Blue Rewards Terms and Conditions
Additional Terms and Conditions for Barclays Blue Rewards
These are additional conditions. That means that they add to the main agreement between you and Barclays Bank UK PLC set out in the Customer Agreement.
If there’s anywhere they don’t agree with the Customer Agreement, these additional conditions are the ones we’ll follow.
Joining and eligibility
To be eligible for Barclays Blue Rewards you will need to:
- Nominate an eligible current account with us. The accounts you can’t join with are: Barclays Basic, Young Person’s, BarclayPlus, Foreign Currency Accounts, non-personal Wealth and Barclays Business Accounts. If you have a joint account, only one holder can use that account to join. Other account holders can use a separate, suitable account to join if they have one
- Have access to Online Banking or the Barclays app. This is how you view and access your Blue Rewards Wallet, update your details, cancel Barclays Blue Rewards or redeem your wallet balance and get a payout of your rewards
- Be resident in the UK.
In addition to the above, you will need to:
- Pay in at least £800 to your nominated current account each month. Please see below for more information on what will count towards your £800 payment
- Pay the £5 monthly fee. We’ll take this from your nominated current account on the second working day of the month. On your statement, this will show as the ‘Blue Rewards fee’. The first monthly fee will be taken in the month after you join Barclays Blue Rewards on the second working day of the month
- Provide us with a valid email address.
When working out how much you have paid into your nominated bank account, we won’t count:
- One-off internal transfers between Barclays accounts in your name, including any joint accounts or savings accounts. Regular payments set up as standing orders or Direct Debits from your personal Barclays accounts, a Barclays Business Account or your non-Barclays accounts will count towards your qualifying amount
- Any interest that we pay you
- Any refunds you receive from us.
Barclays Blue Rewards and Barclays Avios Rewards
You can’t have both Barclays Blue Rewards and Barclays Avios Rewards.
If you apply for Barclays Blue Rewards whilst signed up to Barclays Avios Rewards, you’ll need to choose to stop collecting Avios with Barclays Avios Rewards and close it first before you’re able to open Barclays Blue Rewards. Any remaining Avios will still be available to you through your British Airways Executive Club account, but you’ll stop collecting Avios through Barclays Avios Rewards.
For joint account holders where one account holder has nominated the account for Barclays Blue Rewards, the other account holder can still stay with Barclays Avios Rewards using that same account.
If you apply for Barclays Avios Rewards whilst signed up to Barclays Blue Rewards, we’ll ask you to close your Barclays Blue Rewards before you open Barclays Avios Rewards. We’ll transfer any remaining rewards in your Blue Rewards Wallet to the account you nominated for Barclays Blue Rewards before it is closed.
If there’s not enough money in your nominated current account to pay the fee
If there’s not enough money in your nominated current account to pay the Barclays Blue Rewards fee, we’ll still charge you – even if it makes your account go overdrawn or into an interest-bearing overdraft.
When you can close Barclays Blue Rewards
You can cancel your Barclays Blue Rewards at any time either through Online Banking or with the Barclays app. If you do this before 5pm on the last day of the month, we won’t charge the next monthly fee. If you cancel within the first 14 days of receiving these Additional Conditions and you have already paid a monthly fee, we’ll refund the fee, unless you have already received any rewards into your Blue Rewards Wallet.
When we can close Barclays Blue Rewards
We may cancel your Barclays Blue Rewards if:
- You haven’t met the eligibility criteria
- You aren’t benefiting from Barclays Blue Rewards, for example you are earning less cash than the monthly fee that you pay, and you don't have a Barclays Blue Rewards members-only savings account or aren’t registered for Barclays Cashback Rewards.
- When considering whether you are benefitting, we will not take account of any balance you may have in your Barclays Blue Rewards members-only savings accounts; cashback you have earned through Barclays Cashback Rewards, or any interest charges incurred if you pay the fee using an interest-bearing overdraft.
If we do this, we’ll contact you to give you two months’ notice before cancelling (please see the ‘Keeping you informed’ section below for detail on how we will contact you) but we will not cancel if you start meeting the conditions and earning more than the fee again before then. We’ll continue to collect the £5 monthly fee until your Blue Rewards Wallet is closed.
