Keeping your money safe
What we’re doing to protect your account
We’re always keeping an eye out for threats from hackers and fraudsters. Here are some measures we take to make sure your money is safe.
Free security software
Protecting your devices with security software helps keep your accounts safe from malicious software used by fraudsters.
To take advantage of our free Kaspersky Internet Security software offer, download the software and register using your Online Banking details.
Our Online and Mobile Banking guarantee
If a fraudster manages to steal money from your account, you’re automatically protected by our Online and Mobile Banking Guarantee. This means we’ll refund your account straightaway – provided you haven’t acted fraudulently or without reasonable care (for example, you haven’t kept your PIN written down with your card, or disclosed it to someone else).
If we have reasonable grounds to think you’re not entitled to a refund, we might look into your claim first. We won’t give you a refund if we think you’ve acted fraudulently – in those cases, we may involve the police.
PINsentry provides a strong layer of protection in addition to your log-in details, and helps keep your accounts even safer.
It works by asking you to insert your Barclays debit card and PIN into a card reader that we send you. The reader generates a unique security code that you'll need to type into Online Banking. And if you register for our mobile banking app, you can get the code on your smartphone using Mobile PINsentry. That way, you get the additional security when logging in without needing to carry your card reader around.
As a bank, we’ll never call you to ask for your PINsentry code.
Our online security system
- Data encryption – our Online Banking service is hosted on a secure, 128-bit encrypted server. This means that any information you send us is scrambled for your protection
- Timed log out – we’ll log you out if you don't use the service for 10 minutes. This gives you added protection if you forget to log yourself out
- Deactivation of your log-in details – we'll automatically disable your access to Online Banking if 3 incorrect log-in attempts are made. This is to stop fraudsters making repeated attempts to get into your accounts
We’re always checking for any suspicious activity on your account, so you may get a text message or call from our automated system to confirm a recent transaction or a change of address.
We may sometimes delay or decline transactions that we think are unusual, or even block your account until we can confirm that you’re making the transaction. Keep your contact details up to date so we can get in contact quickly to minimise any inconvenience.
Stop and think
If we do call, we’ll never ask for your passcodes, passwords, PIN, card details, PINsentry codes or sensitive account information. If we send you a text message, we’ll only ask you to reply with a ‘Y’ or an ‘N’. (These text messages are free to reply to in the UK and will cost no more than a standard text from other countries).
If you get a call, voicemail or a text from someone claiming to be from our Fraud Team and you think it’s suspicious, call us back using the number on the back of your card. You can also verify the phone number using our telephone number checker.
As soon as you receive a Barclays Visa debit card, you’re automatically registered for Verified by Visa. We’ll occasionally ask you for some extra security information to verify your purchases when you checkout online, protecting your card against unauthorised use.
Security standards and accreditation
Managing your money online or on your smartphone is easy and convenient. And it’s so safe that we’ve received the following security certifications and awards
- Kitemark for Secure Digital Transactions – awarded to our mobile banking and Pingit apps by the British Standards Institute (BSI). Both apps have been independently tested to make sure your financial and personal details are protected
- ISO/IEC 27001:2013 Certification – awarded to our Online Banking service, and our mobile banking and Pingit apps. The certification follows independent assessment against an international standard of the work we’ve done to keep your account access and payments secure
- Cyber Essentials Scheme – a government-backed programme that recognises good security practices in business
We offer free security software and our Online and Mobile Banking Guarantee protects you from losses (as long as you’ve used the services correctly).
You may also be interested in
Our Online and Mobile Banking Guarantee
We’re working hard to protect your money
Feel safe when banking online. Find out how our guarantee works to protect you and your money from fraud – plus what you can do, too.
Think you’ve been a victim of fraud?
Contact us right away if you’ve seen suspicious activity on your account. Here you’ll find the numbers you need, and the steps we’ll take.
Free Kaspersky security software
Stay safe online and on your mobile with Kaspersky
Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 delivers premium PC, Mac and Android protection from online threats to your identity, your money and your family.
Need to visit a branch? To find your nearest one, enter your address, town or postcode in our finder.