Switching to Barclays
Options to switch
The Current Account Switch Service lets you move your account from your bank or building society to us in a simple, reliable and hassle-free way.
Free digital banking for your first 12 months1
Free invoicing and account software from FreshBooks2, worth more than £260 per year
A UK-based team of business managers to help you manage and grow your business
Specialist advice from our international team of high-growth and entrepreneurial experts
Local and industry teams for larger, more complex businesses
The Current Account Switch Service
This is a free service that lets you switch a current account from one participating bank or building society to another in seven working days. It’s simple and stress-free, and the full switch option is backed by the Current Account Switch Guarantee [PDF, 40 KB].
As part of the full switch, we transfer all your payment orders in and out (like salary and Direct Debits) to your new account with us. We’ll also set up a payment redirection for any credits or debits from your old account for a minimum of three years.
We’ll contact you before your switch date if there are any issues during the process. We’ll refund any interest (paid or lost) and charges incurred on either your old or new current accounts, as soon as we’re told, if anything goes wrong.
Switching to Barclays [PDF, 2.1MB]
How does it work?
Give us a few details and choose a full or partial switch
We set it all up and tell you when it’s done
Full or partial switch?
Fully switching your account takes just seven working days through a Barclays Business Manager. During your appointment, we’ll agree a switch date with you before you sign the agreement.
Day 1 to 2
- We’ll contact your old bank and ask for details of any regular payments
- Your old bank will send us details of all your regular payments
Day 3 to 5
- We’ll write to you confirming the switch has been accepted and which payments we’ll be setting up
- We’ll set your payments up on your new account, ready for your switch date
- We’ll arrange for card payments to be redirected, if applicable
- We’ll give your new account details to all the companies you have Direct Debits with, ready for your switch date
- We’ll contact your old bank and ask to transfer any credit balance.
- Any credit balance will be transferred to your new account
- All payments on your old account will be cancelled
- Your old account will be closed
- We’ll contact you to confirm that the switch has completed
Any payments made to your old account after your switch day will be redirected to your new account for a minimum of three years.
Any regular payments due to be paid from your old account after your switch day will be taken from your new account.
How to apply
Established businesses turning over more than £400k
If you’ve been trading for more than a year, and you turned over more than £400k in the last 12 months, our Business Development Managers can help you switch.