Online tax returns
Don’t miss the online self-assessment deadline
Find out about a fast way to get a new GOV.UK log in if you’ve forgotten yours – so you’re ready for the 31 January deadline.
A lost login could lead to a fine
If you’ve lost your Government Gateway user ID and password, it can take up to 10 days to recover them by post. If that wait means you miss the deadline to file your online tax return, you could face a £100 fine – but there is an easier way.
Register for GOV.UK Verify online, and it only takes around 15 minutes to get new log-in details for Self Assessment. If you use Barclays Online Banking, it’s even quicker.
Fast, safe and secure
GOV.UK Verify is a new way to prove who you are for online government services. Create a Barclays identity profile for GOV.UK Verify and you’ll have trusted, safe and secure access to a wide range of GOV.UK services online – including Self Assessment.
With GOV.UK Verify, you can
- Get log-in details for online Self Assessment in 15 minutes or less
- Prove who you are online and help protect yourself from identity theft
- Access other online government services securely with the same log in, including Universal Credit, pensions and viewing driving licence information
How Barclays helps
Barclays is certified by GOV.UK Verify to create identity profiles. When you create a Barclays identity profile, we thoroughly check your personal details on the government’s behalf and then quickly check them each time you use your profile to access an online government service.
You don’t need to bank with us to create a Barclays identity profile, but if you do, rest assured – we never share your financial information with the government.
When you create a Barclays identity profile
- You don’t have to bank with us – anyone can do it
- You can use one profile for all government services that use GOV.UK Verify
- You’re protected against fraud and identity theft for online government services that use GOV.UK Verify
We promise never to
- Share your financial information with government services
- Use your personal details for anything else
- Send you junk mail or make marketing calls
- Go to www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return
- Scroll down the page to the ‘Sign in to file your tax return’ section and select the ‘Sign in’ link
- Select ‘use GOV.UK Verify'
- When the ‘Sign in using GOV.UK Verify’ page opens, select ‘This is my first time using Verify’
- Follow the on-screen instructions and, when prompted, choose Barclays from the list of certified companies