full UK or foreign photocard driving licence Council Tax bill, payment book or exemption certificate (less than 12 months old)
UK Armed Forces ID card UK or foreign bank/credit card statement (less than 3 months old and not printed from the internet). Store card statements are not accepted
Student ID card – NUS & Student Union cards not accepted UCAS Letter (less than 12 months old, showing offer of a place on a course in the current or next academic year)


If you’re unable to provide these documents, please call us on 0345 734 5345 1 to discuss the other options available.

Important information

1. To maintain a quality service, we may monitor and record phone calls. Call charges