What do I do if I’ve spotted a payment transaction I don’t recognise?
Whether you’re paying by card or online, there could be a number of explanations for a transaction you don’t immediately recognise:
- Have you set up a Continuous Payment Authority as a recurring transaction on your account?
- The company you made a payment to may have a different trading name. A quick internet search can help or see our list of retailer names and their related trading names below
- Is the amount on the receipt different to the amount on the statement? This could happen with overseas transactions as a result of changes in the exchange rate
- Do you have a joint account? Could the other account holder have made the transaction?
- Have you signed an agreement or contract with a retailer or broker, who’s then charged you for a service? Check the terms and conditions of any agreement. We’ve included common instances of this in our list
- Have you signed up to a free trial for something that has become a paid service? Check any agreements you signed up to with a trial. You’ll find some examples of these in our list
- Could it be a payment you’ve set up incorrectly in Online Banking? Check the bank you sent the payment to using your transaction history (you can identify it using the sort code) and ask them to look into whether your payment can be returned to you
- The retailer may have made a mistake in charging you – contact them directly to find out
If none of these options help, please call us on one of the numbers below. We can raise an official dispute for up to 120 days after the date on your statement.
Wealth Management Customers
Premier Global Clients (BI) - +44 (0) 162 468 4444 *
Retail International Clients (BUK) - +44 (0) 162 468 4444 *
Wealth Client Services Onshore (BUK) - +44 (0) 207 761 5138 *
Wealth Client Services Offshore (BI) - +44 (0) 207 574 3008*
Blue Notch / Picture cards - +44 2476 842 099*
0800 056 4890*
Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Be aware that some disputes can take time to resolve. The process has various steps so please respond to us within the timeframes given in our letters to you to ensure we can work on your claim, otherwise it could be unsuccessful.
If you don’t recognise a transaction that’s showing as ‘pending’ in your Barclays Mobile Banking or Online Banking, under Visa’s regulations, we won’t be able to investigate it until it has been made and appears in your account activity. This is because there isn’t enough available information for an investigation while a transaction is pending.
Common trading names
Don’t recognise a payment from your account? Our list may be able to help identify companies’ trading names and/or the services they provide.