Barclays Mobile Banking app terms and conditions
Before you use the app
We’ve recently updated these terms to let you know that you can use the Barclays Mobile Banking app if you have a Barclays current account or savings account. We’ve also updated these terms to let you know that you will be able to instruct Siri to send payments to the payees featured on your Mobile Banking account and mobile contacts, as long as they’re registered on Pingit or Paym.
These terms replace those we issued in May 2017. Please read and accept these terms and conditions to use the Barclays Mobile Banking app. You can find out more on our Barclays Mobile Banking page https://www.barclays.co.uk/ways-to-bank/mobile-banking-app/archive-terms-conditions/.
Part A – Using the app
About Barclays Mobile Banking
You can use Barclays Mobile Banking to:
- View all your Barclays accounts and related services in one place – including your current account, savings account, investment accounts, Barclaycard and mortgage if you have them
- Make payments (including international payments) and move money between your bank accounts
- Give us payment and other instructions on your bank account, including setting controls on your cards
- Confirm your instructions with the mobile PINsentry in the app
- Make contactless payments to merchants
- Withdraw cash using Contactless Cash from a Barclays Self-Service Device
Who can use Barclays Mobile Banking?
- You must be aged 16 or over and have a Barclays current account or savings account. If you're aged 11-15 years, you can use another version of the app
- It's only available for customers of Barclays Bank UK PLC in the United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man and customers of Gerrard Investment Management Limited in the United Kingdom. If we need to, we can refuse to register you for Barclays Mobile Banking and limit how you use it
The devices it works on
- At the moment, the app works: on Android 4.0, iOS 8.0 or later, and Windows Phone 8.0 or above (we update these regularly). There are different features depending on your phone or tablet, operating system or version of the app you have.
What does it cost?
- If you're a personal customer, we won't charge you for using Barclays Mobile Banking, although charges may apply on some international payments
- If you're a business customer, we may charge you for certain transactions – depending on the tariff you've chosen. All tariff information is available at http://www.barclays.co.uk/ImportantInformation/Ratesandcharges/P1242559944567
- Your internet or network service provider may also charge you for using data on your smartphone or tablet
How to register
Step 1: If you have a joint or business account, check with the other account holders that they’re happy for you to register for Barclays Mobile Banking
Step 2: You’ll need to download the app to your phone or tablet. Search for ‘Barclays Mobile Banking’ in the Apple App Store, Google Play, or the Windows Store. Don’t download it from anywhere else
Step 3: Read and accept the terms and conditions in the mobile app
Step 4: Once you've done this, register and match your mobile number with your Barclays current account
Conditions for using the app
Using the app in the right way
- Only use the app to view your bank accounts and related services, make payments, transfer money, give us instructions with the mobile PINsentry and view your PIN or withdraw cash from a Barclays Self-Service Device
- Don’t use the app to upload or store inappropriate or illegal images or content that breaches the rights of others
- Don’t attempt to make any income directly from using the app
- Don’t use the app to do anything illegal
- Don’t use the app in a way that could damage it or stop it from working or affect our systems or other users – for example, by hacking into or inserting malicious code into the Barclays Mobile Banking app or iOS, Android, Windows or other operating systems
- Don’t collect any information or data from Barclays Mobile Banking or our systems or try to read any messages or information not meant for you
- Only use the app to view your bank accounts and related services, make payments, transfer money or give us instructions on your account
- Make sure you obey any laws that apply to you in any place you use the app
Information about you
Keeping us informed
If your account details or any other information about you changes, tell us straightaway.
How you must protect your money and information
- Barclays Mobile Banking gives you access to your bank accounts, so you need to make sure you don’t allow anybody else to log into your account
- Never give anyone else your passcode or other security details. If you suspect that someone else knows them, call us immediately on 0333 200 1014* (outside the UK dial +44 333 200 1014)
- If you don’t let us know, we may not pay you back if someone takes money from your account because they knew your account details
- Always keep your phone or tablet secure and close the Barclays Mobile Banking app if you’re not using it. Don’t let anyone see your PIN if you are viewing it on your app
- BMB Push Notifications include your transaction details, which will appear on the locked screen of your mobile device unless you change its settings
- Some devices allow you to use your fingerprint for logging into the app. If you enable this feature, then anyone whose fingerprint is registered on your phone or tablet may be able to log into the app and access your accounts. Therefore, you must not activate this feature if you allow other people to access your phone or tablet using their fingerprint. You should delete any other fingerprints registered on the device first; otherwise, transactions made by anyone else who has their fingerprint registered on the device will be treated as being authorised by you
- Don’t install or use the app on a jail-broken or rooted device. These have had their security features changed in order to work, which makes them less secure, and means that fraudsters could access your phone or tablet and steal your information or money
If someone wants to know your security details
We won’t ever phone you or send you an email asking for your security details. Nor will we ever ask anybody to do this for us. If anyone contacts you asking for your security details, they may be a fraudster. Tell us immediately on 0333 200 1014* (outside the UK dial +44 333 200 1014)
- We need these cookies for Barclays Mobile Banking to work – if you don’t want them, you’ll have to delete the app
How the app accesses information about you
- If you use certain features (like uploading content or the ATM finder), the app will need to access information on your phone or tablet to work. You can limit this for some features, for example by turning off location settings on your phone or not using the features (like the ATM finder)
- If you enable push notifications in your device settings, we will send you notifications in accordance with the applicable OS (iOS/Android) End User Licence Agreement
- If we can, we’ll ask you before the app accesses your device or information – and you can decline
- You can manage how the app accesses your device or information using privacy settings on your iPhone or iPad, or by uninstalling the app (for Android or Windows). You can also do it through the usage settings in the app’s menu
- If you don’t do this, we’ll assume you agree that the app can access your device or information
- When you use any part of the app which needs your location to work, you agree that we (and other organisations that work with us) can collect and use information about your location
What else you need to know
Changes to Barclays Mobile Banking and our terms and conditions
- These terms and conditions replace those we issued in May 2017.
