Things you need to know before you apply
Please read this general information about overdrafts.
An overdraft limit is a borrowing facility which allows you to borrow money through your current account.
There are two types of overdraft – arranged and unarranged.
An arranged overdraft is a pre-agreed limit, which lets you spend more money than you have in your current account. It can be a safety net to cover short-term outgoings, like an unexpected bill. It is not suitable for longer-term borrowing. We charge you for every day of the month that you use your arranged overdraft where you go beyond any fee-free limit you may have.
An unarranged overdraft is when you spend more money than you have in your current account and you have not agreed an arranged overdraft limit with us in advance or you have exceeded an existing arranged borrowing facility.
You can only make payments from your account if you have enough money in your account or through an arranged overdraft to cover them. Barclays will always attempt to return any transaction that could take your account into an unarranged overdraft position. Having enough money in your current account or having an arranged overdraft limit could help prevent payments such as priority bills from being returned unpaid.
On very rare occasions we may be unable to return a payment (e.g. due to an offline transaction made on a flight) and the account may enter an unarranged overdraft. No additional charges will be applied in this situation.
Information regarding the conduct of your account may be sent to credit reference agencies. As with any debt or borrowing, this may affect your ability to get credit in the future.
Our Eligibility tool can show you the likelihood of getting an arranged overdraft and the overdraft calculator lets you see how much it could cost to use an overdraft. To use these tools and find out more about overdraft charges, please visit barclays.co.uk/youroverdraft.
If we hold a valid mobile number for you, we’ll automatically enrol you to receive relevant alerts regarding borrowing and refused payments, to help you avoid charges. You can also choose to receive additional alerts, including Low Balance and Large Credit or Debit. Tailor your alerts to your personal needs online, by phone or in branch. To find out more, visit barclays.co.uk/alerts.
How to apply
It’s simple, safe and secure – and if you already have a Barclays account, you can apply for another one in Online Banking or our app.
Apply online for an account if you
- Are 18 or older and not in full-time education. If you’re under 18 or a student, explore our other accounts
- Are a UK resident with a regular income or salary that you pay into your account.
1. Available with selected current accounts. UK only. £4 monthly fee, £800 monthly account income, eligibility criteria and T&C’s apply. Please visit barclays.co.uk/blue-rewards-terms-conditions for full details.
2. You need to be 18 or over to access this product or service using the app. Terms and conditions apply.
3. If you are over 18 and live in the UK, you can apply for an arranged overdraft, subject to financial circumstances and borrowing history.