A woman sits in front of a coffee table looking through paperwork

Barclays Identity Service

Changes to GOV.UK Verify

On 24 March 2020, we stopped issuing new GOV.UK Verify digital identities. That means you won't be able to register for GOV.UK Verify with us anymore.

To access government services, you'll need to set up an identity account with a government service that uses GOV.UK Verify – you'll find the full list on the government's services page. 

Can I still use my existing Barclays identity profile?

If you've already got an identity profile1, you can still use it on GOV.UK to

  • You can use the online service to

    • Fill in and send your tax return to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
    • Go back to a tax return you’ve already started
    • Check your details, view returns and print your tax calculation
  • Use this service to get your State Pension online.

    You’ll need:

    • The date of your most recent marriage, civil partnership or divorce
    • The dates of any time spent living or working abroad
    • Your personal or joint bank or building society details

    If you’ve received a letter about getting your State Pension, you can use the invitation code from it.

    If you haven’t received any invitation letter 2 months before your State Pension age, you can still claim online.

  • Use this service to find out

    • How much State Pension you could get (this amount is also known as your State Pension forecast)
    • When you can get it
    • How to increase it, if you can

    You can’t use this service if you’re already getting your State Pension or if you’ve delayed (‘deferred’) claiming it.

  • Use the service to

    • Check your tax code and Personal Allowance
    • Tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about changes that affect your tax code
    • Update your employer or pension provider details
    • See an estimate of how much tax you’ll pay over the whole tax year
    • Change the estimates of how much income you’ll get over the year from your jobs or pensions
  • You can use this service to

    • View your driving record, for example vehicles you can drive
    • Check your penalty points or disqualifications
    • Create a licence ‘check code’ to share your driving record with someone, for example a car hire company

    The ‘check code’ will be valid for 21 days.

  • You can apply for Universal Credit online.

    You might also need to attend an interview at your local Jobcentre Plus. You’ll be told if you need to after you apply.

    You’ll get your first payment around 6 weeks after applying online if your application is successful.


  • You can claim money (eg redundancy pay, wages you’re owed, holiday pay) if you’ve lost your job because your employer has been made insolvent. 

    Use this service if

    • You’ve been made redundant because your employer is insolvent
    • You have a case reference number (you get this from the insolvency practitioner)
    • You have your National Insurance number
    • You have an email address
    • You’re a national of the UK, the European Economic Area or you’re a Commonwealth citizen with permission to work in the UK
  • Use your personal tax account to check your records and manage your details with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

  • You must tell DVLA about a health or medical condition that could affect your driving.

    You’ll need to enter details about your current driving licence and your condition. You might also need to give your GP’s name and address.

    You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving.

    You can only use the online service to report

    • A condition that affects your vision
    • A defibrillator that you’ve had fitted
    • Diabetes
    • Epilepsy
    • A heart condition
    • A sleep condition
    • Parkinson’s disease
    • A stroke
    • Transient ischaemic attack (TIA)
  • You can renew your short-term medical driving licence if 

    • You have one because of a medical condition
    • It lasts for 1, 2, 3 or 5 years
    • It’s about to expire, or already has

    At the moment, you can only renew online if you have diabetes, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, a visual impairment, a sleep condition, or a heart condition.

  • If you need to pay tax on your company car, you can use this service to

    •  Check your company car’s details
    •  Tell HMRC about any changes to your car since 6 April
    •  Update your fuel benefit, if your employer pays for fuel

    You’ll need

    • The car’s list price (including VAT and accessories)  you can get this from the manufacturer or your employer
    • CO2 emissions information
    • Your National Insurance number the first time you sign in

    You can’t use this service if

    • You were offered a ‘cash allowance’ instead of a car after 6 April 2017
    • You used either of the following after 6 April 2017: a flexible benefits package with a cash option, or a salary sacrifice arrangement
    • You’re part of a car averaging or car sharing scheme
    • Your employer is managing benefits and expenses through the company payroll (known as ‘payrolling’)
    • You want to make updates for a company commercial vehicle, such as a van

    Contact HMRC or your employer to update your details if you can’t do it online.

  • Sign in to make a rural payments claim or update your details. You can register if you don’t already have an account.

    You can use the service to

    • Apply for rural grants and payments, including the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS)
    • Update your personal and business details
    • Check and update digital maps of your registered land
    • Give someone permission to act on your behalf
  • Register online as a ‘trusted helper’ to help a friend or relative

    • Check they’re paying the right amount of Income Tax
    • Check or update their personal tax account
    • Claim a tax refund
    • Check or update their company car tax

    The person you’re helping must then use the service to accept your registration. If they can’t go online, you may be able to call HMRC on their behalf.

    You can be a trusted helper for up to 5 people.

    The person you’re helping will still be legally responsible for their own tax.

    You’ll need the following details for you and the person you’re helping

    • First and last name
    • National Insurance number
    • Date of birth
  • Apply for a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to get a copy of your criminal record. This is called ‘basic disclosure’. It’s available for people living or working in England and Wales.

    To apply, you’ll need:

    • All your addresses for the last 5 years and the dates you lived there
    • Your National Insurance number
    • A debit or credit card
    • Proof of your identity, for example a passport, valid driving license or birth certificate (if you haven’t used GOV.UK Verify before)

How do I update my Barclays identity profile?

You can make changes to your profile in Online Banking or directly in your identity profile, depending on how you created it.

Online Banking

If you created your profile using your Online Banking details, you'll need to make changes by logging into Online Banking and editing the personal details for your bank account – they’re shared with your identity profile.

Identity profile

If you created your profile by choosing a username and password, you'll need to make changes by logging into your profile.