- If we need to change anything about Barclays Mobile Banking, we’ll tell you about the change in advance (if it negatively affects how you use the app) or we’ll tell you after we make the change (if it benefits you or doesn’t affect how you use the app). We’ll send you a text or alert or display a message about the change when you next use the app or log into our website. If there’s anything we need you to agree we might ask you to read and accept a message on your screen to continue using the app
- From time to time, we may update the app through the app store. Depending on what the update is, you may not be able to use the app until you’ve installed the latest version and accepted the new information about it. We’ll let you know via your phone or tablet when there’s a new version to upload
- From time to time, we may contact you about Barclays Mobile Banking by email, text or other messages on the Barclays Mobile Banking app, or by telephone or post
- Sometimes, these may be marketing messages. If you don’t want to receive them, you can tell us at any time by contacting us on our normal contact number. You can also text STOP in response to marketing text messages or follow any other instructions we include to unsubscribe
If things go wrong
If something goes wrong and it’s our fault, we’ll make good your loss. The terms of our account (the ‘General Terms’) explain when you can claim back from us if you lose money because of something that’s our fault.
There are some things that we’re not responsible for because they’re out of our control or they relate to how your phone or tablet works. So we can’t be responsible if you lose money because:
- You cannot access the app for any reason or it’s slow
- Any device, hardware or software you use with the app is damaged or corrupted or doesn’t work
- The app doesn’t work as you expect, doesn’t meet your requirements or contains errors or defects or we don't correct these
- You don’t receive a text or message in the app in time
- We’re prevented from providing any service in part or in full because of something a third party does
- If you have applied controls to your cards, for example, turning remote purchases off, we will not be liable to you if you have properly authorised a remote purchase and the card transaction is executed. This should only happen in certain circumstances such as: contactless payments (including Apple Pay and Contactless Mobile payments), Direct Debits, Subscription payments, Online Cheques and certain Internet Purchases (e.g. delayed payments made before Remote Purchases was switched off)
Part B – Paying a mobile contact
You’ll need to read and accept these terms and conditions to send or receive mobile payments using the Barclays Mobile Banking app. You can find out more on our Barclays Mobile Banking page.
Pay a mobile contact
Barclays Mobile Banking lets you send money using just a mobile number, via a third party, either Pingit, Paym or other service we tell you about.
When you pay a mobile contact, the payment information they see will include your name, payment reference and the amount. Your phone number is not sent to the recipient.
You can also choose to receive payments by mobile. When you do this, anyone with your mobile number will be able to see your name and that you’ve registered to receive mobile payments.
Pingit and Paym let you link your mobile number with your bank account so you can send or receive money using a mobile. There’s more information on the Pingit and Paym websites.
Please note you can only register for Paym with one account. If you’ve already registered an account from another bank or building society, you’ll need to de-register before you can register with your Barclays account.
Some key things you need to know
There’s no charge to make or receive mobile payments, but your mobile service provider might charge you for using data
- The recipient will receive a notification and SMS to confirm the payment. They’ll also be able to see your name, payment reference, and payment amount
- Payment limits apply – you can check these on our website (or in the app)
- We might refuse to process a payment for reasons set out in the General Terms
- You need to tell us if you change your mobile number or account details so that we can continue to process payments correctly
- The terms and conditions for using the Barclays Mobile Banking app apply to this service, as do the General Terms for your account
- You must sign up for Siri Payments to use this feature in Barclays Mobile Banking
- You must have iOS 10 or higher on your device to use the Siri Payments feature
- When using the Siri Payments feature you will still be required to use your fingerprint to authenticate the payment, so you will need to ensure this functionality is activated on your device.