We may cancel Barclays Blue Rewards immediately if you close your nominated current account.
If we or you close your Barclays Blue Rewards
If we or you cancel your Barclays Blue Rewards:
- We’ll close your Blue Rewards Wallet and you’ll stop earning rewards
- We’ll transfer your available rewards balance back to you. We may transfer this to your nominated current account, a different instant access current or savings account, or we will send a cheque
- You will no longer be eligible for any pending rewards that have not yet been shown in your Blue Rewards Wallet
- We will no longer charge you the Barclays Blue Rewards monthly fee in future months, however you will continue to pay the monthly fee until your Blue Rewards Wallet is closed
- If the current account you've chosen to link to Blue Rewards is jointly held and you choose to leave the account, you will need to make sure that you link your sole account to Blue Rewards. Otherwise you'll no longer be fully registered for Blue Rewards, you will not receive Blue related communications and may not continue to earn rewards.
- If you are registered for Barclays Cashback Rewards, Barclays will notify Reward that you are no longer a member of Barclays Blue Rewards and Reward will begin the process of removing you from the Barclays Cashback Rewards programme. You will need to redeem any Available Cashback from your Barclays Cashback Rewards Account by the date you are given.
- We will close any Barclays Blue Rewards members-only savings account you may have.
Changes we can make to these terms and conditions
- We might revise Blue rewards in the future to make sure that they remain competitive and reflect changes to our costs. To do this, we may need to make changes and when we do, we’ll do so in accordance with the Customer Agreement. However, this does not include Barclays Cashback Rewards which has separate terms and conditions.
Your Blue Rewards Wallet
You are not allowed to put money into your Blue Rewards Wallet directly, and you won’t get a cheque book or any card with your Blue Rewards Wallet. If any payments are made into your Blue Rewards Wallet that are not associated with a product reward payment, we may transfer this to your nominated current account, a different instant access current or savings account, or we will send a cheque.
When and how you’ll receive your rewards
We’ll add the rewards you have earned into your Blue Rewards Wallet on the second working day of each month. Payments will start on the second working day of the calendar month that follows:
- Joining Barclays Blue Rewards if you have an existing mortgage or existing loan
- Completion of your new mortgage
- Opening of your new loan
- The starting date of your insurance policy.
As long as you have Barclays Blue Rewards and are eligible for that specific reward:
- Your Mortgage reward will be paid every month that you hold the product
- Your Barclayloan reward will be paid every month that you hold the product, unless we stop paying your Barclayloan reward because you don’t make payments when they’re due or you breach the terms of your Barclayloan Agreement, or your loan is terminated
- Your Life Insurance reward will be paid every month for as long as you hold the policy, up to a maximum of 12 months
- If you, or your estate, makes a successful life insurance or critical illness claim (except child critical illness), your policy will cease and any current Life Insurance Reward will also cease
When you top up your loan, switch rates, borrow more, move house or remortgage from another lender, please check to see what rewards you’ll be eligible for.
Keeping you informed, including of third-party prizes and partner offers
From time to time we may share with you offers and prize draws from third parties. Offers and prize draws will be subject to eligibility and separate terms and conditions.
We’ll also keep you informed about the rewards you’re getting and how they may change over time. We won’t send paper communications or letters about your Barclays Blue Rewards, as all communication about Barclays Blue Rewards is online. We’ll send information about your Barclays Blue Rewards to you by text, email, online in Statements and Documents centre and other digital methods using the contact details you’ve given us. If you want to talk to us about Barclays Blue Rewards you can contact us in any of the usual ways.
Tax treatment of Barclays Blue Rewards
Barclays cannot provide tax advice regarding the personal income of customers and any taxes are your responsibility to pay.
For Barclays Blue Rewards, the £7 Loyalty Reward received up to and including November 2016 for being part of Barclays Blue Rewards is subject to UK income tax and may need to be declared to HM Revenue & Customs.
With the exception of interest earned on a Blue Rewards Saver and Rainy Day Saver accounts, all other current rewards earned through Blue Rewards, and any Loyalty Reward received from December 2016, are not subject to UK income tax.
Interest earned on a Blue Rewards Saver and Rainy Day Savers accounts will count towards your Personal Savings Allowance.
