Starter contents cover

Starter contents cover

Flexible insurance when you own a bit less

Why pay for cover you don’t need? Our starter contents insurance lets you protect what’s important right now. And you can change your cover if you need to.

  • Suitable if you’ve just moved into your first home or you don’t have much stuff
  • Protect your things against theft or damage in the home
  • Choose the level of cover you need between £2,000 and £15,000
  • What you get as standard

    Cover for your possessions while they're in your home

    Cover if your possessions are lost, stolen or damaged

    Choose the level of cover you need, from £2,000 to £15,000 – no need to pay for anything you don’t want

    Valuable items cover

    Protection for your most valuable items, like jewellery, watches and art, up to the contents sum insured


    Specify single items over £1,000

    Cover against damage while you're moving home

    Protect your things against mishaps while they’re being transported to your student home, whether by a removal company or if you move them yourself

    Replacement locks and keys

    We’ll cover the cost of replacement locks if your keys are lost or stolen, keeping your home secure

    Optional extras

    Contents accidental damage

    Cover for those little accidents that would otherwise cost a fortune to fix, such as spilling red wine on your carpet, knocking the TV off its stand or dropping your laptop or tablet

    Protected contents no-claim discount

    Allows 2 claims in 5 years without losing your no-claim discount and your premium won’t be affected as a direct result of those claims

  • Limits apply to certain things within your starter contents cover, such as single item cover. These will be set out in the policy schedule. Some things aren’t covered, including:

    • Motorised vehicles, aircraft, caravans, boats or any other kind of water vehicle
    • Accidental damage – wider cover is available as an add-on (contents accidental damage) or through gadget, personal items, bike and sports equipment covers
    • Theft by paying guests of tenants
    • Certain theft or damage that happens when your home is unoccupied for more than the number of days permitted by the policy

    The policy document provides full details of what is and isn’t covered. The list we've shown above is only intended as a guide.

Contents cover

Contents insurance

Replacing your possessions could be surprisingly expensive. That’s why our contents insurance offers an unlimited amount to cover items for theft and damage while they’re in your home.

  • We’ll replace matching items if one of a set is damaged and cover your valuables like jewellery and watches
  • Buy cover enhancements for extra protection if you need it

Home insurance loyalty reward

You can earn up to £36 a year with home insurance when you join Barclays Blue Rewards within the first 30 days of your policy start date. 1Eligibility criteria and monthly fee apply.

What you’ll need to get a quote

  • Details about the type of property you’re living in.
  • Your claims history on home insurance for the last 5 years.

Manage your policy online

Log in to view and download your policy documents, update your details or insure more items.

Need to make a claim?

Log in to make a new claim or update an existing claim.

Any questions?

Contact us

0800 015 0246 2

Monday to Friday, 8am to 10pm
Saturday, 8am to 6pm
Sunday and bank holidays, 10am to 4pm