If a payment is made by mistake
- You need to make sure you give us the right details so that we can ensure your payment goes to the right person
- If you enter the wrong details, the payment might not go through or it might go to the wrong person. While we’re not held responsible for this, we’ll help you to try and get your money back. We explain this in more detail in the General Terms
- If someone pays you by mistake, you authorise us to take the money from your account and return it to them. You must tell us as soon as possible and return any money you suspect or know has been sent to you by mistake
We’ll use your information as set out in the General Terms. When you choose to receive mobile payments, we share your mobile number with Pingit, Paym or other service we tell you about. This means other users of these services will be able to see your name and mobile number. You should also know that:
- By selecting a contact within the Barclays Mobile Banking app, you consent to Barclays accessing your address book
- If you sync Barclays Mobile Banking with your address book, we’ll store your contacts’ numbers on our servers so you can make payments quickly. We won’t use them for anything else
- We don’t store any names, emails, addresses or other information from your address book
- When you sync your address book, the app will show you who you can pay by mobile by displaying a Pingit icon next their name
- If another user has your mobile number in their address book, they’ll be able to see if you’re registered to receive mobile payments
- You can block our access to your contacts, but other Pingit users will still be able to see your name and that you can receive mobile payments, if you’ve registered to do so
- When you use the Siri Payments feature, we will share limited data with Apple so that Siri can understand when you ask to make a payment, and can access payment details for the person you have asked to pay. Please see Apple’s privacy notice for details of how Apple uses your information. You can find the notice within your Siri device settings. You can opt out of Siri access within Barclays Mobile Banking in your device settings at any time.
Information we share with Paym
When you choose to receive mobile payments using Paym, your mobile number, account name and details will be shared with the following (who have promised to keep these secure and confidential):
- The Mobile Payments Services Company Limited (the ‘Operator’), the company appointed by the UK Payments Council to operate the Paym service
- The service providers and agents (including their subcontractors) of the Operator
- Other financial institutions who are members of Paym
- Employees and contractors of any of these
Part C – Contactless Mobile and Contactless Cash
What is Contactless Mobile in Barclays Mobile Banking?
You can now make contactless payments of up to £100 using an NFC-enabled Android device. Contactless Mobile is currently only available to Android users with an NFC-enabled device running on Android 4.4 KitKat or above (“Eligible Device”).
How does Contactless Mobile work?
If you have an Eligible Device, you'll be presented with an option to select Contactless Mobile in the Barclays Mobile Banking app menu. If you have an eligible Barclays debit card and /or Barclaycard simply select the card you wish to pay with, select Barclays Mobile Banking as the default ‘Tap and Pay’ on your device and ensure the NFC functionality is switched on. Whilst linked to the same account, your Contactless Mobile will have its own 16-digit number different to the one on your physical payment card. This Contactless Mobile account number can be viewed by selecting ‘account details’ from the Contactless Mobile homepage within the mobile-banking app.
If the payment is above £30 or you select ‘Always use PIN’ you’ll need to enter your normal card PIN into your Eligible Contactless Device when prompted to do so whilst making a payment. Otherwise simply wake-up the Eligible Contactless Device and hold it over the contactless reader.
What is Contactless Cash in Barclays Mobile Banking?
Contactless Cash allows you to make contactless withdrawals of up to £100 per day from Barclays Self-Service Devices using an eligible Barclays debit card or eligible device.
How does Contactless Cash work?
If you have enabled Contactless Mobile on your device, you'll be presented with an option to select Contactless Cash in the Contactless Mobile feature of the mobile-banking app.
You can use Contactless Cash in the following ways:
- Simply hold your eligible Barclays Debit Card over the contactless reader on the Barclays Self-Service Device and enter your normal card PIN when prompted
- Ensure you have enabled the Contactless Cash feature on your eligible device and hold it over the reader on the Barclays Self-Service Device. Enter your normal card PIN when prompted.
- Enter the amount you would like to withdraw in the Contactless Cash feature in Barclays Mobile Banking and when prompted, enter your card PIN into the app. After this is complete, hold the eligible device over the contactless reader on the Barclays Self-Service Device within the time limit displayed on the app
If you want to return something bought using Contactless Mobile, you'll need your store receipt. It will show the last four digits of your Contactless Mobile account number, and it may be needed for the refund. When the merchant is ready to process the refund, you'll need to wake-up the Eligible Contactless Device and hold it over the contactless payment terminal. Refunds will also be subject to the merchant’s terms and conditions.
You can use Contactless Mobile to pay for your TfL journey by holding your Eligible Contactless Device over the contactless pad at the TfL gate at the beginning and end of your journey. You will not be asked for your PIN even if you have switched on ‘Always use PIN’. The app will only present a screen with information and/or instructions if there is an error.
