Our Online and Mobile Banking Guarantee
We’re working hard to protect your money
Feel safe when banking online. Find out how our guarantee works to protect you and your money from fraud – plus what you can do, too.
We’re continually investing in new technologies to help keep you and your money safe. We also want to give you the right tools and information to help you spot fraud.
In the unlikely event that you do become a victim of fraud when using our online- or mobile-banking services, we’ll refund you in full on any transactions that you haven’t authorised – including any interest or charges that may have been incurred.
Making and authorising payments
While we’ll do our best to protect you against fraud, it’s your responsibility to be alert when it comes to scams and tricks. Each situation will be assessed on its individual merits, but it’s unlikely we’ll refund you because someone has tricked you into making or authorising a payment.
For example, we’re unlikely to refund you if:
- You ask us to make a payment because of a false instruction (however you receive it) from a third party
- You instruct us (perhaps even after we’ve contacted you to query it by SMS or phone) to make a payment that you’ve been persuaded to make because of a scam
Therefore, we need you to be sure who you’re paying, as well as what you’re paying them for.
- Double-check the details. Always make sure you check the payment details are correct
- Look for the lock. Use familiar websites to shop online, and never purchase an item on a site unless it has the ‘https’ and a padlock icon in the address bar
- Check your statements. This will help you to make sure the correct amount has been deducted, and that it’s going to the correct place
- Looks too good to be true? It probably is. If you’re purchasing a bargain, be sure you’re confident you’ll actually receive it
Managing your accounts
Please remember: your account details and passwords are personal to you. Look after them and keep them secret. It’s unlikely we’ll refund you if you:
- Fail to keep your card, PIN, password, PINsentry codes or Mobile PINsentry codes secure
- Give someone else access to your Online Banking account or Barclays Mobile Banking app
- Don’t tell us as soon as possible that your card has gone missing. Here's what to do if your card’s lost or stolen
- Don’t tell us that you’ve lost your mobile – especially if you think someone else might be able to find or use it. Here's how you can let us know
Remember, we’ll never ask you for your PIN, password, PINsentry codes or Mobile PINsentry codes.
This guarantee does not apply to Corporate or Investment Bank clients who have different security obligations.
You may also be interested in
Free Kaspersky security software
Protect your PC, Mac Android and iOS devices with Kapsersky Internet Security 2017.
Types of scams
Learn how to avoid them
Familiarise yourself with some of the most common types of fraud – and know what to do if you think someone’s trying to trick you.
Protecting your cards
Here are some tips to help keep your payment cards safe and secure.