Smart Investor is designed to help you achieve your investment goals, whether you’re an experienced investor, or are just getting started.
Capital is at risk with any investment and you could get back less than you invest. We don’t offer personal investment advice, so if you’re unsure where to invest, you should seek professional financial advice.
Here’s our rundown of the top 10 Smart Investor benefits:
1. We'll help you learn how to:
- Get your finances in shape and plan your investment goals
- Make the most of tax allowances
- Reduce and manage investment risk. However, you could still make a loss.
Learn about our principles of investing
2. Stay up to date and analyse different investments in our Research Centre
- Free daily company and market insight alerts to keep up-to-date with the latest price changes
- Overviews of how different markets are performing
- Fund news and comment, plus charts to help you compare investments in lots of different ways.
Visit our Research Centre
3. Hassle free Ready-made Investments
- A simple way to build and maintain a diversified portfolio to match your risk profile and financial goals
- Our ready-made investment funds spread your money across a range of asset types, such as shares and bonds
- Leave the day-to-day management to our experts and we’ll give you regular updates on how the funds are performing.
Please consider whether Ready-made Investments are suitable for you and if you’re not sure, seek independent advice.
Explore Ready-made Investments
4. Select from the Barclays Funds List
- This is made up of around 30 funds from across key investment sectors, which have been hand-picked by Barclays Investment Specialists
- They’re not a recommendation but they have been selected on the basis they’ve built solid reputations and are monitored by our experts.
There are of course, a much wider range of funds you may wish to choose from and you should decide which investments are the most suitable for you.
View our Funds List
5. A wide choice of investments
- Access over 2,000 funds - use our filtering tool to help narrow your search
- A large range of Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) and investment trusts
- Thousands of company shares, bonds and gilts (government bonds).
Explore the different ways to search for funds that will fit your investment goals
6. Barclays Price Improver™
- With Barclays’ Price Improver™ we give you the best price available from our selected Retail Service Providers (RSPs) and trading venues every time you buy or sell shares, Exchange Traded Funds, investment trusts or Real Estate Investment Trusts listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- 91.4% of qualifying deals1 placed between August 2018 and August 2019 got a better price than that quoted on the London Stock Exchange (LSE).
Find out more about Barclays’ Price Improver
7. Invest in causes you care about
- Put a cause you care about at the heart of your investments with impact investing
- It seeks to generate financial returns while having a benefit to society
- Choose from a range of funds and Exchange Traded Funds.
Find out more about impact investing
8. The latest insight, trends and research
- A range of articles and videos from Barclays’ experts to keep you informed
- Our experts don’t provide advice but they explain the effect that economic changes have on financial markets and help you make smarter investment decisions.
Visit Investment News and Articles
9. Compare investments in lots of different ways
- Review several investments side by side using our Compare tool – even when they’re different asset types
- Analyse their recent performance, chart them against one another and compare them against a benchmark such as the FTSE100.
You can access the Compare tool once you’re logged in.
10. Transfer to us online, in four easy steps
- Once you’ve opened a Barclays Investment ISA or Investment Account, move your investments across in just four online steps
- Simply select the provider you’re moving from and the investments you want to transfer
- Confirm you’re happy with your choices and ready to proceed then your investments can be transferred.
Transferring a cash ISA to us can take 1-2 weeks, while an investment ISA or investment account transfer can take 2-4 weeks.
Before transferring your investments, remember that you’ll need to find out about any charges, disadvantages, exit penalties, benefits you may lose or investments that you can’t transfer to us.
Read more about transferring your investments and the risks involved
And if you ever decide you want to move your investments away from Smart Investor there will be no exit fee to pay and that process is also automated and managed online.