What does it cost?
There are no additional charges that will apply for using Contactless Mobile or Contactless Cash, however your internet or network service provider may charge you for using data on your Eligible Contactless Device.
What else do you need to know?
You can continue to make payments with Contactless Mobile and withdrawals with Contactless Cash without a mobile network connection.
The app may ask you to log in after you have completed a number of consecutive transactions without logging in.
The app will need to access information on your phone or tablet to work. Additionally we collect location data for fraud prevention purposes. You can choose not to allow this information to be collected by turning off location settings on your phone. You can manage how the app accesses your device or information using your privacy settings or by uninstalling the app.
You will also be subject to your general Barclays Mobile Banking terms and conditions, so please read these carefully. These can be viewed via the Quick Links menu on the homepage within the app.
Part D – Other things you need to know
If you’re unhappy with something
If you're unhappy with Barclays Mobile Banking or feel we have done something wrong, please contact us and give us the opportunity to investigate and resolve the matter. This also helps improve our service for all customers.
If you remain unhappy
If after we have investigated you remain unhappy, you may be able to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). The Financial Ombudsman is a free, independent service for resolving disputes between customers and financial services institutions. If you're eligible to make a complaint to the FOS, you'll need to contact them within 6 months of our final response letter – and they'll ask to see the letter as summary of our investigation of your complaint.
Phone(from a UK landline): 0800 023 4567
The Financial Ombudsman Service
Online Dispute Resolution
The European Commission has set up an online dispute resolution platform (ODR platform) to help customers who have bought goods or services online from traders established in the European Union. If you have not been able to get your complaint resolved to your satisfaction, you can submit your complaint online through the ODR platform. The platform will then send your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) for an independent review. To save time you may wish to contact the FOS directly, using the details provided in the terms and conditions for your product. You can access the ODR platform here.
As a Barclays customer, you may use this service if you purchased your product or service with us online. You will need to quote our postal address, website address and email address.
Barclays, Leicester LE87 2BB
Third-party software and copyrighted material
The Barclays Mobile Banking app uses and includes third-party software and copyrighted material. It’s also subject to third-party or other open-source licences. Portions of the software are based in part on:
– CocoaLumberjack licensed under BSD Licence (Copyright ©2010, Deusty, LLC)
– OpenSSL toolkit under dual licences OpenSSL Licence (Copyright © 1998–2011 The OpenSSL Project) and Original SSLeay Licence (Copyright ©1995–1998 Eric Young – email@example.com)
– MIT licence (Copyright ©2011 Matej Bukovinski)
– Licence for Base64 encoding options on the Mac and iPhone, Copyright ©2009–
2011 Matt Gallagher. All rights reserved
– Basic demonstration of how to use the System Configuration Reachability APIs, Apple Disclaimer, Copyright ©2010 Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved
– OpenSSL toolkit under dual licences OpenSSL Licence (Copyright ©1998–2011 The OpenSSL Project) and Original SSLeay Licence (Copyright ©1995–1998 Eric Young – firstname.lastname@example.org)
– Apache Version 2.0, January 2004, licensed under the Apache Licence (apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0) and The Android Software Development Kit used under licence from Google Inc.
– Json.net licensed under MIT licence (Copyright ©2007 James Newton-King)
– The Crypto++ library licensed under Boost Software Licence (Copyright ©1995–2013 Wei Dai)
– WP Toolkit licensed under Microsoft Public Licence (Ms-PL) (Copyright ©Microsoft 2012)
iOS, Android, and Windows Phone
– W3C Software (Copyright ©1994–2001 World Wide Web Consortium, (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics, Keio University). All Rights Reserved. w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software 20021231.
Call monitoring and charges information
* Calls may be monitored or recorded for quality and training purposes. Calls to 03 numbers are charged at the same rate as calls to 01 and 02 landlines, and will count towards any inclusive minutes you have covering calls to landline numbers. Charges may apply when calling from abroad.
Barclays Bank UK PLC. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register number: 759676). Barclays Bank UK PLC adheres to The Standards of Lending Practice which is monitored and enforced by The Lending Standards Board. Further details can be found at www.lendingstandardsboard.org.uk.
Barclays Insurance Services Company Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Register number: 312078).
Barclays Smart Investor is a trading name of Barclays Investment Solutions Limited. Barclays Investment Solutions Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. (Financial Services Register number: 155595). Barclays Investment Solutions Limited is a member of the London Stock Exchange & NEX.
Barclays Bank PLC. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register number: 122702).
Barclays Bank UK PLC. Registered no. 9740322. Barclays Insurance Services Company Limited. Registered no. 973765. Barclays Investment Solutions Limited. Registered no. 2752982. Barclays Bank PLC. Registered no. 1026167. All registered in England. Registered office for all: 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP.