Struggling to budget
Are you having trouble managing your money? We can help.
Dev was having trouble controlling his budget and was often relying on an overdraft to cover expenses. Read his story.
Dev requested an overdraft to fill the gap between payday and the end of the month. He could always repay it – so he wasn’t too worried.
However, when he found himself overspending, he began using his overdraft more and incurring fees. Soon, he was living off his overdraft.
It all got too much for Dev when he was charged a fee for a bill he couldn’t afford. He started to use a credit card to cover bills and had already borrowed money from his mum, knowing he couldn’t afford to pay it back for a while. His finances were spiralling out of control and he knew he needed some support.
How we helped
- Dev called us and spoke to Tim – he was friendly and non-judgemental
- Together, they worked through Dev’s income and outgoings and came up with a budget
- Tim told Dev about some tools that could help him to budget, such as Barclays Finance Manager and Barclays Financial Wings. He also set up Text Alerts to help him manage his money better and avoid missing payments
Does your situation sound like Dev’s?
Are you a student and struggling to manage your finances while studying? Or are you on a flexible-hours contract and having trouble looking after your budget? Are you a sole trader or run a small business and having trouble with cash flow? We can help.
As soon as you feel like you might be having problems with your budget, give us a call. Calling us won’t make anything worse.
To prepare for the call, it’ll be best if you have your sort code, account number and some information about your monthly income and outgoings ready. You might be talking for a while, as the adviser will want to understand your situation in detail, so make sure you set aside some time.
If you haven’t missed a payment but are worried about your finances, you may want to call the numbers below.
- Mortgages – 0800 022 4022. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm
- Barclaycard – 0800 046 8324. Lines are open every day from 9am to 9pm
- Overdraft and Barclayloan – 0345 600 4545. Lines are open Monday to Sunday, 8am to 9pm
- Premier – 08009 247 365. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
If you’ve missed a payment, we’ll contact you soon to discuss your options. But if you’d like to speak to us in the meantime, please call 0345 734 5345. Lines are open Monday to Sunday, 7am to 11pm.
Self-employed or have a business? Get assistance here.
There are other services that offer free support
- National Debtline, StepChange and Citizens Advice – for free debt advice
- Turn to us – for advice on benefits and grants
For more guidance, find your nearest branch.
You may also be interested in …
Coping with gambling addiction
Is your gambling out of control?
Forever chasing winners to cover his losses, Nigel’s gambling debts were spiralling out of control. See how we helped.
Living with a reduced income
Has your income recently gone down?
When John lost his job, he faced a reality he wasn’t expecting – he needed to support his family and had unpaid bills. Learn how we helped.
Coping financially with loss
Keeping on top of your finances during difficult times.
After Clare lost her husband, her life changed dramatically. She didn’t know how to look after her finances and was struggling to cope. See how we helped.
Living with iIlness
When illness takes over, your finances can suffer.
Being diagnosed with a long-term illness affected many areas of Anna’s life, especially her finances, and she started to miss payments.