Relating to the Barclays Identity Service
Details relating to the privacy of your data when you use the Barclays Identity Service.
We're committed to protecting and respecting your personal data. This policy relates to the privacy of your data when you use Barclays Identity Services at barclays.co.uk/identity ('our site').
This policy (together with our Terms and Conditions of Use) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. By 'your information' we mean any personal data about you that you or third parties provide to us.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it.
Please confirm you accept the policy and the terms and conditions of use by clicking the 'acceptance button' on the site in order to access and use the Barclays Identity Service.
Information about us
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 the data controller is Barclays Bank UK PLC.
Barclays Bank UK PLC is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register number: 759676). Registered in England. Registered number 9740322. Registered office: 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP.
About the information we may collect
Information for the Identity Service
If you register to receive our identity services we’ll ask you to complete an online form and give us your full name, address (with 1 years’ history), email, mobile phone number and (if you choose to do so) your gender. It’s important that the information you provide to us is accurate.
If you’re an existing Barclays customer and would like to verify your identity using your Online Banking details, simply log in using PINsentry or using your passcode and memorable word. Alternatively, follow the process below. Occasionally, we may need some additional proof such as your passport, driving licence and/or bank account details.
You don’t need to have a bank account with us to use the Barclays Identity Service. To confirm your identity you may need to provide us with your passport, driving licence and bank account details.
Information we collect about you
Each time you visit our site we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the internet protocol (IP) address the request came from or the one your Internet service provider assigned to you, browser type and version, device type, operating system and version and your user locale (your default preferences for dates, times, numbers etc);
- a unique visitor cookie (we apply one to each user), your user ID, the time you accessed our site, the URL where you were referred from and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
Information from other sources
We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We also work closely with third parties to provide aspects of the Identity Service (including sub-contractors, analytics providers, search information providers and credit reference agencies) and we may receive information about you from them.
What we do with your information
We use your information to carry out the Identity Services that you request from us. In particular:
- a Credit Reference Agency will validate your information against the data they hold and this will be used to generate verification questions, the answers to which when provided by you will be confirmed by the Credit Reference Agency
- the Credit Reference Agency will record searches made with them on your credit report. This process may record more than one search. The searches will not be visible to lenders and will not affect your credit rating
- we carry out fraud monitoring and use an external fraud prevention agency to check and record the information provided by you. The external fraud prevention agency may also be notified of any potential fraud warnings that we receive. The external fraud prevention agency may also use searches to help prevent and detect fraud.
We also use your information to
- provide the Identity Service for you and to notify you about changes to it. We may send notifications about changes to you by post, text, phone or text message. For example, we may send text and email messages to notify you that your profile has been set up successfully, if it changes and to verify you are in control of the email address and mobile phone you provided us with details of. We won't use your information to send marketing messages without your consent (please see the Marketing section below);
- make sure that content from our site is presented in the most effective way for you and for your computer.
Information we collect about you
We will use this information
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure.
Information we receive from other sources
We may combine this information we received from other sources with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
- We may share your personal information with other Barclays companies and other organisations such as business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors where needed for the performance of Identity Services including
- HM Passport Office (in relation to Passport details), DVLA (in relation to Driving Licence details) and a Credit Reference Agency (Equifax) (for Bank Account details) to perform the identity verification
- Verizon, our technical services partner, so they can perform certain parts of the Identity Service on our behalf
- Equifax or other credit reference agencies as part of the verification process
- Our external fraud prevention agency, in order to prevent or detect fraud. Other organisations are also members of this fraud prevention agency – and if you make applications to other members for similar services, they may also carry out searches. If fraud is suspected, relevant parts of your information will be shared with them. This information may be used by these members when making decisions about you
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or sell assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or the buyer of such assets
- if Barclays Bank UK PLC or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets
Where we store your data and for how long
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (EEA). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff (who are bound to keep the data secure and confidential) maybe engaged in, among other things, the provision of the Identity Service and the provision of support services. By accepting this policy, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. If we transfer data to an overseas organisation, we will ensure they apply equivalent levels of protection as we are required to apply under UK and EU law.
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. You will be required to choose a user name and password when you register and you are responsible for keeping this information safe. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
We are required to keep your data while you are registered with us and for a further period of 7 years after your account is closed or expires, subject to our obligations to comply with the record retention requirements under the Data Protection legislation.
From time to time we may contact you to let you know of new services that you can access using the Barclays Identity Service. If you are an existing Barclays customer signing up to the Identity Service, this will not alter your existing marketing preference choices with Barclays Bank UK PLC. For non-Barclays customers signing up to the Identity Service we do not currently send you any marketing messages. If this changes in the future we will ask for your consent before we use your data for marketing purposes. If you consent to receive marketing you will be able to choose the ways by which you can be contacted and can exercise the right to opt out at any time.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you. Start this process.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about privacy at Barclays, please contact the Barclays Privacy and Data Protection Team at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP. You can also contact us in relation to the Barclays Identity Service generally by calling us on 0333 202 7479 (English Language Contact Centre) or 0333 202 7450 (Welsh Language Contact Centre). Please note that to maintain a quality service, we may monitor or record phone calls. Call charges.