The way you pay online is changing
Make sure you know what to do
Find out about a new way to help protect you from fraud when you pay for things online.
Why are online payments changing?
Later this year, new regulations on payment services will come into effect. The changes will help protect you from fraud, as sometimes you’ll be asked to prove it really is you when making some online purchases.
There are three ways to confirm it’s you – the quickest and easiest way is using the Barclays app1.
- The Barclays app – confirming it’s you takes just a few taps with our secure app. If you don’t already have the app, you can download it from your app store
- Text message – we’ll send a code to your mobile for you to enter on the payment screen to confirm your identity
- PINsentry card reader – if you have a Barclays PINsentry card reader, you can use it to generate a code that confirms it’s you. You’ll need to have the card reader, debit card and PIN ready when asked to verify it's really you making the payment
How does it work?
Once you’re ready to pay, enter and confirm your card details as normal. When that’s done, a verification screen will ask you to confirm it is you, using one of these three options.
- Choose ‘Receive a code by text message’ and select ‘Next’
- You’ll see a new message on the verification screen telling you that a one-time verification code will be sent to your phone
- You’ll receive a text message with the verification code you need to enter into the verification screen
- Once you’ve entered the verification code, follow the on-screen instructions to complete your payment
How to get ready for this
Make sure we have your up-to-date mobile phone number. We can only send verification codes to the number we have stored for you.
PINsentry card reader
- Choose ‘PINsentry card reader’ and select ‘Next’. You’ll see an eight-digit code that you’ll need in a second
- Slide your card in to your card reader, chip-end first, and press ‘Respond’ on the keypad
- Type your card’s PIN into the card reader and press ‘Enter’. Then enter the eight-digit code given to you by the Verified by Visa window on your screen and select ‘Enter’
- Your card reader will display a new eight-digit code. Enter this into the space shown on the Verified by Visa window and press ‘Submit’
- Once you’ve entered the code, follow the on-screen instructions to complete your payment
How to get ready for this
You’ll need your PINsentry card reader, debit card and PIN ready to confirm it is really you making the payment. You can order a new card reader if yours is lost or broken, or if you need an accessible card reader.
PSD2 business payments
The Payment Services Directive (PSD2) is designed to help your business take payments more securely.
Find out how this industry-wide regulation will affect your business.
The way you log in to Online Banking is changing
We’re about to make some changes to Online Banking that could affect the way you log in. If you log in using a passcode and memorable word, you’ll sometimes need to take one more step to confirm it’s you. We’re doing this to fit in with new guidance from our regulator. You can choose either
Your card’s security code
Enter the three-digit security number from the back of your card. If you don’t have a card, you can order a new one.
A code we’ll send you by text
Ask us to send a code to your mobile, which you’ll need to enter into the online verification screen.
It’s important we have the right UK mobile number for you or anyone named on your current account. You can easily check and update your contact details in your Barclays app, Online Banking or by calling the number on the back of your card.
If you usually log in with a PINSentry card reader or mobile PINSentry, you won’t need to complete any extra security steps.