Unsure what to search for? Other customers found these helpful.

Student contents insurance

Keep your things safe away from home.

Already got a quote? Retrieve quote

Already have Barclays home insurance?

Log in to manage your policy, make a new claim or update an existing claim.

We’re here for you when you make a claim – this video shows you how


Faster application time if you bank with us online

Save time applying for home insurance for your main residence by logging in to Online Banking – we can partially complete forms with details we already have.


Compare with existing home insurance from us

If you have an existing home insurance policy with us, see how it compares with our latest product.


What’s covered

If you’re going away to study, your things might not be covered by contents insurance at home. Student contents cover lets you specify the level of cover you need to insure your things against loss, theft or damage while they’re in your student home.


What you get as standard
Cover for your possessions while they’re in your student home Cover if your possessions are lost, stolen or damaged
Choose the level of cover you need, from £2,000 to £15,000 – no need to pay for anything you don’t want
Valuable items cover Protection for your most valuable items such as jewellery, watches and art, up to the sum insured
Unspecified single items up to £1,000
Cover against damage while you’re moving home Protect your things against mishaps while they’re being transported to your student home, whether by a removal company or if you move them yourself
Replacement locks and keys We’ll cover the cost of replacement locks if your keys are lost or stolen
Optional extras
Contents accidental damage Cover for those little accidents that would otherwise cost a fortune to fix, such as spilling red wine on your carpet or dropping your laptop or tablet
Protected contents no-claim discount Allows 2 claims in 5 years without losing your no-claim discount and your premium won’t be affected as a direct result of those claims


What's not covered

Limits apply to certain things within your student contents cover, such as a maximum limit we’ll pay out for items in your freezer, or single item cover. These will be set out in the policy schedule. Some things aren’t covered, such as:

  • Motorised vehicles
  • Accidental damage – wider cover is available as an add-on (contents accidental damage) or through gadget, personal items, bike and sports equipment covers
  • Accidental damage caused by paying guests or if you lend, let or sub-let your home 
  • Certain loss or damage that happens when your student home is unoccupied for more than the number of days permitted by the policy

The policy document 1.29 MB provides full details of what is and isn’t covered. The list we’ve shown above is only intended as a guide.


This could suit you if:

  • You’re temporarily living away from home and want to insure the things you’ve got with you
  • You’re living in student accommodation
  • Your parents’ or your own home insurance doesn’t cover your things while they’re temporarily moved out of the main residence


Try our other options if:

  • You have a lot of possessions
  • You want cover for your things when they’re not in your home
  • You want to insure just your gadgets, bike or sports equipment


What you’ll need to get a quote:

  • Details about the type of property you live in
  • Your past 5 years’ claims history on home insurance

Contact us

0800 015 0246

Monday to Friday 8am-10pm

Saturday 8am-6pm

Sunday/bank holidays 10am-4pm

The insurer of Barclays home insurance is Gresham Insurance Company Limited, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Registered Office: 8 Surrey Street, Norwich, Norfolk, NR1 3NG Registered in England, Registered No. 110410.