What you need to know before you apply
Here’s the information you’ll need to hand
- Mortgage balance
- Remaining mortgage term
- Repayment type (either repayment, or part interest only and part repayment)
- Your current interest rate
- Your follow-on rate and start date (optional)
- If you’re extending your mortgage term, you’ll need the number of people on the mortgage, their dates of birth and planned retirement ages
- Consent from everyone on the mortgage that they agree to the support you’re applying for and that you’ll be sharing their details in the application
If you’ve recently switched rates (even if this hasn’t taken effect yet), you can also work out what your monthly payments would be with your new rates by providing:
- Your next interest rate and start date – this may apply if you’ve already agreed to a new rate
- Next interest rate follow-on rate and start date. The follow-on rate will be listed in the Mortgage Offer (Section 3) for your rate switch. You can check your mortgage offer in the app by selecting ‘More’, then ‘Statements and documents’, or in Online Banking by going to ‘Tools’, selecting ‘Statements and documents’ and then choosing your mortgage.
Use our Mortgage Charter calculator to make sure this is right for you. It’ll show you:
- How switching to interest-only will change your monthly payments during the support period and after it ends
- How extending your term will change your monthly payments
- How any changes will affect the total overall cost of your mortgage
You’ll need the above details about your mortgage to use the calculator. It’s important you enter the most recent, accurate information to get a clear view of how either of these options could affect your mortgage and budget. If you enter vague or inaccurate information, it’ll significantly affect the calculations.
You can find your mortgage information in the Barclays app or Online Banking. If you’re unable to use either of these, please call us on 0333 202 7580. We’re here Monday to Friday, from 7am to 8pm and at weekends from 7am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays).
If you’re worried you’ll struggle to make your payments
If you’re worried about making your next monthly payment, please call us on 0333 202 7407 so we can look at the best way to support you. We’re here Monday to Thursday, from 8am to 8pm, Fridays from 8am to 6pm and Saturdays from 9am to 1pm (excluding bank holidays).
We can help you figure out how best to manage your mortgage if you talk to us about your financial situation and any issues that might affect your payments. If you can, it helps to make any payments towards your mortgage you can afford.
If your Mortgage Charter support ends soon, see our End of Mortgage Charter support page for guidance on what happens next.