Coronavirus and premium home insurance, provided by Hiscox

If you’re concerned about how coronavirus affects your premium home insurance, we’re here to help. Use these FAQs to find the answers you need.

Will working from home affect my home insurance policy?

If you’re carrying out office work from home, such as using a phone and computer, you’re covered. If you’re carrying out other types of work at home, then please let us know so we can make sure you’ve the right cover in place.

Am I covered if something happens to my office equipment at home?

Yes. If you’ve purchased your own office equipment such as a computer, telephone or printer this will be covered. If you’ve bought specialist equipment for non-clerical work then this might not be covered.

Office equipment supplied by your employer should be covered by their business insurance - you can check this with your employer.

I’ve had to buy a number of items to get me through this period at home (such as a computer, printer, or children’s entertainment) but haven’t had a chance to add them to my policy. Am I covered?

If you’ve purchased office equipment then these items are automatically covered as are electronic games and portable devices.

I’ve temporarily had to bring some of my stock home because of coronavirus – will this be covered by my home insurance?

If you’re running a business you should check your business insurance to see if it covers stock that you temporarily keep at home. Insurance policies can differ significantly and might not cover this. Your premium home insurance doesn’t cover stock kept at home that is used for business purposes.

My home or second property will be left unoccupied due to illness or being stuck abroad. Will this affect my home insurance policy?

Your property will be covered if it’s unoccupied, but if it’s going to be unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days then please let us know.

My parents or grandparents have been admitted to hospital and I’m worried that they have left their belongings at their care home. Does my home insurance cover this?

Your policy covers household goods, clothing and personal property belonging to your parents or grandparents while in a nursing or care home.

My parents, grandparents, or other relatives will move in with me for this time. Do I need to notify you of this?

Your policy covers additional family members who move in with you during the coronavirus outbreak. If you have specific questions about their cover please give us a call.

How do I make a claim?

Our team is here to support you – please call us on 0800 170 09351

I’m worried I won’t be able to afford my premium. What can I do?

If you have concerns, or are facing temporary financial difficulty, Hiscox may be able to help. To discuss your options, give them a call on 0800 781 3065.