How do I close my Barclays Smart Investor account?
We're sorry to hear that you're thinking about leaving us.
We’re here to help
If you want to discuss your decision, or to see if there’s anything we can do to help, please call us on 0800 279 3667 or 0141 352 39191.
How to close your account
We hope it’s something we can fix, but if you make the decision to close your account there are two ways of doing so:
- The easiest way is to call us on 0800 279 3667 or 0141 352 39191, and we can help you close your account over the phone.
- Alternatively, you can send a written instruction to close your account to the following address:
Barclays Service Centre
If you’re closing an Investment ISA, keep in mind you’ll lose the tax benefits if you withdraw cash or assets from it. You can retain these benefits by transferring to an ISA with a new provider.
Instructions for closing your account if you choose to write to us
Please let us know in your letter how you would like us to close your account, and where any cash and/or assets on your account should be paid.
Please sell all the investments in my account, then pay all cash to my nominated bank account, and close my account.
Below is a list of example sale instructions:
- Sell my investments
- Cash in
- Any instruction referring to the settlement of proceeds.
Please be advised that funds can only be paid to the nominated bank account connected with your Smart Investor account(s), should you wish funds to be paid to a different account you will be required to set up a new nominated bank account and provide the relevant information.
There are some instructions that we aren’t able to process. These are listed below, so please don’t include them in your letter:
- Dispose of my investments
- Close the account and send proceeds
- Surrender (on its own)
Should we not be able to complete your request for any reason, we will write to you to explain why. We will also provide you with the next steps to complete your closure.
Transferring to a new broker?
If you are intending to transfer your investments to a new broker, we advise you to go directly to your intended new service provider as they can initiate the transfer on your behalf.
Please be advised most transfers take 2 – 6 weeks to complete, dependent on the following factors:
- Who you are transferring to and how long they take to process your transfer
- The nature and complexity of your investment
- How you want to transfer your portfolio
- Whether any outstanding fees or debt positions on your account need to be settled
Administration fees on your account
Any administration fees that you have outstanding will be charged on a pro-rata basis, up to the date that we process your closing instruction.