Barclays Bank Account
What you get
Our Online Banking lets you do much more than manage your money – add features like travel insurance, mobile phone cover and more 5.
Add a personal touch to your debit card with a favourite photo.
Get free award-winning apps to access your account, view all your secure documents, even pay friends and family using just your mobile number.
Apply for an overdraft of up to £5,000 (subject to status) with Emergency Borrowing, that's there if you need it 4. And free Text Alerts to help you stay on top of your spending.
Join with your new account to earn rewards and save money, as long as you’re eligible 7.
It's safe and simple – we guarantee to move all your payments within 7 working days.
Home Protection Pack
£12 a month
- AA Boiler & Central Heating Cover
- Home Essentials & Appliance Cover
- Optional Boiler Service (an additional fee applies)
£7.50 per month
- Mobile Phone Insurance up to 2 phones
- Worldwide Gadget Cover up to £750
£8.50 per month
- European Family Travel Insurance
- RAC UK breakdown cover
- Card Secure
What is the current account switch service?
It's a free service that lets you switch your main current account (the account you use for your day-to-day banking, and your salary etc is paid into) from one participating bank or building society to another. It's been designed to be simple, reliable and hassle-free and, if you choose the full switch option it's backed by the Current Account Switch Guarantee .
What happens to payments that people send to my old account?
As part of the full switch, we'll set up a 36-month redirect from your old account to your new one.
Is there a helpline I can call?
For all switch queries – either to us or from us to another bank – please call 0333 202 7458. Lines are open 9am-6pm Monday to Friday and 9am-5pm on Saturdays. Call charges
What is a funding limit?
A funding limit is the maximum amount you'd like us to transfer to your old bank to clear an overdraft or overdrawn balance. You'll need to deposit this amount into your Barclays account, or have an overdraft in place with us, for the day of the switch. We'll then transfer an amount up to the funding limit you choose here to your old account. You'll be able to change this amount up until 5pm on day 6 of the switch process in-branch. We'll need to agree to the amount you choose and it'll need to be enough to clear any overdrawn balance or overdraft for us to be able to close your old account.
What's the difference between a full and partial switch?
- We'll move all your regular credit and debit payments, such as Direct Debits, standing orders, bills and your salary, to your new Barclays account
- We'll close your old account for you
- We'll also set up a 36-month redirect for any credits or debits from your old account to your Barclays one, so you won't have to worry about us missing anything
- Full switch is covered by the Current Account Switch Guarantee
- After you apply, you'll have 5 working days to visit a Barclays branch and confirm your identity so the switch can start. The process completes 7 working days after this
- We contact your old bank for a list of your debit payments for the account you're switching from
- You select those you want us to move to your Barclays account
- We leave your old account open
- We won't be able to switch any individual future-dated payments
- You'll need to arrange the transfer of any credit payments (eg, your salary) to your new Barclays account
- It takes longer than 7 working days and isn't covered by the Current Account Switching Guarantee
How can I check that the switch has been completed?
We'll contact you to let you know when the switch has been completed. This is when any money coming from your old account will be available. However, your Barclays account will be ready to use as soon as you open it.
Could my switch application be rejected? What happens then?
Your switch could be rejected if the personal details you gave us when you opened your Barclays account don't match those held by your old bank for your other account. If you think they might be out of date, please update your details with your old bank. Also, if you apply for a full switch, you have 5 working days to visit a Barclays branch and confirm your identity. If you don't do this, the switch process can't go ahead. If your switch is rejected, you can re-apply but should make sure you've taken the necessary steps to ensure it doesn't fail again.
Switch to us
Switching your account is simple, secure and straightforward.
- Select your preferred switch date
- We'll contact your old bank and take it from there
- Your switch is complete within 7 days – and we'll text you when it's done
Don’t forget to visit Features Store when you log in to Online Banking.
- Account services to help you manage your money
- Tools and apps aimed to help you get organised, save money and make banking easier
- Shape your account with the features you want
If you have any questions about our products or services, please get in touch.
To open an account, call 0345 600 4545, Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm, and Saturday, 9am-5pm 6.
If you already have an account, call 0345 734 5345, Monday to Sunday, 7am-11pm 6.
If you are not happy with your account, you have a 14–day period in which to contact us to cancel your account or switch to another account. This period begins on the date your account is opened or the date you receive your terms and conditions and other account information, whichever is the later. If you contact us within this period to cancel or switch your account, we will refund any account fees you may have paid. However, if you cancel or switch your account at a later date, you will not be refunded the account fees that you have paid. If you wish to cancel or switch your account, you should tell us by writing to Barclays, Leicester LE87 2BB.
We want to hear from you if you feel unhappy with the service you've received from us. Letting us know your concerns gives us the opportunity to put matters right for you and improve our service to all our customers. You can complain in person at your branch, in writing, by email or by telephone. A leaflet detailing how we deal with complaints is available on request in any of our branches, from the Barclays Information Line on 0800 400 100 4 or at www.barclays.co.uk. Alternatively you can write to Barclays, Leicester LE87 2BB.
If we do not resolve your complaint internally to your satisfaction, you may be able to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service at South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR (telephone: 08000 234 567). The Financial Ombudsman Service is an organisation set up by law to give consumers a free and independent service for resolving disputes with financial firms. Details of those who are eligible complainants can be obtained from the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Important information about the Financial Services Compensation Scheme
We are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). The FSCS can pay compensation to depositors if a bank is unable to meet its financial obligations. Most depositors – including most individuals and small businesses – are covered by the scheme.
In respect of deposits, an eligible depositor is entitled to claim up to £85,000. For joint accounts each account holder is treated as having a claim in respect of their share so, for a joint account held by two eligible depositors, the maximum amount that could be claimed would be £85,000 each (making a total of £170,000). The £85,000 limit relates to the combined amount in all the eligible depositor’s accounts with the bank, including their share of any joint account, and not to each separate account.
For further information about the compensation provided by the FSCS (including the amounts covered and eligibility to claim) please ask at your local branch, refer to the FSCS website www.fscs.org.uk. or call the FSCS on 020 7741 4100 or 0800 678 1100. Please note only compensation related queries should be directed to the FSCS.
Barclays Bank PLC may also accept deposits under the following trading names; Barclays, Barclays Bank, Barclaycard, Barclays Business, Barclays Capital, Barclays Corporate, Barclays Direct, Barclays UK & Ireland Private Bank, Barclays International Private Banking, Barclays Premier Barclays Private Bank, Barclays Wealth, Woolwich Mortgages. Deposits accepted from an eligible depositor under these trading names are combined for the purposes of deposit compensation from the FSCS. The FSCS is not applicable to deposits held at branches in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
6. To maintain a quality service, we may monitor and record calls. Calls to 03 numbers use free plan minutes if available. Otherwise they cost the same as 01/02 prefix calls.
7. Barclays Blue Rewards is subject to Terms and conditions 190 KB , which contain full product details and eligibility criteria.