Managing your money
Getting your budget back on track
Dev was having trouble controlling his finances and was often relying on an overdraft to cover expenses; here’s how banks can help.
This story shows typical customer situations and how banks can help. You’re not alone – we’re here to help you.
Dev requested an overdraft to fill the gap between payday and the end of the month. He could always repay it, so he wasn’t too worried.
However, when he found himself overspending, he began using his overdraft more and incurring fees. Soon, he was living off his overdraft.
It all got too much for Dev when he was charged a fee for a bill he couldn’t afford. He started to use a credit card to cover bills and had already borrowed money from his mum, knowing he couldn’t afford to pay it back for a while. His finances were spiralling out of control and he knew he needed some support.
Dev’s next steps
- Dev called and spoke to his bank, explaining his financial situation in detail. Dev’s situation is more common than he may think and in most cases banks are more than prepared for it
- Together, they worked through Dev’s income and outgoings and came up with a budget. Alongside his online banking tool, Dev was able to get a better idea of his finances; where a lot of his money goes to and how he could save money
Does Dev's situation sound familiar?
Does your income make it hard to look after your budget? Help’s always at hand.
As soon as you feel like you might go through some financial difficulties, give your bank a call – it could help make things better.
To prepare for the call, have some information about your financial situation ready, including your incomes and outgoings. You might be talking for a while, as your bank will want to understand your situation in detail, so make sure you set aside some time.
If you’re a Barclays customer, here are some numbers you can reach us from.
- Mortgages – 0333 202 7492. Lines are open Monday to Thursday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm
- Barclaycard – 0800 046 8324. Lines are open every day from 9am to 9pm
- Overdraft and Barclayloan – 0345 600 4545. Lines are open Monday to Sunday, 8am to 9pm
- Premier – 08009 247 365. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Self-employed or have a business? Get some support.
How close are you to a debt problem?
If you’re concerned about your finances, try StepChange Debt Charity’s 60-second debt test – a few simple questions will tell you if you need advice and where to get it.
These services can provide further help and support
Spending within your means
Getting the balance
Spending isn’t an issue, but it’s important to make sure you’re not spending too much. Let’s explore some ways of finding a balance.
A budgeting guide for everyone
Six easy tips for everyday money management
Finances are different for everyone, but there are some tips that work for us all – let’s explore some of them.
Plan out your repayments
It’s important to be sure repayments will fit in with your other monthly commitments.
We’ve prepared this budget planner to help you see what you can afford.
How to improve your financial health
Develop your money-management skills with our easy-to-follow guides on budgeting, saving, planning for the future and handling debt.