Barclays Bank Account
What you get with a Barclays Bank Account
- Online account opening – get your sort code and account number straight away
- Contactless debit card – tap your card to pay for things that are £20 or less
- Online Banking , Mobile Banking and Telephone Banking – bank whenever you want, wherever you want
- Overdraft – you can apply for an overdraft of up to £5,000 (subject to status)
- Representative example:
- Up to £5,000 (subject to application and status). If you use an overdraft of £1,200, you will be charged £1.50 per day when you use it
From 16 June, we’ll no longer be charging interest on our overdrafts. Instead, there'll be a simple daily fee. Read more about our overdraft changes
- The Features Store – register for Online Banking and pick the features you want to create the account you need
Add features to your Barclays Bank Account 3
Register for Barclays Online Banking and you can tailor your account with tools and services from our Features Store, such as:
- Personalised debit card – use your favourite photo to personalise your card
- Barclays Pingit 4 – send and receive money using just a mobile number
- Tech Pack £7.50 a month – Mobile Phone Insurance and cover for up to £750 on your gadgets
- Travel Pack £8.50 a month – European family insurance and RAC Breakdown Cover (in the UK)
- Home Pack £6 a month – Extended Warranties on home appliances for 12 months and your own concierge
- Add 2 or 3 Packs to the same account for a multi-pack discount
If you are not happy with your account, you have a 14–day period in which to contact us to cancel your account or switch to another account. This period begins on the date your account is opened or the date you receive your terms and conditions and other account information, whichever is the later. If you contact us within this period to cancel or switch your account, we will refund any account fees you may have paid. However, if you cancel or switch your account at a later date, you will not be refunded the account fees that you have paid. If you wish to cancel or switch your account, you should tell us by writing to Barclays, Leicester LE87 2BB.
We want to hear from you if you feel unhappy with the service you've received from us. Letting us know your concerns gives us the opportunity to put matters right for you and improve our service to all our customers. You can complain in person at your branch, in writing, by email or by telephone. A leaflet detailing how we deal with complaints is available on request in any of our branches, from the Barclays Information Line on 0800 400 100 4 or at www.barclays.co.uk. Alternatively you can write to Barclays, Leicester LE87 2BB.
If we do not resolve your complaint internally to your satisfaction, you may be able to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service at South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR (telephone: 08000 234 567). The Financial Ombudsman Service is an organisation set up by law to give consumers a free and independent service for resolving disputes with financial firms. Details of those who are eligible complainants can be obtained from the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Important information about the Financial Services Compensation Scheme
We are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). The FSCS can pay compensation to depositors if a bank is unable to meet its financial obligations. Most depositors – including most individuals and small businesses – are covered by the scheme.
In respect of deposits, an eligible depositor is entitled to claim up to £85,000. For joint accounts each account holder is treated as having a claim in respect of their share so, for a joint account held by two eligible depositors, the maximum amount that could be claimed would be £85,000 each (making a total of £170,000). The £85,000 limit relates to the combined amount in all the eligible depositor’s accounts with the bank, including their share of any joint account, and not to each separate account.
For further information about the compensation provided by the FSCS (including the amounts covered and eligibility to claim) please ask at your local branch, refer to the FSCS website www.fscs.org.uk. or call the FSCS on 020 7741 4100 or 0800 678 1100. Please note only compensation related queries should be directed to the FSCS.
Barclays Bank PLC may also accept deposits under the following trading names; Barclays, Barclays Bank, Barclaycard, Barclays Business, Barclays Capital, Barclays Corporate, Barclays Direct, Barclays UK & Ireland Private Bank, Barclays International Private Banking, Barclays Premier Barclays Private Bank, Barclays Wealth, Woolwich Mortgages. Deposits accepted from an eligible depositor under these trading names are combined for the purposes of deposit compensation from the FSCS. The FSCS is not applicable to deposits held at branches in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
Terms and conditions
Select the links below for more information about our basic bank account.