How can I set up and amend third parties to manage my account for me?

Barclays Smart Investor can only support power of attorney or court of protection third party relationships at the moment.

Power of attorney is a legal arrangement that allows a person, a professional (such as a solicitor) or a bank to manage someone’s financial affairs.

To set it up, you need to first register the power of attorney with the appropriate government body – which one depends on where you live. Only once you’ve done this can it be registered with us and access to your accounts given to your attorneys.

For more information on power of attorney and how to register one with us, please refer to our step-by-step guide and submission form.

If you want to amend an existing power of attorney please call us on 0800 279 3667* or 0141 352 3919*.

The Court of Protection has the power to appoint a deputy to act on someone's behalf if they can no longer manage their own affairs.

This could suit you if:

  • A family member, friend or someone you're caring for has lost the mental capacity to manage their own affairs
  • You are an appointee on a claimant's account with a balance over the maximum of £5,000.

You can apply to the Court of Protection to act as someone’s deputy so you can make decisions on their behalf. Once you have been appointed as a deputy by the Court of Protection, you can register with us.

*Call charges may apply. Please check with your service provider. To maintain a quality service we may monitor or record phone calls.