Young Persons Account for 16 to 19 year olds
Banking with digital access
An account with tools and features that let you manage your money your way.1
- Make purchases online or in store with a contactless debit card
- Manage your money on the go with Barclays Mobile Banking
- Personalise your debit card with your favourite photo
What you get
Account features and extras
Add a personal touch
We want to make sure that your details are protected when you bank. Here’s our top tips to keep your account secure.
- Memorise your PIN, Online Banking passwords* and other full passwords or passcode and never give them to anyone else.
- Make sure you create a PIN, password or passcode that is hard to guess. For example, use a mix of letters, numbers and symbols (not something like ‘1234’).
- Only download official apps from an official app store.
*You can provide your security details to authorised companies that require your security information to provide account information services and payment initiation services. When we say authorised, we mean a company which is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority or another European regulator to provide the relevant service. In the UK, the Financial Conduct Authority’s register (available at https://register.fca.org.uk/) will tell you whether a company is authorised. You should always consider the implications of sharing your security credentials and your personal information.
- Don’t use a jailbroken phone. Barclays Mobile Banking won’t work on jailbroken phones as we can’t guarantee the security measures we undertake to keep your money safe will work on them.
- If you bank online with us you get free antivirus software to protect your device – see our free Kaspersky security offer.
Discover some of the digital benefits we offer with the Young Person’s Account.
Keep your documents safe
Upload and keep your documents safe and secure with Cloud It – then, access them when you need to in Online Banking or Mobile Banking.
Banking made easy
Get quick access to your account, transfer money and pay new people – all in Barclays Online Banking.
Digital Wings, by Barclays
Be more confident in the digital world. Pick a topic, brush up on your knowledge and test yourself with our quick-fire assessments.
What you need to apply
To open an account for you, we need to see documents that confirm who you are and where you live – these need to be original documents and not photocopies.
To confirm who you are we need 1 of the following
- Full passport
- European Union National Identity Card
- UK full photocard driving licence
- UK Armed Forces ID card
If you don’t have any of these, you can ask your parent or guardian to prove your identity with a birth or adoption certificate and a NHS medical card.
To confirm where you live we need 1 of the following
- A parent or guardian’s household bill, or a bank statement (that’s less than 3 months old)
- A full UK driving licence
If you’re 18 or over, to be eligible for this account you should either be in further education or taking a gap year before starting a full-time higher education course.
Apply in branch
Visit your local branch to apply for a Young Person’s Account – don’t forget to bring your proof of ID and address with you.
Get in touch
If you’ve got a question about our Young Person’s Account, there are many ways to get in touch.
Please don’t share any account information during your chat.
Tweet us a question @BarclaysUKHelp and we’ll respond within 2 hours.
There’s more to explore
Track your money on the go
You can use the Barclays Mobile Banking app with a Young Person’s Account – all you need is a smartphone or tablet.
LifeSkills – for your future
Get the skills you need for a better future with our range of tools, tips and interactive resources.