Third-party account access

Enabling someone else to help you manage your account

Have someone help you – or help someone else

Types of third party account access

Whether you’d like someone you trust to help you manage your account or you’ve been appointed to act on someone else’s behalf, we’ve outlined the details and we’re here to help.

Make a request through us

If you want someone to help you manage your account for a short time, you can set this up with us – there’s no need to register with an authority. You’ll be able choose what they’re allowed to do on your behalf and you can cancel their access at any time.

Your nominee can

  • Access your transactions and request a balance or statement
  • Ask us to send a statement to either party
  • Order a chequebook or credit book
  • Have and use a debit card for your account
  • Access Telephone or Online Banking 

Your nominee can't

  • Change the account type or your name, address and contact details
  • Open or close accounts
  • Make changes to or apply for products or services
  • Access any documents you've stored in Barclaysafe
  • Personalise your debit card

Power of attorney

A power of attorney (PoA) is an easy option if you plan to be abroad for some time or need long-term help managing your affairs. This legal document gives someone the authority to make decisions about property and finances on someone else’s behalf. In some cases, what the attorney can and can’t do will depend on the account holder’s ability to make decisions about their finances.

The attorney can

  • Manage a current account in Telephone and Online Banking
  • Use a debit card
  • Sign cheques (the signature should be followed by ‘PoA’)
  • Have statements sent to their address
  • Open new accounts on behalf of the account holder
  • Close accounts on behalf of the account holder
  • Update address details
  • Add, remove and cancel standing orders and Direct Debits

If you choose to have more than one attorney, it’s important to consider whether you’d like them to act ‘jointly’ or ‘jointly and severally’– this will affect how they manage your account. If they only have authority to act jointly, all attorneys will need to be present to carry out a transaction and they won’t be able to manage your account in Telephone Banking or Online Banking, or hold a debit card. 

There are different types of PoAs – visit the Office of the Public Guardian for more information and how to apply. You can also read our Attorney Tootkit [PDF] which we created to answer questions about managing someone else’s account.


An appointeeship, granted by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), allows an appointee to claim benefits on behalf of someone who has lost the mental capacity to manage their own affairs. Only one person can act as an appointee at any one time. The maximum balance on appointee-run accounts is £5,000 as an appointee can only manage state benefits. If you’re dealing with a balance of over £5,000, you’ll need to apply to the Court of Protection to become a deputy.

Once appointed by the DWP and registered with us, you can use a debit card to withdraw cash and make payments.

Find out more on the DWP page on becoming an appointee.

Court of Protection Order

The Court of Protection has the power to appoint a deputy to act on someone else’s behalf if they have lost the mental capacity to make decisions for themselves. This could be an option for you if you’re an appointee on a claimant's account with a balance over the maximum of £5,000.

Visit the Court of Protection for more information and how to apply.

How to get set up

Before we can allow someone to access another person’s account, we need them to visit a branch and get set up. Here are the steps you’ll need to take.

1. Prepare your documents

If you’ve been legally authorised to access someone’s account, we’ll need to see an original,  solicitor-certified or donor-certified copy of your document – whether that’s a power of attorney, appointeeship or Court of Protection Order.

2. Gather proof of ID and residence

The ‘nominee’ or ‘appointee’ will need to bring any one of the acceptable forms of ID plus any proof of residence listed on our identifications page. If they already bank with us, all they need to bring to prove who they are is their Barclays debit card, Barclaycard credit card or UK passport.

3. Make an appointment

Give us a call to make an appointment at your local branch. Use our Branch finder to see the contact details of the branch nearest you.

Get in touch

Give us a call

Call us on 0345 7345 345 1 .

Find your local branch

Come in to speak to us – search for your nearest branch and see opening hours and contact details using our Branch finder.