I want to make a claim under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, what are my rights?

If your trip or event has been cancelled, we’d recommend that you start by getting in touch with whoever organised it, or whoever you booked it with. They may offer you different dates or a full refund. This is likely to be the quickest way to get the resolution you want.

If you’ve spoken to them and they’re not able to offer you a suitable alternative or a refund, we can help you by logging a dispute. If you can provide evidence of your contact with them and their response, that could help support your claim.

If you purchased a trip or event using your Barclaycard, you could be covered by purchase protection (Purchases between £100 and £30,000 made in the UK and abroad, are covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act in certain circumstances. Section 75 applies to all UK credit cards. Conditions apply).