Letting us know

What we’ll do next

Once you’ve notified us, we’ll make the process of closing the accounts as smooth as possible.

Ways to notify us

However you choose to contact us, you’ll only need the person’s name, address and date of birth to notify us of their death. We can also help by paying a funeral bill and inheritance tax invoice if there’s enough money in the deceased’s accounts – we’ll tell you which documents we’ll need to do this.


Our online form lets you notify us and send the documents we need when you have them. You can also notify a number of banks and building societies about a person’s death at the same time using the Death Notification Service.


You can call us on 0800 068 22381(option 1) to speak directly to a dedicated adviser from our bereavement team.


You can write to us at

Bereavement Service Centre
Barclays Bank UK PLC
LE87 2BB

If you have the documents listed below, please send them when you notify us. We’ll write back to confirm the next steps.

In person

If you’d like to come and see us, you can book a time that suits you at any of our branches.

Please bring the documents you’ll need to close the account.

Full products checklist

What we’ll do next

Once you’ve told us about the person’s death, we’ll stop any further communications to the account holder. It takes a short time to arrange this, so you might receive letters addressed to them in the meantime. We’re very sorry for any distress this causes.

We’ll freeze any accounts that are in the deceased’s name only and cancel all Direct Debits and standing orders.

We’ll give you a personal reference number starting with BRV – keep a note of this as it’ll help our team to answer any queries. We might ask you to provide supporting information – if we do, please write the number on every page.

We’ll aim to make the whole process of closing the accounts as easy as possible for you.

Documents we’ll need to close the account

You can send these documents by post or take them to a branch – we’ll make photocopies and return the originals to you.

1. The death certificate

We’ll need to see a certified copy of the death certificate provided by the registrar. We also accept interim death certificates, coroner’s certificates, and non-UK death certificates that have been translated into English.

2. Proof of your identity

You’ll need to show one of the following

  • Valid full or provisional driving licence (both UK and international)
  • Valid UK or international passport
  • Blue disabled driver pass (showing serial number)
  • Benefits entitlement letter or book (excluding Universal Credit)
  • Child tax credit or working tax credit letter
  • Immigration status documents or UK residence permit
  • Student ID card
  • UK citizen card
  • UK armed forces card

3. A closure form

You’ll be asked to fill in a Personal indemnity closure form [PDF, 182KB] once you’ve notified us. You can complete it at a branch or download it and send to us by post. 

4. Other legal documents

If the person had more than £50,000 across their sole accounts with us, we’ll need to see proof that you’ve been given probate – the legal right to deal with the estate.

For more information about what probate is and how to apply, visit the government’s guide to applying for probate.

You don’t need probate for joint accounts

For any joint accounts, the other account holder will become the sole owner of the account and any money in it. You don’t need to apply for probate for this to happen.

Free resources and tools

Co-op Legal Services offers free resources and tools to help you understand probate and other things you’ll need to plan for, including: 

  • Dealing with personal belongings
  • Handling home insurance
  • Protecting online accounts.

They also offer fixed-fee probate services. You can get a quote online or call 0330 041 7819

Co-op Legal Services is a probate specialist and is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. You can also get this service from other companies.

Closing our accounts and services

We’ll tell you what to do when you notify us but if you’d like information about specific types of accounts, you can find it below.

In each case, if there’s any outstanding debt, we’ll pay that back first from the balance if there’s enough money in the deceased’s account.


The next steps

Financial and emotional support

Life after loss

We’ll give you practical help to get you through the first weeks and months following a bereavement, and tell you about free services that can help you cope with your loss.

Definition of terms

Jargon buster

Check our glossary for an explanation of any legal terms you’re unfamiliar with.