Higher Education Account
Our account for graduates
No monthly fee for the account, a contactless card and a fee-free1 overdraft of up to £3,000 (subject to status), depending on your year of graduation.
- You can keep this account for 3 years after graduating
- Get help and information on building your credit score
- Earn cashback from over 150 retailers like Boots, Moonpig and JustEat – terms, conditions and retailer exclusions apply
Representative example: For your first year after graduation – fee-free overdraft up to £3,000 (subject to application and status) while you stay within that limit. Lower overdraft fee-free amount applies in second and third year after graduation.
How this account works
You can apply to borrow money on this account – free of charge – up to a certain limit, subject to status. Your fee-free limit will depend on how long it’s been since you graduated. The maximum overdraft you can apply for is £3,000.
The fee-free limits are
- Up to £3,000 in your first year after graduation
- Up to £2,000 in your second year after graduation
- Up to £1,000 in your third year after graduation
We take your graduation date to be 30 June of the final year of your course.
When you go over your fee-free limit, you’ll either be charged 50p a day or £1 a day, based on the whole amount you’re borrowing. The charges are
- 50p a day for borrowing up to £2,000
- £1 a day for borrowing more than £2,000
If you have a fee-free overdraft of £2,000, we won’t charge you while you stay within that limit. If you go over your limit so that you’re borrowing £2,020, you’d be charged £1 a day.
With this account you’ll also be able to
- Register for Online Banking, Telephone Banking and Barclays Mobile Banking2
- Get free Text Alerts3 about your account to your mobile
- Add Features Store Packs for extras like travel insurance and gadget cover for a monthly fee
- Get cashback from over 150 retailers like Boots, Moonpig and JustEat
- Earn monthly rewards and enhanced cashback when you join Barclays Blue Rewards. Terms, eligibility and a monthly fee apply
Who can apply?
If you have a student account with us – sit back and relax. You don’t need to apply, we’ll automatically upgrade you if you meet the eligibility criteria below. We’ll let you know when it’s been done and transfer over your existing overdraft, if you have one.
If you don’t already have an account with us, you can apply if you
- Are over 18 years old
- Live in the EU
- Have completed your full-time higher education in the UK within the past 3 years
When you apply, we’ll ask to see your degree certificate and 2 original documents (not photocopies) from this list.
Just head to your local branch to apply for your Higher Education Account. We’ll even switch your existing payments, if you’d like us to, within 7 working days.
Get in touch
Questions about our Higher Education Account? We’re here to help.
We’re online 24/7. Call us instead if you have a question that we’d need to check your identity to answer.
Tweet @BarclaysUKHelp and we’ll reply within 2 hours. Call us if you have a question that we’d need to check your identity to answer.
New to us? Call 0345 600 4545, Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm, and Saturday, 9am-5pm. If you already bank with us, call anytime5 on 0345 734 5345.