Question 1 of 1 about PPI complaints information

How do I claim on my PPI policy if I can't work?

You may have been offered payment protection insurance (PPI) when you took out a loan, mortgage, overdraft, credit card or store card. It was designed to cover payments if you were unable to because of an accident, sickness, involuntary unemployment or your death.

Although we no longer offer PPI, you may still have an active policy with us. Here’s what to do if you want to make a claim on your policy, or if you want to cancel it.

You can make a claim on your policy if you can’t work because of

  • Accident
  • Sickness 
  • Involuntary unemployment
  • Hospitalisation

Or, if the policyholder has died and you’re claiming on their behalf.

Your policy is provided by Monument Insurance DAC and Monument Assurance DAC1. If you need to make a claim for any of the above, please call Monument on

0800 056 1414

If you took out your PPI policy with a Barclaycard, please call

0800 056 1416 

Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5.30pm2.

Want to cancel your policy?

Details of how to cancel are in your policy documents. You can also call Monument on the number above or visit a Barclays branch. 

To cancel a policy you took out for a Barclaycard, please call 0800 151 0900. We’re open from Monday to Friday from 7am to 8pm, and Saturday from 9am to 5pm.

Question 1 of 1 about PPI complaints information