Terms and conditions
Barclays Identity Service
Please read these terms and conditions carefully before you start to use our site and the Barclays Identity Service.
These terms and conditions of use (together with the specific documents they refer to) explain the terms on which you may use our website barclays.co.uk/identity and the Barclays Identity Service. In order to use the Barclays Identity Service, you have to agree to these terms and conditions of use. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions of use you should NOT use the Barclays Identity Service or browse this site.
If you need to contact us in relation to the Barclays Identity Service, we can be reached on 0333 202 7479. Please note that to maintain a quality service, we may monitor or record phone calls. For information on the costs of calls please follow this link: Call charges.
Information about us
Barclays Bank UK PLC is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register number: 759676). Registered in England. Registered number 9740322. Registered office: 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP.
The Barclays Identity Service
What is the Barclays Identity Service and why is it useful?
- The Barclays Identity Service is provided by us as part of the GOV.UK Verify government initiative
- GOV.UK Verify will give people a secure and convenient way to sign in to a wide range of government services at GOV.UK
- We have been selected by the government to become a certified company, confirming the identities of individuals so that they can make use of an increasing range of digital government services safely and securely through GOV.UK Verify
- Full details on the initiative can be found at: gov.uk/verify
Who can register for the Barclays Identity Service and what does it cost?
- Anyone over 18 years old can register
- You do not need to bank with us or be our banking customer to use the Barclays Identity Service
- The Barclays Identity Service is free of charge. You are only responsible for paying your own costs for connecting to the site such as internet or data charges
How will my identity be verified?
- This involves you completing an online form and providing certain information so we can carry out the identity verification
- We may ask you to provide information from official documents and answer questions about you
- We may ask for information from your passport, driving licence and/or UK bank account or UK mobile phone contract
- We will check this information with the data from HM Passport Office, the DVLA, credit-reference agencies (this will not affect your credit rating) and mobile network operators.
- Our site will guide you through the registration process and if your identity is successfully verified you will be able to create a user name and password to access the wide variety of services which use GOV.UK Verify. If you're an existing Barclays customer and wish to verify your identity using your Online Banking details, simply log in using PINsentry, Mobile PINsentry or your passcode and memorable word when prompted. You don’t need to do this if you don't wish to
Conditions for using the site and the Barclays Identity Service
You agree to meet the following conditions when using our site:
- You must only use our site for finding out about the Barclays Identity Service and to register to have your identity assured
- You must not use our site or the Barclays Identity Service for anything illegal
- You may use our site to access services on GOV.UK which support your business (for example, if you are a sole trader) but you cannot re-sell, re-use or make any income from the Barclays Identity Service itself
- You must not upload or store any inappropriate or illegal content or images or anything that breaches the rights of others
- You must not use our site or the Barclays Identity Service in any way that may damage or stop it from working or which may affect our systems or other users – for example, by hacking into the site or inserting malicious code
- You must not collect or try to access information on our systems which is not intended for you
We (or the Government Digital Service) can report to any appropriate agency or other relevant body any suspicious activities from your interaction with us as part of the Barclays Identity Service.
We may terminate or suspend your access to or use of our site where we believe that you have not acted in accordance with these terms and conditions.
Keep your account and password safe
You are responsible for the safekeeping of the username and password that you create when your identity is successfully verified. You are responsible for choosing a unique and secure password. You must treat the username and password as confidential and must not disclose them to any third party because you will be responsible for any unauthorised use. You must memorise your password, and do all that you reasonably can do to keep it secret. You should not use a shared email or mobile number with the service as others may use these to access your details.
If you know or suspect that your account has been compromised, you should tell us as soon as possible using the telephone number in the Introduction section above.
How do we use your personal information and the cookies we use on our site
We want to make our site accessible to as many people as possible. For information on our accessibility standards please use this link: barclays.co.uk/Accessibility/Accessibility/P1242623451150
The provision of the Barclays Identity Service and the availability of our site
We will provide the Barclays Identity Service in accordance with good industry practice, with reasonable skill and care and within a reasonable time.
We do not promise that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis. We reserve the right to suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site at any time.
