Exterior industrial business units with coloured roller shutters

SIPP and SSAS loans

Borrow against your pension fund

Get a mortgage for a commercial property with self-invested personal pensions (SIPP) or a small self-administered scheme (SSAS).

Email us now at nationalpensionsdebt@barclayscorp.com

Any property used as security, which may include your home, may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments.

Why borrow against your pension scheme?

Structured funding for commercial properties

Use your pension funds to buy a commercial property to rent out, increasing the pension’s net value.

Potential tax benefits

Borrowing against a pension fund as possible tax benefits. We recommend you seek independent financial advice on this.

LTV up to 70%

Borrow up to 70% the cost of the property against a pension fund.

Structured to your specific requirements

  • A choice of interest rate types – fixed or floating (linked to the Barclays Bank Base Rate) or a combination of both. Fixed rates are available for up to 10 years. If you cancel or chose to repay your mortgage early, breakage costs may apply
  • Lending available up to 50% of the net value of your pension fund
  • Payments on a capital and interest basis
  • We will have first legal charge over the property
  • Arrangement, valuation, security and prepayment fees, and associated borrowing costs will apply

Application process overview

  1. E-mail us now at nationalpensionsdebt@barclayscorp.com to request a SIPP or SSAS property loan.
  2. We’ll instruct a bank-approved partner to value the property. We’ll let you know how much this will cost in advance, and it’ll be non-refundable.
  3. You or your independent financial advisor (IFA) give us 3 years’ financial accounts for the company that will rent the property.
  4. We’ll then assess the mortgage against the 3 items above.
  5. If approved, we’ll send a facility letter to your pension provider and the legal paperwork to solicitors.
  6. The facility letter is agreed by everyone and returned to us.
  7. Signed legal paperwork and a Report on Title (ROT) is sent to us by the solicitors.
  8. We’ll review all the documents.

What you need to know

To apply for this type of property-backed, pension-linked borrowing, you’ll need to have set up either a self-invested personal pension (SIPP) or a small self-administered scheme (SSAS). You can do this through a professional provider or an authorised IFA.

Our specialist pensions team will provide more information about the lending criteria and process involved in a SIPP or SSAS property loan, and will work with you to structure a loan that meets your financial needs. They’ll also discuss our savings products, which may be of interest to you.

As SIPP and SSAS are types of pension, you should discuss their suitability with an IFA, and ask for advice on the effect they’ll have on your pension plan and investment structures.

You may also be interested in…


Business loans

You know your business. We know how to help.

It’s the hardest job you’ve ever done. We know how to help you take the next step, with unsecured business loans of up to £100k1.

 commercial mortgage

Commercial mortgages

Commercial mortgages built around you

Whether you need to buy a new building or release equity from your existing one, a commercial mortgage could be the answer2.