Living or moving outside of the UK

Changes that could affect your accounts

If you live outside of the UK or you’re planning to move abroad in the future, you could face changes to your banking and investment products and services.

If we’ve contacted you about the closure of your accounts, it means that we can no longer provide them, because we have an address for you, or for someone associated with your account, in the EEA.

Please get in touch if you have any questions – we’re here to help. The Barclays app is the quickest way to speak to us – just log in, scroll down to ‘Contact us’, and tap ‘Chat’.

Please check this page regularly, as we’ll update it with information on products and individual EEA countries.

Do we have the right address for you?

If we’ve contacted you, it’s important that you check and update your address if it’s incorrect. An incorrect address could affect the banking and investment products and services we can offer you.

For your accounts to stay open, you and everyone you have an account with need to live in the UK, and all of the addresses we have for you also need to be in the UK.

It’s important to check all of the different addresses we have for you or anyone you hold an account with. This includes residential, correspondence and statement addresses. See how to update your address.

Under what circumstances can I have an EEA address and keep my accounts open?

You'll be able to keep an EEA address if you meet one of the following criteria

  • You’re a Crown employee, or you’re the spouse or civil partner of a Crown employee
  • The EEA address on your account is for someone who manages your account for you (for example, someone who has power of attorney), or for someone who is set up to receive information on your behalf (for example, an accountant or lawyer)
  • You’re in the EEA on a temporary basis for six months or less and will be moving back to the UK

Please contact us if any of these apply to you – even if you’ve received notice about us closing your account so that we can make sure your accounts are set up correctly. Other restrictions may apply. 

How we can help

Please get in touch to discuss any personal circumstances that mean you might need extra help (for example, you’re suffering serious ill health or a bereavement). 

The impact on your accounts

If we’ve closed your savings and/or current account

You can claim your account balance, plus any interest you might have earned since it closed. The quickest way to do this is online, but you can also post the request to us, or visit one of our UK branches.

You can claim all your savings, current accounts and cash ISAs together on the same form. Here’s how to claim your money if your address is in the EEA.

Haven’t received anything from us?

You don’t need to do anything if one of your addresses is in the EEA and we haven’t contacted you. If this changes, we’ll give you as much notice as we can to take any action. We’ll also make closing your accounts as simple as possible. 

Frequently asked questions

Our answers are correct at the time of writing on 16 November 2021. Things could change, so check this page regularly for the most up-to-date information.


General questions

Which countries are in the EEA?

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Why have you contacted me? 

Barclays UK products are designed for customers within the UK. We continue to review the services we offer to customers living outside of the UK.

We’ll contact you directly if you’re affected by the changes. We’ll give you as much notice as we can to take any action and we’ll make closing your accounts as simple as possible.

We’re sorry if you’re affected by these changes – we want to thank you for being a loyal customer and we hope that, if you return to the UK, you’ll bank with us again.

What's an acceptable UK address? 

If you live in the UK, your address must be in one of these countries

  • England
  • Scotland
  • Wales  
  • Northern Ireland

We can’t accept a PO Box, C/O or a Barclays branch address.

Updating your address

Do I need to change my address to a UK address to keep my accounts open?

If you’ve heard from us about the closure of your accounts, all addresses we have for you must be in the UK. This includes all addresses on each of the products you have with us. An address associated with your account for a third party outside of the UK (for example, an accountant or someone with power of attorney) is fine.

Can I update my address details online?

We’re sorry, you can’t change an address outside of the UK online or in the app. You can update your address using 'Chat' in your app. Alternatively, you can call us or, if you’re in the UK, visit one of our branches.

How can I update my address if I can't get to a branch, can’t travel due to restrictions, or I’m not registered for Telephone Banking or the app?

You can send a written request to

Barclays, Leicester, United Kingdom LE87 2BB

You'll have to give us verified ID. The people who can certify documents as evidence of your identity are

  • A Barclays (or ABSA) branch member of staff, who should use the office or branch stamp
  • A member of staff at a major international bank
  • A consular or embassy official from your consulate or embassy
  • A qualified lawyer who is a member of the National Legal Association in a Financial Action Task Force (FATF) country or equivalent

Read more about updating your address

I don’t think I have an EEA address on the accounts that are closing

The EEA address could be associated with some of the other accounts you have with us. Please get in touch so we can check the addresses we have for you and update them if necessary.

I don’t have an EEA address, so this must be associated with one of the people on my joint accounts. Can I keep the accounts open?

All account holders need to be living in the UK and every address we have for everyone on the accounts must be in the UK too. This includes all of the addresses on each of the products you have with us.

To keep the accounts open, anyone on the account with an EEA address needs to contact us to update their address. Alternatively, removing a party with an EEA address from an account will mean that the account can stay open.

I’m studying or living in the UK but plan to return to the EEA. Can I keep my accounts open?

If you’re living in the UK, you’ll need to update all of your addresses to your UK address. Then, your accounts can stay open until you return to the EEA.

If the EEA correspondence address on my account is for a holiday home, is a friend or family member’s address and is not my main residence, what can I do to keep my accounts open?

You need to update your address details to your main address, as long as it’s in the UK, to keep your account open. This includes all addresses on all of the products you have with us. You can access your statements and correspondence through ‘Statements and documents’ online or in your app, rather than having them sent to an EEA address. 

Can I use a relative’s or friend’s address in the UK to stop my account being closed? 

No, it’s important that you continue to use the address where you live. 

What happens if I’ve moved to another EEA country that isn’t affected by these changes?

We’ll update your address details, but if you’re still living in the EEA, you might still be affected by the changes. If that's the case, we'll write to you.

I’m a Crown employee or a spouse or civil partner of a Crown employee. Can I keep my accounts open?

Yes, please contact us so we can update our records.