Barclays Cashback Rewards
Being a member of Barclays Blue Rewards gives you the option to register for Barclays Cashback Rewards which is separate to Barclays Blue Rewards. Please see the Barclays Cashback Rewards terms and conditions and FAQs for further information. This includes when and how Visa or Reward can change or close Barclays Cashback Rewards.
You can collect rewards when you take out any of the products below, subject to reward eligibility criteria.
Receive a £5 reward each month for having two or more Direct Debit payments. You’re eligible for this reward if the Direct Debits are successfully paid from your nominated current account.
You can get our £3 monthly Mortgage Reward if you have or take out a residential personal mortgage with us. You’re only eligible for this reward on one mortgage at any time. The following mortgages are excluded from Barclays Blue Rewards: buy-to-let mortgages, mortgages denominated in a foreign currency, staff mortgages taken out before 2003, Shared Appreciations Mortgages and Protected Appreciation Mortgages.
Collecting Barclays Blue Rewards doesn’t change anything about the way your Barclays mortgage works.
Get £1 each month on a Barclayloan Reward if you have or take out a Barclayloan with us. The following loans don’t qualify: Resolve, any loan products provided by Wealth Management (such as Portfolio Finance), Staff Season Ticket, Staff Career Development and all Staff Loans taken out before September 2013.
You’re only eligible for the Barclayloan Reward for one Barclayloan at any one time.
We might stop paying your Barclayloan Reward if you don’t make payments when they’re due or you breach the terms of your Barclayloan Agreement, or your loan is terminated.
Collecting Barclays Blue Rewards doesn’t change anything about the way your Barclayloan works.
Life Insurance Reward
You can get our Life Insurance Reward when you take out life insurance or life insurance with critical illness. You can earn £1.50 a month when you take out just life insurance and £5 a month if you opt for life insurance with critical illness cover.
If you have a Life Insurance product introduced by Barclays Wealth Management you won’t be eligible for this reward.
You need to join Barclays Blue Rewards first, or do so within 30 days of your policy start date, to be eligible for this reward. If you’ve had your life insurance policy for longer than 30 days, you won’t be eligible for the reward.
Your rights under your insurance policy won’t be affected by being a Barclays Blue Rewards customer.
You’re eligible for the Life Insurance Reward on one policy only and for a maximum of 12 months. You can only have one life insurance reward term. After 12 months, you will no longer be eligible for a Life Insurance Reward, even if you buy an additional life insurance policy at a later stage.
The reward will only apply to life insurance policies bought from 15th November 2018. If you leave Barclays Blue Rewards and re-join later, you will not qualify for the Life Insurance Reward, if you already have or had life insurance.
If you join Barclays Blue Rewards from Barclays Avios Rewards, you won’t be able to collect rewards on any life insurance policies you already have with us. If you join Barclays Avios Rewards from Barclays Blue Rewards you will earn Avios for the remainder of the 12 month period from the start date of your policy.
Joint accounts and policies
Where Direct Debits are paid from a joint nominated account:
- Any Direct Debits paid from a joint nominated account will be eligible for the Loyalty Reward. The customer who has nominated that account for Barclays Blue Rewards will get all of the reward.
Where a mortgage, loan or insurance policy is in joint names:
- For a mortgage or loan, if you’re both members or both become members of Barclays Blue Rewards, the reward will be split equally between you. For insurance policies, if you’re both members of Barclays Blue Rewards at the point of application, the reward will be split equally between you. If there are more than two of you, it will be split between the two people who have held their current account with us for the longest period of time
- If one of you leaves Barclays Blue Rewards, then all of the reward will be paid to the remaining policy or product holder from that point onwards
- if only one of you is a member of Barclays Blue Rewards, that person will get all of the reward.
Protection under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme
Barclays Bank UK PLC is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), the UK’s statutory deposit guarantee scheme. The FSCS pays compensation to eligible depositors if a bank is unable to meet its financial obligations. Most depositors are covered by the scheme. You can find more information in the FSCS information sheet in the Tariff and on our website.
Barclays Bank UK PLC. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 759676). Registered in England. Registered No. 9740322. Registered Office: 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP.
Item ref: 9913701_UK 07/23