How long do Pingit payments take?
We can estimate how long a payment will take, but we can’t guarantee it. How long the payment will take depends on whether the person you’re paying is registered with Pingit or Paym.
If you’re paying someone who is registered with Pingit, they’ll usually get your payment straight away. But there are some exceptions, for instance:
- Payments to Barclays current account holders can be delayed if the person you’re paying is using the Pingit website instead of the Pingit app; or
- Their Pingit registration status is ‘deferred’ or ‘deferred locked’ (which means they still need to complete the registration process)
If you’re paying someone who is registered with Paym and not Pingit, and they’re a UK current account holder who can be paid using Faster Payments, payments usually take no longer than 30 minutes. However, it could take longer – sometimes up to 24 hours.
If you’re using a mobile number to pay someone who isn’t registered with either Pingit or Paym:
- Once the payment has been started, the recipient needs to register for Pingit within 7 days
- Once the recipient has registered, they’ll get their payment according to the timescales for registered Pingit users (see above)
- If the recipient doesn’t register in time, the payment won’t be made
- If the payment is started, but the recipient then chooses to register for Paym and not Pingit, the payment won’t be made and the instruction will be cancelled
- If the recipient chooses to cancel the payment from within the Pingit app, the payment will be cancelled and the recipient will be notified by text message
- Payments can only be made if there is enough money in your account when the recipient registers for Pingit
If you’re a Barclays customer paying into the bank account of someone who isn’t registered with either Pingit or Paym:
- If the recipient is a Barclays UK current account holder, the payment will be made immediately
- If the recipient is a UK current account holder, the payment will usually be made within 30 minutes, using Faster Payments (though this could sometimes take up to 24 hours)
Payments can only be made if there is enough money in your account.
We sometimes need to carry out extra checks on payments to help protect against fraud – this can delay payments.