I’ve already given you updated address details – why are my accounts still being closed?

If you’ve received a letter from us, we might still have an EEA address for you on one of your other products or services. Please contact us so we can update any address that’s still within the EEA.

I’m moving abroad in the future – how will this affect my accounts?

You’ll need to let us your know your new address when you move abroad. This might affect your accounts, but we’ll write to you to let you know how.

EEA residents – making changes to your banking

Can I have my UK state pension paid into a non-UK bank account?

Yes. The government provides guidance about pensions for UK nationals in the EEA or you can contact the International Pension Centre.

Can I transfer my account to another UK bank using the Current Account Switch Service (CASS)?

The Current Account Switch Service is only available to people who live in the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey. Please contact the bank that you’d like to switch to for more details.

How do I transfer my cash ISA using the ISA Transfer Service?

If you want to transfer your cash ISA to another UK bank or building society and keep your UK tax-free savings benefits, you’ll need to use the ISA Transfer Service.

Once you’ve chosen a new provider, ask them to open an account and start the ISA transfer process with us. Once we receive the ISA transfer request, we’ll keep your account open for you so the ISA transfer can be processed.

If you have a Flexible Cash ISA, we won’t charge you the usual fee to transfer your funds before the end of its term.

The transfer can take up to three weeks to complete – start making these arrangements now so there’s enough time for your new provider to contact us. 

Following this process will protect the UK tax-free savings benefits of your cash ISA savings.

What’s the impact on my loan?

Your loan won’t be affected as long as you can keep making your agreed repayments from a UK bank account. If you make payments from an account that’s closing, you’ll have to change them to another account.

I have a Mortgage Reserve on my Mortgage Current Account. Can I continue to use this?

We sent you a letter with information about your Mortgage Reserve. If your Reserve is

  • Not used – it’ll be removed on the date on the letter – you won’t be able to use your Reserve after this date
  • Partially used – we’ll reduce your Reserve to cover the balance on your account from the date on the letter. You won’t be able to make payments from your account and we’ll reduce your Reserve every time money is paid into your account
  • Fully used – from the date on the letter, we’ll reduce your Reserve every time money is paid into your account

Closing your account

How do I close my account?

Get in touch with us. The quickest way is by using our app to chat to us online – just log in, scroll down to ‘Contact us’ and tap ‘Chat’. 

If you’re sending closure instructions by post, we’ll need a copy of your signature to verify your identity. You’ll also need to provide certified proof of ID and address if your account balance is more than £10,000. 

I have or had an overdraft on my account. Can I use this before the account is closed?

The letter we sent you has more information on the accounts that are closing, and how this might affect your overdraft. If the overdraft is

  • Being removed – you can’t use your overdraft after the removal date
  • Being reduced – you can still use your overdraft but you need to stay within your new limit and ensure any overdrawn balances are repaid before the account is closed
  • Remaining unchanged – you can continue to use your overdraft but make sure any overdrawn balances are repaid before the account is closed

If you don’t have an EEA address or if you meet one of the exceptions, please let us know as soon as possible so you can keep using your accounts. If you have an overdraft on any of your accounts, any changes to it that haven’t taken effect when we update your details will no longer apply.

My account is overdrawn and I can’t pay this back before my account closes. What should I do?

Please get in touch so we can help. If your account is closed with an outstanding balance, then we may pass your details to our financial assistance team. They’ll contact you to discuss your options to repay the money.

I’ve been charged a fee for transferring money from my account that’s closing, but I was told there were no fees.

We’ll waive any fees for transferring money out of the account that’s closing. If we’ve charged you in error, please get in touch so we can refund the fee. However, depending on the banking provider for your receiving account, you might be charged for receiving the money. Please check with your provider if you have any questions.

I have items in a safety deposit box but I can’t get to the UK to empty it before my account closes.

You’ll need to arrange for someone else to collect the items on your behalf. Please contact us to set up a third-party authority on your account.

Are there any alternative Barclays accounts I can have?

We’re sorry, we can’t offer you any new accounts if you’re living in the EEA.

Can you re-open my account after it’s been closed?

We’re sorry, we can’t re-open an account that's been closed. If you'd like to apply for a new account, you need to be a UK resident and meet our eligibility criteria.

I have an account with an overdrawn balance and one with a credit balance. Can you use my credit balance to repay my overdrawn balance?

Yes, please get in touch so we can help you move your money to repay the overdrawn balance. You’ll need to make other arrangements for any remaining credit balance, tell us to where to pay this money and any accrued interest, and then close the account. 

I’ve moved back to the UK but I was unable to contact you and now my account has been closed. How do I get my money back?

You can claim the balance of your savings and/or current account and any interest earned since it was closed. The quickest way to do this is online – you can also post the request to us, or visit one of our UK branches. Here’s how to claim your money if your address is in the EEA and your account has been closed.

I have other accounts with you but I haven’t received any communication about these yet.

We’ll contact you separately if they're affected, and explain what you need to do and when.

I need copies of my financial statements. How can I get statements and do I have to pay a fee?

You can download any statements you need now before your account closes. You can do this through ‘Statements and documents’ either in our app or Online Banking.

We can send you statements from the past five years for your current accounts free of charge after we close your account. You can contact us to arrange this.

I’m unhappy that you're closing my accounts. How do I complain?

We’re sorry that you’ve been affected and we’d like to thank you for banking with us.

If you’d like to make a complaint, you can visit any of our branches or call us on 0800 400 100. Lines are open Monday to Sunday from 9am to 5pm.

To maintain a quality service, we may monitor or record phone calls. Call charges

Alternatively, you can write to us at Barclays, Leicester United Kingdom LE87 2BB.

If you’re still unhappy after making a complaint to us, you could refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.