Young Person's Account
- Barclays debit card lets you shop on the high street and online and withdraw up to £300 a day from ATMs, as long as you've got money in your account
- Online Banking
- Access your account through Mobile Banking
- Get Text Alerts about your account to your mobile
- Make payments by Direct Debit, standing order, electronic transfer or by cheque
- No monthly account fee
- Free day-to-day banking
- No fees for most Barclays debit card transactions
Rates & charges for the Young Person's Account are detailed below. These charges and interest rates are variable and the bank reserves the right to amend them from time to time.
Day-to-day banking services charges
|Payments into your account||Free|
|Payments of standing orders and Direct Debits||Free|
|Telephone & Online Banking Read our call charges and information||Free|
|Issue of debit cards||Free|
|Issue of cheque books and payment of cheques||Free|
Additional service charges
|Barclays Direct Presentation Service 2||£20|
|Same day transfer of money in the UK using CHAPS||£25|
|Copy statement (per request per account)||£5|
These charges are applied at the time the service is provided.
Debit card rates and charges
Debit card rates and charges has further information on charges when using your debit card in the UK and abroad.
Important information about the Financial Services Compensation Scheme
We are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). The FSCS can pay compensation to depositors if a bank is unable to meet its financial obligations. Most depositors – including most individuals and small businesses – are covered by the scheme.
In respect of deposits, an eligible depositor is entitled to claim up to £85,000. For joint accounts each account holder is treated as having a claim in respect of their share so, for a joint account held by two eligible depositors, the maximum amount that could be claimed would be £85,000 each (making a total of £170,000). The £85,000 limit relates to the combined amount in all the eligible depositor’s accounts with the bank, including their share of any joint account, and not to each separate account.
For further information about the compensation provided by the FSCS (including the amounts covered and eligibility to claim) please ask at your local branch, refer to the website Financial Services Compensation Scheme or call the FSCS on 020 7741 4100 or 0800 678 1100. Please note only compensation-related queries should be directed to the FSCS.
Barclays Bank PLC may also accept deposits under the following trading names; Barclays, Barclays Bank, Barclaycard, Barclays Business, Barclays Capital, Barclays Corporate, Barclays Direct, Barclays UK & Ireland Private Bank, Barclays International Private Banking, Barclays Premier Barclays Private Bank, Barclays Wealth, Woolwich Mortgages. Deposits accepted from an eligible depositor under these trading names are combined for the purposes of deposit compensation from the FSCS. The FSCS is not applicable to deposits held at branches in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
To open an account we need confirmation of who you are and where you live – this is required by government regulations. We need 2 original documents (not photocopies) from the lists below. If you're under 16, these documents can be in your parent's name.
To confirm who you are, we need 1 of the following:
- Full passport
- European Union National Identity Card
- UK photocard driving licence or UK full paper driving licence
- UK Armed Forces ID card
- An introduction from a parent or guardian who's an existing Barclays customer (where none of the above are held and the child is aged up to and including the age of 17)
To confirm where you live, we need 1 of the following:
- UK photocard driving licence or UK full paper driving licence (if not used as identification)
- Gas bill (less than 3 months old) with evidence that the bill has been paid
- Water bill (less than 3 months old) with evidence that the bill has been paid
- Telephone bill for a fixed line (less than 3 months old) with evidence that the bill has been paid. We can't accept mobile phone bills.
- Local authority (council) tax bill (less than 3 months old) with evidence that the bill has been paid
- Bank statement (less than 3 months old) from another bank
This could suit you if:
- You're aged 16-19
- You'd like a debit card
See our alternative accounts if:
- You're not aged 16-19
- You're 19 and working full-time
- You want an account designed for uni students
LifeSkills, created with Barclays
Helping young people like you gain the skills you need to get the job you want.
- Get work experience at a local business
- CV tips and interview advice
- Quizzes and games to develop your skills
- Case studies from a range of professionals and celebrities
Looking for alternative accounts?
Student Additions Account – The account designed especially for students