Text Alerts make it easier to stay in control of your bank accounts and help prevent fraud. You select the alerts you need and we’ll send texts to your mobile phone, so you’ll always know what’s happening with your money.
You can choose any or all of the following free Text Alerts for your Barclays Personal or Premier current account:.
Alerts to keep you informed
- Large credit – informs you when your account receives a large payment, helping you to stay on top of your income
- Large debit – alerts you when a large payment is made from your account, helping you to stay on top of your spending
- Online statement – lets you know when your online statements are ready to view
- Non-UK debit – informs you when an overseas payment is made, helping protect you against fraudulent transactions
- Weekly balance – provides regular updates of how much money is in your account
Alerts to keep you out of the red
- Low balance – lets you know if your account balance is getting near the limit you set
- Unpaid Transactions – tells you when there's not enough money in your account to pay an item (eg, a cheque, standing order or Direct Debit) and advises you how to avoid the fee
- Ways to avoid borrowing fees – offers you help in taking control of your finances if you’re regularly facing borrowing fees
- Overdraft(s) and Emergency Borrowing – informs you of your overdraft and Emergency Borrowing use to help avoid higher fees
Savings account Text Alerts
If you’re a Barclays Personal customer with a savings account, you can also register for the following Text Alerts:
- Monthly balance – provides regular updates of your account’s available funds
- Below current balance – lets you know if your savings account current balance is lower than the value you specified
- Above current balance – lets you know if your savings account current balance is higher than the value you specified
- Interest rate alert – informs you when the interest rate on your savings account changes
Texts are based on transactions and balances at the close of business on a working day and will arrive in the morning of the next working day.
Certain Text Alerts are also available for Barclays Business accounts.
The Barclays Text Alert service has security built in.
We've developed a number of security precautions to protect your accounts. We'll confirm your identity before you set up your alerts, and always use a secure service to send Text Alerts. We will never send any personal information via text.
Text Alerts will not include your account details. We will ask you to set a short code name to identify each account when you set up your alerts.
However, we do recommend you use a PIN code on your phone to keep your information secure after it reaches you.
You can change, temporarily suspend or cancel your alerts at any time.
In Online Banking, go to 'Manage Text Alerts' under 'Account services' in the top blue navigation bar.
You will be able to:
- Review selection – you can add or remove Text Alerts at any time
- Review the thresholds and limits you have selected
- Suspend alerts – this may be useful if you are travelling abroad, for example, if your network provider does not offer free texts overseas
- Cancel the service
Alternatively, you can manage your Text Alerts in branch or over the phone.
How Text Alerts will look
Text Alerts appear as regular text messages on your phone, but they will look different depending on the type of device you use.
If you’ve opted in for multiple Text Alerts, you may receive more than one a day.
If your alerts span more than 1 message, each will end on a full transaction and be numbered, showing how many Text Alerts you will receive, and which that one is.
The last message will show at least one full transaction or balance and 'END'.
You will receive no more than 5 Text Alerts in a single day. If activities in your account would fill more than 5 texts, additional transactions will not be shown, and the final alert will contain the message: ’If this is unusual activity, please contact Barclays via your usual channel immediately. END'.
How to register
To register, you need a Barclays current account and a mobile phone with a UK network operator. We can’t send texts to landlines or Skype numbers.
If you’re registered for Online Banking, you can set up Text Alerts online. Log in, select ‘Manage Text Alerts’ and follow the instructions. Once registered, your service will be active within 48 hours.
You can also set up Text Alerts in Online Banking or in branch.
You can register for Online Banking if you haven’t done so already.