Changes to these terms and conditions
We may change these terms and conditions from time to time. Your access to or use of our site and the Barclays Identity Service will be subject to any such changes so you should review these terms and conditions regularly.
We may change the Barclays Identity Services (a) to reflect changes in relevant laws and regulations; or (b) to implement technical adjustments and improvements, for example to address a security threat.
We cannot guarantee the site will be free from bugs or viruses. You should use your own virus-protection software.
Third-party websites and linking
You are not allowed to link any other website to our site without obtaining our prior written consent.
Intellectual property rights
We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. These works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved. You may view, download and print pages from the site to find out about the Barclays Identity Service and to register to have your identity assured, however you may not otherwise download, use, transmit or modify the site (in whole or in part) without our express prior permission. Nothing in these terms and conditions grants you a right or licence to use any trademark, design right or copyright owned or controlled by us or any other third party except where expressly provided in these terms and conditions.
Our liability for loss and damage you may suffer caused by us
We will be liable to you, with no limit on our liability, for death or personal injury caused by our negligence and for any other liability which cannot legally be limited or excluded.
We will also be liable to you, with no limit on our liability, if you suffer a loss or damage as a result of:
(a) we or our sub-contractors breaching a Law that applies to us;
(b) loss, unauthorised access to, or corruption of your Personal Data held by us or by our Sub-contractors (including any credentials issued to you); and/or
(c) wilful default or fraud by us or our Sub-contractors.
You acknowledge that this is a free service and, as a result, our total liability to you for any claims under or in connection with this Agreement (other than in the specific situations set out above in this section), shall be limited in total to £50 (fifty) pounds.
We shall not be liable for any loss or damage caused by your breach of your obligations under this Agreement (for example if you do not follow instructions we give you to keep your details safe).
We are only liable for loss and damage that either obviously could happen or we and you both knew might happen (for example, if you lose money from your bank account because your details have been compromised through our fault).
We are not liable for losses relating to a business or other income-generating venture. We will have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption or loss of business opportunity.
We are not responsible for delays outside our control. However, if our performance of the Barclays Identity Service or our site is affected by an event outside our control then we will take steps to minimise the effect of the delay and to keep users aware of the situation.
Nothing in these terms and conditions is intended to limit your legal rights as a consumer. If you need further information about your legal rights, you can contact your local Trading Standards Department or Citizens Advice Bureau.
Ending the Agreement
We may decide to terminate the Barclays Identity Service and the provision of services to users, but if this happens, there are other government-approved identity-verification providers that you can use and you can find their details at GOV.UK.
We may also terminate our agreement with you and/or suspend the provision of the Barclays Identity Services or your use of your assured identity immediately at any time if we reasonably think you have done any of the following things, which you must not do:
- You break the terms of this agreement and/or commit or attempt to commit any fraud against us or someone else
- You put us in a position where we might break a law, regulation, code or other duty that applies to us
- You give us any false information at any time
- You use (or allow someone else to use) the service illegally or for criminal activity
- You inappropriately let someone else use the service
- You behave in a threatening or abusive manner to our staff or our partners
You are not obliged to continue with your registration application if you decide not to proceed at any point or to use your assured identity once obtained.
What happens if we have a dispute on these terms and conditions?
Any disputes arising out of these terms and conditions of use will be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales (or the laws of Scotland or Northern Ireland if you live there). If you choose to bring proceedings in connection with these terms and conditions of use you must do so in the courts of England and Wales unless you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland, in which case you can choose to bring proceedings there. This site is designed for use in the UK and is not directed to, nor intended for distribution or use by, any person in any other jurisdiction.
What do I do if I have a complaint?
We want to hear from you if you feel unhappy with the service you've received from us. Letting us know your concerns gives us the opportunity to put matters right for you and improve our service to all our customers. You can complain in person at your branch, in writing, by email or by telephone. A leaflet detailing how we deal with complaints is available on request in any of our branches, from the Barclays Information Line on 0800 400 100 or at barclays.co.uk. Alternatively you can write to Barclays, Leicester LE87 2BB.